Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

DIY Down Vest

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DIY Down Vest

A down vest has occupied my thoughts the past few days.

Originally, my intention was to make a tracing of my Patagonia down sweater in three parts; two front sections and one back section. The Patagonia down sweater is actually five sections...it has two side panels as well as the front and back.

It is embarrassing to admit, but here is my dilemma. I pulled the skirt up like a tube top and it made me look like the marshmallow man. The intended use for the vest is not necessarily for the trail but also for everyday life...I want it to look decent as well as be functional.

Will sewing the baffles into smaller sections reduce the puffiness? Will it also reduce its warmth and functionality? What do y’all think about making side panels in a different material?
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis
    • Here is a comparison of baffle size on my diy skirt and my Patagonia jacket (ignore the inaccurate colors). Comparing the two is what gave me the idea to reduce the size of the baffles on the throw.
      Images
      • E75B8297-008C-4ACC-94D9-4ED120E4AD34.jpeg

63.39 kB, 450×600, viewed 22 times
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bo Peep ().

• First step is to make a pattern.

A piece of plastic worked well for tracing the panels of my jacket. I traced the back, side, and front then cut them out. Before cutting the throw, I will add an inch all around for seam allowances.
      Images
      • A21C88B2-8147-4A8D-BF1F-8021876BA4E5.jpeg

151.39 kB, 449×600, viewed 24 times

Stephan Pastis
    • Made a swatch and decided to sew the pre-existing baffles into thirds for the back and front panels. The sides will have smaller baffles.

Got the back panel done. The baffles aren’t 100% centered but I’m happy with it. Four more panels to go then the challenging part...sewing it all together.
      Images
      • 1C066780-560A-4C43-9B0D-1552E4F49BF4.jpeg

71.77 kB, 450×600, viewed 20 times
      • EBD6EA29-FC7E-4A8F-8BBD-9F6ABE33B1F8.jpeg

182.44 kB, 800×600, viewed 19 times
      • 844835A3-977D-48EF-81AF-A56AC3F26A82.jpeg

83.82 kB, 450×600, viewed 18 times
      • 62E770C0-4850-4168-857B-5406F533371A.jpeg

73.68 kB, 450×600, viewed 21 times

Stephan Pastis
    • Oh my...it’s a bit snug around the chest. 8o

It only needs a zipper, collar, and sleeve edging.
      Images
      • 022A2299-5ECA-4259-B7CF-70343FE15072.jpeg

162.93 kB, 506×600, viewed 21 times

Stephan Pastis
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Thanks for those links JJ. I used a French seam that was explained on the Thru-Hiker site.
      I am so FULL of USELESS info - My Grandfather who was stationed in France WW1 (1918) noticed a war shortage of nylons among st the french women. They used to take a fine mascara and paint a french seam on their legs to make the men pay attention to them. He figured out a way to get the nylons from England to France hiddin in letters.

Here is the rest of the story SMITHSONIAN CLICK AND SCROLL DOWN.
      Numerous studies suggest that eating a single steak significantly increases the vulnerability to consuming the warm entrails of a freshly killed hitchhiker. Gateway Cannibals!
    • One of my uncles while serving in France and Germany in the closing months of WWII and the occupation would speak of the girls using this technique. Usually such stories would be prompted by a couple of beers while sittting around the fire at a fishing or hunting camp.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

Thanks for those links JJ. I used a French seam that was explained on the Thru-Hiker site.
      I am so FULL of USELESS info - My Grandfather who was stationed in France WW1 (1918) noticed a war shortage of nylons among st the french women. They used to take a fine mascara and paint a french seam on their legs to make the men pay attention to them. He figured out a way to get the nylons from England to France hiddin in letters.
      Here is the rest of the story SMITHSONIAN CLICK AND SCROLL DOWN.
      That's pretty interesting, Wise Old Owl. The difficulty of getting nylon stockings in wartime has been featured in a number of period shows, including a favorite of mine (recent only to me), Foyle's War. I heartily recommend it.
    • Bias tape was used to edge arm holes and neck. Turned out pretty good. The one on the left (right arm hole), is much better but I’m not redoing the other one.

Waiting for the roads to improve before venturing out to buy a zipper.
      Images
      • F496A87A-2991-455A-A250-9CDC8E0FD6C1.jpeg

71.71 kB, 450×600, viewed 22 times

Stephan Pastis
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Bias tape was used to edge arm holes and neck. Turned out pretty good. The one on the left (right arm hole), is much better but I’m not redoing the other one.

Waiting for the roads to improve before venturing out to buy a zipper.
      A pair of down pants would be nice, came to that conclusion camping this past week end, called a friend who has a pair and asked where he got his, he said Western Mountaineering and told me he would give me a pair he'd worn once before outgrowing them, looked them up on the web, $250, told him I would buy them but would not let him give them to me, he said bourbon and a good cigar the next time we get together, I'll only buy them if he sets a serious price.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Dang, so close to finishing and I can’t find a separating zipper so will have to order one. Man, I was on a roll too.

An alternative is to line the front edges with bias tape and use a toggle closure. That’s what I’m leaning towards.

Stephan Pastis

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bo Peep ().

• Time Zone wrote:

That's pretty interesting, Wise Old Owl. The difficulty of getting nylon stockings in wartime has been featured in a number of period shows, including a favorite of mine (recent only to me), Foyle's War. I heartily recommend it.
      TimeZone,
      I watched like the first 9 seasons of Foyle's War when it was on Netflix. Supposedly there are another four seasons. If you now anywhere they are available, please let me know.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Dang, so close to finishing and I can’t find a separating zipper so will have to order one. Man, I was on a roll too.

An alternative is to line the front edges with bias tape and use a toggle closure. That’s what I’m leaning towards.
      hold out for a zipper
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

Time Zone wrote:

TimeZone,I watched like the first 9 seasons of Foyle's War when it was on Netflix. Supposedly there are another four seasons. If you now anywhere they are available, please let me know.
      OK, but don't hold your breath. I'm not super plugged-in to TV and movies etc., and was pretty late to the party in terms of knowing about Foyle's War.

That said, IMDB and Wikipedia only list 8 seasons total, so I'm not sure about the others of which you speak. I would love to see DCS Foyle again, though I was less enamoured of the postwar episodes and their milieu than the wartime ones.
    • Time Zone wrote:

Astro wrote:

Time Zone wrote:

TimeZone,I watched like the first 9 seasons of Foyle's War when it was on Netflix. Supposedly there are another four seasons. If you now anywhere they are available, please let me know.
      OK, but don't hold your breath. I'm not super plugged-in to TV and movies etc., and was pretty late to the party in terms of knowing about Foyle's War.
      That said, IMDB and Wikipedia only list 8 seasons total, so I'm not sure about the others of which you speak. I would love to see DCS Foyle again, though I was less enamoured of the postwar episodes and their milieu than the wartime ones.
      I think the "5 extra seasons" was actually the 6 extra episodes after WW2 (making up Seasons 7 and 8). Thus I have actually seen all 8 seasons. Thanks for helping me clear that up. :)
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Originally, my intention was to make a tracing of my Patagonia down sweater in three parts; two front sections and one back section. The Patagonia down sweater is actually five sections...it has two side panels as well as the front and back.

It is embarrassing to admit, but here is my dilemma. I pulled the skirt up like a tube top and it made me look like the marshmallow man. The intended use for the vest is not necessarily for the trail but also for everyday life...I want it to look decent as well as be functional.

Will sewing the baffles into smaller sections reduce the puffiness? Will it also reduce its warmth and functionality? What do y’all think about making side panels in a different material?
      A down skirt, a down vest, I have to give you credit, you're one ambitious person.
      I wish I was that motivated.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

A down skirt, a down vest, I have to give you credit, you're one ambitious person.I wish I was that motivated.
      Or for me, that talented. :)
    • A down skirt, a down vest, down pants... what is all this for? Some of it I understand. If I was winter camping and had that on and jumped into a light Down bag, it all makes sense for a night and provides movement to toss and turn.

What's next a Down Hoodie?
      Numerous studies suggest that eating a single steak significantly increases the vulnerability to consuming the warm entrails of a freshly killed hitchhiker. Gateway Cannibals!