Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2017 Hiking Miles

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2017 Hiking Miles

How many miles did you hike in 2017 11
        >2,000 (0) 0%
        1,500 (0) 0%
        1,000 (0) 0%
        750 (0) 0%
        500 (1) 9%
        250 (3) 27%
        100 (4) 36%
        <100 (3) 27%
      I thought it would be interesting to see how many miles we actually hike each year. So this poll is for the past year, 2016.
      • Please include all trails, not just the AT.

• All miles hiked, not just new ones (I know some of some of us do a lot of out and backs, or local trails we hit hit often).

• Counting hiking on trails, not just walking around the neighborhood or the local track.
      To make it look simpler I just put the levels, but 100 would be 100-249, 250 would be 250-499, etc..
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Unfortunately I hiked zero miles this year, at least with a backpack. I did a nice day hike up to a waterfall in Norway with views that put anything I've seen to shame, plus countless walks in our local nature centers and PRNL, but not sure if those count as "hiking". I have daughters in KY and NC, a sister in law in Ontario, and parents in IL. The parents are too old to travel much and the daughters early in careers, so it was upon us to travel, or not see anyone, and I was informed not seeing family was not an option. That pretty much used up the whole budget for travel time and money. I had a couple weekends to do a local trail in the fall, but then the flu and platars faciitis interfered. But on the bright side, we did get to see the life sized butter cow at the Illinois State Fair.

Any rules about allowing non hikers like me to post here? Might I be put on double secret probation?
    • I don't keep track of mileage too closely, especially day hiking mileage, since it is primarily rehiking the same few local trails, however I do know that I got in ten bag nights this year, mostly on the A.T., that's
      during a year when I also welcomed my second child into this world.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • 74 AT miles
      About 50 walking to Trail work projects
      50ish Connecticut blue blaze winter
      miles
      But......... about 200 miles on my bikes.
      And now that I have a trainer, I’ll do twice that in my garage before the daffodils bloom.
      I’m hoping that I can hook up with Rafe and do the GAP & C&O canal this spring
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

74 AT miles
      miles
      And now that I have a trainer, I’ll do twice that in my garage before the daffodils bloom.
      Do the C+O first or you'll be spoiled by the GAP
      Along the C+O there are sections with rocks, roots, mud and pot holes, but not an unreasonable amount.
      The surface of the GAP is much, Much, MUCH better.
    • LIhikers wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

74 AT miles
      miles
      Do the C+O first or you'll be spoiled by the GAPAlong the C+O there are sections with rocks, roots, mud and pot holes, but not an unreasonable amount.
      The surface of the GAP is much, Much, MUCH better.
      it will be a time issue
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Completed 99 AT miles in 2017. My plan for completing a summer section hike in the Whites got killed by scheduling conflicts. Added another 20 or so miles between my trekking in China's Yellow Mountain region and my local state Park.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • max.patch wrote:

450 :(

i've kept a spreadheet since 2006. last year was 1,040. 2007 was my previous low at 925.

which one of you is in that 500-749 mile category?
      That would be me, but it looks like I erred or cheated by rounding up. I estimate that I'm at about 450 miles with a backpack last year.

450 may be your low, but it is my high :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • so we allo

IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i've kept a spreadheet since 2006. last year was 1,040. 2007 was my previous low at 925.

That would be me, but it looks like I erred or cheated by rounding up. I estimate that I'm at about 450 miles with a backpack last year.
      So we are allowed to cheat by rounding off? I didn't know that. I want to chage my "zero" to "zero +/- 1000". ;)
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

you win the tiebreaker -- where you hike the miles are harder than where i'm at!
      2,000 miler