Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Journey to South Texas

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Journey to South Texas

An opportunity was presented for travel to Austin TX and points South recently. Not one to turn down the event, I quickly set off. As the trip involved mostly driving, I had a few opportunities to hike. Here's a few pics of the journey.

The geological feature near Shiprock NM.

appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…f0a313b2e5cee39ce1fe16e81

Departed Utah in shirtsleeves and arrived to snowy San Antonio .
      Images
      • image.jpg

181.26 kB, 600×600, viewed 499 times

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dan76 ().

• Hiked the San Antonio Mission trail with Fergie...a service dog in training. Visited each of the five missions. The Alamo is not part of the National Park Mission Trail but is administered by the state of Texas.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • The San Antonio River Walk has expanded in recent years to include the Pioneer Flour Mill featuring the Guenther House, a fine eatery featuring baked goods made with Pioneer Flour.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Traveling southward, Fergie and I stayed at lodging on Corpus Christi NAS. We visited the historic Lexington, a WWII aircraft carrier, now a museum. Parked on her flight deck are various aircraft, (including an Army helicopter) not representative of the aircraft she once launched.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • stopped for a quick hike through Park Avenue in Arches National Park. Again fresh snow had fallen the day prior creating an infrequently viewed wonder.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Once dislocated my toe jumping off one of the planes in Corpus Christi around 30 years ago. Spent hours waiting in the emergency room on a Saturday night as all of the more serious patients (gun shot, stabbed, wrecks, etc..) went in front of me. In hindsight probably should have just had someone try to yank it back in place.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Good choice.

Though I was reminded why I appreciate the climate of Utah. I was helping an acquaintance with lawn work in San Antonio during a mid-sixties day in a drizzling rain and still sweated my ### off.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I also enjoyed that you shared your trip with us! After I graduated, I worked in SA for 3 yrs. Also walked the Mission Trail and when we visited for the Alamo Bowl about 14 yrs ago, we attended a Christmas Posada play at one of the missions. Worked at the Frost Bank Tower just a block and a half from the riverwalk; spent many fine lunch hours at the Mexican Manhatten on the riverwalk. Padre Island; VERY good times; I still feel sorry for the little crab that I accidentally poured bacon grease on after cooking breakfast (we camped on the beach). Also found dozens of sand dollars that I brought back to Michigan when I returned and used with preschoolers in a Sunday School class on God gives us sea life. Never saw snow there.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Good choice.

Though I was reminded why I appreciate the climate of Utah. I was helping an acquaintance with lawn work in San Antonio during a mid-sixties day in a drizzling rain and still sweated my ### off.
      Haha. I flew out of Michigan on about 12/10 many, many yrs ago with close to 2 ft of snow on the ground for an interview. I had on a down parka, sweatshirt, sweater, long sleeve shirts and thermal underwear. On the ride from the airport to the hotel, I started peeling layers off until I only had one shirt and the thermal underwear on. After I checked into my room, I put on shorts and a t-shirt and went walking around downtown SA in beautiful sunny 64 degree weather. Imagine my surprise that people stared at me while I stared at them wearing coats, jackets and in one instance a fur coat.
    • yep, years ago I was in TX for training during the fall.
      One day everyone started coming to the plant in parkas, hats scarfs, glove ect while I was dressed in a polo shirt and jeans.
      I asked someone if a storm was expected and they looked at me like I was crazy and then replied, no, just this cold weather.
      It was in the 60s.
    • LIhikers wrote:

yep, years ago I was in TX for training during the fall.
      One day everyone started coming to the plant in parkas, hats scarfs, glove ect while I was dressed in a polo shirt and jeans.
      I asked someone if a storm was expected and they looked at me like I was crazy and then replied, no, just this cold weather.
      It was in the 60s.
      I must confess, I would have been one of those guys. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

yep, years ago I was in TX for training during the fall.
      It was in the 60s.
      While stationed in San Antonio,. I was usually the one in short sleeves during what passes for the winter months. .

However today was in the mid-40s and I cleared snow around the two fire hydrants on the block while wearing shorts and a tee-shirt.

Furthermore I'm still adjusting from the sea level stay to this 5000' locale.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC