Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2018 LT E2E

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2018 LT E2E

So, I was gonna do it this year, but I ended up buying a new, old house and selling my old, old house, and moving all our old shite from our old house to our much smaller new house, providing a downsizing opportunity unparalleled in my lifetime. So I didn't hike.

The plan as it stands is to start second week in August, and hike nobo. As the certified slackest hiker on the AT, I plan to transfer the habits that earned me that distinction to the LT. 270 miles at my avg rate of 9 MPHD yields 30 hiking days. Add 4 resupplies/zeros and I'm at 34 days. That should get me to Canada third week in September.

I might just keep going ...

Shouldn't be too cold. Mean temp is 54, Avg Low is 47, Record Low is 33. A merino tee, a light fleece, a light puffy, a shell, and a beanie, with a mid-weight base layer to sleep in ought to do it, eh?

I scored a Warbonnet Traveller off MassDrop. Got adequate TQ and UQ, but no mosquito netting ... Will I regret that?

I do plan to enjoy that there are few, if any, "purists" hiking the LT, and to take the old route up the Sherburne Trail. Bag Pico and zero at the Inn at Long Trail.

See you out there
      -
      L.Dog
      AT 2000 Mile LASHer '12-'15
    • LDog wrote:

I do plan to enjoy that there are few, if any, "purists" hiking the LT, and to take the old route up the Sherburne Trail. Bag Pico and zero at the Inn at Long Trail.
      as a non judgemental purist, i'll point out that if someone were to stay on the AT/LT that when it rejoins the sherbourne pass trail north of the inn that one is only 1/2 mile from the inn -- head S on the SPT.
      2,000 miler
    • I really enjoyed the Inn at Long Trail! :thumbup:
      I did VT around that time in 2016, and it was pretty crowded until the two trails split. I am sure you will not be lonesome at the first part.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

I'm sure you won't regret that stop at The Inn At The Long Trail.
      Here's hoping that all goes well.
      I stopped there during an AT sobo section. I heard about how the reroute took "The Inn ON Long Trail," off the trail from the innkeep over an irish whiskey. It was a highlight of the hike and can't wait to get back ... The way it was intended!
      -
      L.Dog
    • I suppose it all depends on your tolerance for bugs. For me, on a warm night in August, I would definitely want protection. On a cool night in September, not so much.

Your three main enemies are mosquitos, black flies and flies. Although the situation will be much improved in August, some mosquitos and black flies will still be around. For me just one of these things buzzing around my face in the middle of the night is enough to ruin a comfortable nights sleep. YMMV

On the Long Trail I experienced a fair number of flies. I'm not sure what species they were They were like a house fly, only bigger. They seem to be associated with the piles of moose droppings you will see along the trail (and the occasional moose carcass). I don't know, maybe there is such a thing as a 'moose fly.'

The moose flies never bit me, but I still found them annoying when they landed on me and buzzed around me. These were only an issue in the daylight, I never saw one at night.

Anyway, maybe I am a wimp. I appreciated my bug netting. Good luck on your hike.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Anyway, maybe I am a wimp. I appreciated my bug netting. Good luck on your hike.
      Nah, The black flies, and those damn gnats doggedly trying to fly into my eyes made me insane. I pack, and use a head net while hiking.

When I got the Warbonnet, I saved 8 oz over my Hennesy w/integrated bug net. Now the Warbonnet is longer, wider, and consequently more comfortable than the Hennesy, but I checked out there optional bug net, and it weighs 8 ozs ...

Doh!
      -
      L.Dog