Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Eathquakes along the AT trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Eathquakes along the AT trail

Well it happened a massive and rarely felt earthquake that happened in Dover Delaware yesterday is part of a bigger cycle. The posted article came a month earlier about known spikes in activity. When I discuss earthquakes... If I say "Dover DE" and it's over 5 this can be felt in New England, Philadelphia and New York. Odd as the waves bounce - When it happened I was driving and did not notice it, I heard it. Others feel it. Here is more to read on this very rare phenomenon in the Eastern region. This is a interesting theory about the earthquakes.

CLICK

In Reading PA 23 years ago a huge earthquake shook the building I was standing in. Stuff flew off the shelves. It was blamed at the time to a quarry that had filled with water. 911 was so inundated they could not respond to all the calls. Unrelated? I have no idea - its a theory.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • We were in Bush Gardens VA. a few years back when a earthquake hit, needless to say they shut down all the rides. We were in the cafeteria at the time and my buddy sitting across from me felt it, while I did not, my daughter commented to my wife “is that supposed to do that” pointing out a very large wagon wheel chandelier swinging to and froe. I’d visited my Pop for years in San Francisco and never felt one there either...I guess I’m grounded.
    • When I was a kid in Ohio there was a very minor one. I don't recall any details as to where the center was or anything, just that I was laying in bed and there was a really weird rumble that only lasted a second or so.

The quake you may have read about in the news recently that hit here in Iraq, that one was centered about 100 miles from here. Definitely felt that one. The building I'm in was swaying side to side quite a bit (or maybe just FELT like quite a bit) for a good two minutes if not longer. Scared the ever-loving sh*t out of me. After it quit I felt like the building was still moving. I had to step outside to reboot the equilibrium. If anyone offers me that opportunity again I'll ask if I can opt for a root canal without anesthesia.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

When I was a kid in Ohio there was a very minor one. I don't recall any details as to where the center was or anything, just that I was laying in bed and there was a really weird rumble that only lasted a second or so.

The quake you may have read about in the news recently that hit here in Iraq, that one was centered about 100 miles from here. Definitely felt that one. The building I'm in was swaying side to side quite a bit (or maybe just FELT like quite a bit) for a good two minutes if not longer. Scared the ever-loving sh*t out of me. After it quit I felt like the building was still moving. I had to step outside to reboot the equilibrium. If anyone offers me that opportunity again I'll ask if I can opt for a root canal without anesthesia.
      root canal with out anesthesia, it must have been pretty rough. 8o
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Grinder wrote:

When I was a kid in Ohio there was a very minor one. I don't recall any details as to where the center was or anything, just that I was laying in bed and there was a really weird rumble that only lasted a second or so.

root canal with out anesthesia, it must have been pretty rough. 8o
      Just scary as hell. I've been through a bunch of hurricanes, had some tornadoes nearby. They weren't fun, but didn't really shake me (no pun intended). This was just...**shudders**. With a hurricane you get tons of warning. With a tornado, there's at least a storm in your area. This? Zip, zero, zilch, nil, nada, nothing. Just RUMBLE RUMBLE RATTLE SHAKE.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • When I was in Jr highschool we lived in El Centro, Ca. It's located about 10 miles north of Mexico out in the middle of the desert. We'd feel small earthquakes all the time. Other times you'd come home and notice the pictures hanging on the wall were all slanted. We'd also go camping a lot at Anza Borago. Sitting around the fire at night was a cool time to feel one. My favorite one was sleeping on a cot under the stars at Joshua Tree. On that trip my dad was driving the motor home and looking for elephant ear. We came up to a dry wash and he'd got out to see if it was safe to cross. My dad and friends who followed us in decided it was safe. It wasn't. We sunk really quick. They spent most of the night getting it out and that's where we set up camp for a few nights. Great memories!
    • I've felt earthquakes in Turkey, California, Utah, Iraq, Mexico, and Kentucky. Luckily no major damage or injuries...however Haiti was the exception for the above. Those folks have yet to recover.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC