Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2018

• odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

If my knees still feel ok after this LASH, I will be doing a Grand Canyon R2R in May. Fingers crossed.
      My daughter is planning to move to Las Vegas in a year or two. I'm thinking I can combine a visit into a GC hike. It's on my bucket list. May is a good time of the year for me. What are the chances of getting a permit in May?
      apply four months in advance. You probably won't get it. Do a walk up like me.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I just got the all clear from my orthopedic surgeon. Hike On!
      Bbbllllrrrrrrttt!!!!!!!
      Congrats, but take it easy at first.
      oh we are. First day is only like a 9 mile hike and we will only be carrying base weight plus breakfast, lunch, snacks, and umm whiskey and shine (can't trust the mailman with the good stuff lol) We will spend that night in the roach motel to where we have mailed drop boxes with four days of food. We're older, wiser, and maybe a little crazier. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I didn't post my tentative hiking plans this year because when I did last year, most were derailed.

So, I had 2+ weeks of vacation at the end of March. Intended to do 2 day hikes in the Smokies and near Franklin on the way down to Florida. That plan was derailed by a very bad cold. We left 4 days later than originally planned.

But being flexible and compromising on the back end plans, we started the drive back a day earlier and stayed in Franklin last Thursday. (Pro tip: do not arrive in Franklin after 9pm and expect that anyplace will be open for dinner; we went to Vito's Italian Restaurant and he was just leaving; he said the only place still open would be Huddle House.)

Hiked from Winding Stair Gap to Wayah Gap on Friday with my backpack about 1/3 full. I was definitely concerned particularly since many trail journals said that the climb out of Winding Stair Gap was pretty steep and as I was only able to do minimal training and the only walking I had done was flat land. Well, I'm here to say, don't believe everything that you read. The trail is graded very well with switchbacks and it wasn't too bad at all. Met a lot of great aspiring thruhikers: Goldilocks is a 35 yo pianist from NY who graciously pulled out his iphone to get some info for me, Just Paul is a 43 yo house contractor originally from VT but now in NC, Soup Spot-young gal, Mission-old guy hiking home to Maine, and Trout who did the PCT in 2016 and is hoping to do a triple crown.

Afterwards, went into Franklin directly to Outdoor 76. What a GREAT place! There's a bar in back with huge screen so my husband was occupied with some IPA's and watching the Tigers appear to win, then lose while I was fitted by the amazing Rob for some new trail shoes and everyday shoes. Then had a great dinner a few doors down from Outdoor 76. Drove to Knoxville for the night then back home last Saturday in time to arrive and watch the Final Four.

So, I have time off starting 4/13 through 4/21. Was hoping to hike somewhere in southern VA-central VA but right now the forecast is for rain. After hiking through MD last year and encountering rain 5 out of 6 days, I don't want to do that again. So, if anyone knows where on the trail, there won't be any rain or very low temps during that week, please let me know because it was such a darn good feeling to be walking on trail again, particularly as good as that NC trail was (MD was not fun with those rocks and boulders) and I would really like to have a good hike this year. :)
    • Hiked thru some snow flurries and then annoying misting rain today. The knee is not complaining so all is good. More reporting later.
      [attach=NaN][/attach]
      Images
      • IMG_20180409_100106006.jpg

290.78 kB, 800×600, viewed 9 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Hiked thru some snow flurries and then annoying misting rain today. The knee is not complaining so all is good. More reporting later.
      [attach=NaN][/attach]
      I really enjoyed it too. It was my next to last day of a 4 week LASH for me, and reunited one last time with several I had been hiking with over that time. :thumbup:

Did she cook supper for you?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

No. We went into town for Mexican.
      i cook and clean up after myself all week when hiking. when i'm in town i have zero interest in a communal meal where i have to help prepare and clean up afterwards. i'll take that ayce restaurant meal every time!

i'm steering clear of elmers sunnybank inn too!
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().