Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2018

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Jake Ace wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

March and April are tough months to pack for.
      The weather can go in any direction and you need to be ready for it all.
      I’ve lost more sweat shirts during that time of year, leave house all bundled up in the morning and come home in a t-shirt.
      I believe my three sons may be related to you.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I’ve lost more sweat shirts during that time of year, leave house all bundled up in the morning and come home in a t-shirt.
      I believe my three sons may be related to you
      Spent plenty of time at their school when they were growing up retrieving our items from the lost and found. With three sons in a row we needed those hand me downs. :)

By high school age I had trained them to regularly check the lost and found for themselves. Two are in college now and I see one of them come by to see me at my office and he is wearing a jacket I did not remember buying them. So I ask him where it came from, and he says his brother gave it to him. So when the next son comes by my office I ask him where he got the jacket he gave his brother. So he replies I kept checking the lost and found in high school and no one ever claimed it, so I decided I could use it. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I believe my three sons may be related to you.
      Bet my daughter has you all beat, she could not keep a jacket.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I've never needed more than rain pants over lightweight bottoms, like Terramar. In fact, I ski in essentially the same get up. Waterproof breathable pants(heavier denier than rain pants) with lightweight bottoms underneath. In camp, I just wear the same unless it is below 20. Then I throw on the heavier weight bottoms. I saw some dudes with....down pants on the AT. It got down to 25 that night, but these guys were awful proud of their down pants....

For a 3 night in March on the AT in TN or NC I bring:

1-Lightweight bottoms
      1-Heavier weight bottoms
      1-Hiking shorts
      1-Rain pants
      1-Rain jacket
      1-Long sleeve light zipT polypro
      2-Short sleeve Terramar T
      2-pr ExOfficio boxerbriefs
      1-MH Ghost Whisperer down jacket
      2-pair of polypro hiking socks
      1-pair of heavy weight polypro socks for sleeping
      1-Nike jogging gloves, polypro
      1-REI Event Rain Mitts
      1-Light weight skull cap
      1-Heavy weight balaclava for sleeping

YMMV....I run hot....
    • LIhikers wrote:

I have no idea about hiking for this year as I'm starting a new job on March 19.
      I took a noticeable pay cut but my commute will now be measured in minutes instead of hours and no toll bridges involved :)
      Good for you! I got tired of chasing the dollar and have turned down high paying jobs that involved a relocation or long commute.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Jake Ace wrote:

Hiking in summer I bring all my summer stuff. Hiking in winter I bring all my winter stuff. Hiking in early spring I bring all my summer stuff and winter stuff.
      So your pack is heaviest in the early Spring, and once Summer hits it is probably like runner sprinting after he takes the leg weights off.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I have no idea about hiking for this year as I'm starting a new job on March 19.
      I took a noticeable pay cut but my commute will now be measured in minutes instead of hours and no toll bridges involved :)
      Good for you! I got tired of chasing the dollar and have turned down high paying jobs that involved a relocation or long commute.
      A long commute sucks, but a relocation might be a good thing, someone once asked my wife if I was a Baptist preacher...we moved every five years, once it gets boring I have to move on, I can handle anything but boring.
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

A long commute sucks, but a relocation might be a good thing, someone once asked my wife if I was a Baptist preacher...we moved every five years, once it gets boring I have to move on, I can handle anything but boring.
      I've been offered several jobs in northern Virginia. I've politely told them they don't have enough money to get me up there in that mess. No frickin way.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

Hiking in summer I bring all my summer stuff. Hiking in winter I bring all my winter stuff. Hiking in early spring I bring all my summer stuff and winter stuff.
      So your pack is heaviest in the early Spring, and once Summer hits it is probably like runner sprinting after he takes the leg weights off.
      True! I always liked how after hiking for a few days the food load is lighter and you can feel it right about the same time you’re getting your legs...gliding down the trail. Tipi Walter must walk amongst the clouds.
    • I have always said each 5 minutes of a commute one way at the end of the year is worth a week of vacation at the end of the year.
      It really adds up. If you love your family, that is worth a lot. :)

I have never lived more than 10 minutes from work (at least when living in the USA) except when I first moved to Houston. Rented an apartment about 3 miles from the office where I worked the first 10 months. Only took 10 minutes on the weekend, but 30-60 minutes during rush hour. Hwy 290 was under construction and "shortcuts" through the neighborhoods weren't much better. Really drove the point home for me (fortunately I was single then). :)
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I've been offered several jobs in northern Virginia. I've politely told them they don't have enough money to get me up there in that mess. No frickin way.
      Northern VA sucks, but Roanoke, Glade Spring, and Broadway were all great places for me, lived in each for five years...Roanoke is an outdoor person's dream...New River south of town, James River north of town, Roanoke River thru town, AT one side of town and the Blueridge Parkway the other side...two huge national forests nearby with great hunting and fishing.
    • LIhikers wrote:

People used to ask me why I didn't rent a room near the job and stay there during my work week.
      The answer was always the same, because I want to live with my wife.
      I lived in Gadsden, AL and worked in Adairsville, GA for several years, had an apartment in Rome, GA I stayed in during the week and went home on week ends, wasn't too bad, had a gym across the street I went to every morning and evening so I had something to keep me out of trouble.
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Northern VA sucks, but Roanoke, Glade Spring, and Broadway were all great places for me, lived in each for five years...Roanoke is an outdoor person's dream...New River south of town, James River north of town, Roanoke River thru town, AT one side of town and the Blueridge Parkway the other side...two huge national forests nearby with great hunting and fishing.
      yep, my best friend lives in Daleville just outside of Roanoke with the AT two blocks from his house. He has provided a "base camp" for me many times and got another one coming up. NOVA sux.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • ScareBear wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

I've never needed more than rain pants over lightweight bottoms, likeTerramar. ...............................................
      I like Terramar products.Good quality at a good price from Campmor.
      Even better price from SierraTradingPost.com Just be sure to sign up for their emails and get that 25% off and free shipping!!!
      Thanks for the tip!
    • LIhikers wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

I've never needed more than rain pants over lightweight bottoms, likeTerramar. ...............................................
      I like Terramar products.Good quality at a good price from Campmor.
      Even better price from SierraTradingPost.com Just be sure to sign up for their emails and get that 25% off and free shipping!!!
      Thanks for the tip!
      I get all my MH gear there, all of my ski gloves/goggles/pants there, all my hydration bladders there and most everything I use for the AT, the mountains and working out there. Got my NEMO down bag there, my Kelty down bag there and a pair of $800 pro race ski boots for $150 there...just sayin! Back in the day, I used to anxiously await both STP and Campmor's quarterly paper catalogs...unfortunately STP was purchased by TJMAX a few years ago, so the ultradeep discounting may be over(I once got a pair of Volkl powder skis for $125 and promptly took them to Salt Lake City and traded them straight off for a pair of brand new Volants($600 skis) in the wrapper at a ski shop!) although you can still find screamer deals, like those race boots. Those are now on an aspiring Olympian's feet in Vail....
    • Jake Ace wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Some people carry this thing called a backpack when they go hiking. They take off a layer of clothing and put it in the backpack, thus having it available for another day.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Grinder wrote:

Jake Ace wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Some people carry this thing called a backpack when they go hiking. They take off a layer of clothing and put it in the backpack, thus having it available for another day.
      oh yeah
      finger.gif
    • Jake Ace wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Knew a girl with a similar attitude towards clothing. She was a lot of fun on a date.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Heading south two weeks from tomorrow. Gonna pack for sub-freezing nights and warm days. And everything in-between.

Going booze shopping in MD this weekend. I'm thinking Bailey's for the first night followed by some Bird Dog Apple Whisky.

Quick question - is there a booze store in Hot Springs? I need to know if we can refuel there or if I should bring supplies with me for the 45 miles between Hot Springs and Sams Gap.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Heading south two weeks from tomorrow. Gonna pack for sub-freezing nights and warm days. And everything in-between.

Going booze shopping in MD this weekend. I'm thinking Bailey's for the first night followed by some Bird Dog Apple Whisky.

Quick question - is there a booze store in Hot Springs? I need to know if we can refuel there or if I should bring supplies with me for the 45 miles between Hot Springs and Sams Gap.
      I don't think so but you might call and ask the outfitter. We put some in our drop box and mailed it to Standing Bear Hostel just north of the Smokys. I'm sure you could mail some to the outfitter or hostel in Hot Springs.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Heading south two weeks from tomorrow. Gonna pack for sub-freezing nights and warm days. And everything in-between.

I don't think so but you might call and ask the outfitter. We put some in our drop box and mailed it to Standing Bear Hostel just north of the Smokys. I'm sure you could mail some to the outfitter or hostel in Hot Springs.
      Since my daughter is bailing on us in Hot Springs, I can just leave some hooch in her car. Just one more thing to add to the 'leave in Hot Springs' list along with food and clean socks. Thanks!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • CoachLou wrote:

Got my Hut reservations, 15 Aug, Mizpah. 16 Aug, Lakes. 17 Aug, Madison......0840 shuttle, Pinkham to Webster cliff.

Try to catch up with Astro in Maine!

:thumbsup:
      Got my Hut reservations, 15 Aug, Mizpah. 16 Aug, Lakes. 17 Aug, Madison......0840 shuttle, Pinkham to Webster cliff.

CoachLou wrote:

Thanks for the link in the email about Black Flies. Usually never hike in long pants or shirt in the summer, but considering bringing. Definitely will have my DEET.
    • Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Thanks for the link in the email about Black Flies. Usually never hike in long pants or shirt in the summer, but considering bringing. Definitely will have my DEET.
      I always wear zip off leg pants....you can go either way.