Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2018

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I only need three effin days to finish the BMT but my work schedule is terrible. They gave me four consecutive days off over Memorial Day weekend then arbitrarily assigned call in the middle of it.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis

The post was edited 1 time, last by Bo Peep ().

• Kind of leading a group hike up Mt LeConte this week. Y’all know I’m not a planner and don’t assert myself in social situations (even when I know I’m right) so it’s interesting.

Edit...its a balancing act to offer suggestions so people are prepared without treating them like children.
      In life there are no limitations. Except stupidity. If you're stupid, you're screwed.

Stephan Pastis

The post was edited 2 times, last by Bo Peep ().

• Bo Peep wrote:

Kind of leading a group hike up Mt LeConte this week. Y’all know I’m not a planner and don’t assert myself in social situations (even when I know I’m right) so it’s interesting.

Edit...its a balancing act to offer suggestions so people are prepared without treating them like children.
      Sort of like being a college professor. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Oh dear. It never fails. As usual, i screwed up hiking plans to Mt LeConte. There were 10 of us. I startd us at the wrong parking lot and we had to hike an extra 2.5 mi... 9+ instead of 6.6. Several in the group really struggled and suffered.

But i saw a great sunset. And llamas. And nobody died.
      Images
      • 1189E8E6-7FA9-40F0-8199-8275F8BBD12B.jpeg

167.71 kB, 800×600, viewed 9 times
      • D7528D9C-83D0-440A-91EC-201FCC6A6A22.jpeg

103.9 kB, 450×600, viewed 14 times

Stephan Pastis
    • Are those llamas part of your group of 10 hiking buddies :D

Bo Peep wrote:

Oh dear. It never fails. As usual, i screwed up hiking plans to Mt LeConte. There were 10 of us. I startd us at the wrong parking lot and we had to hike an extra 2.5 mi... 9+ instead of 6.6. Several in the group really struggled and suffered.

But i saw a great sunset. And llamas. And nobody died.
    • One lady had a knee replacement last year and was in a lot of pain. She was a trooper but i felt terrible. Funny thing about hiking...most of the group wants to do it again in the fall. :)

Stephan Pastis
    • Bo Peep wrote:

One lady had a knee replacement last year and was in a lot of pain. She was a trooper but i felt terrible. Funny thing about hiking...most of the group wants to do it again in the fall. :)
      At least they have a few months to recover. Or perhaps even walk some on their own to get in better shape. :)
    • Drybones wrote:

What will the bug situation be like in ME and NH during June?
      I'm thinking that's black fly season. I got bit by some in Vermont in June. I got bit on my hand and it swelled up like I'd been stung by a yellow jacket- took some benedryl and it was gone in 4 or 5 hours. Also ran into other hikers that had the same reaction. I got some Sawyer Picaridin now to take with me.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I'll be starting at Katahdin 6/7/2018 so it sounds like I'd miss the bulk of the bugs, I'll take a head net and hopefully can donate it to a hiker box early on. Just ordered some Altra Olympus 2.5 shoes, never tried them on, never even seen a pair I know of, but I was looking for all the forefoot cushion I can find to aid the plantar faciatis...hope they work.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Seems I'm between sizes on everything, a 34" pant is too small and a 36" too big, and you just cant find 35s, shoe sizes stop 1/2 sizes at 12-1/2 and all info on the shoes I ordered say up a 1/2", they don't make 13-1/2 sizes...I ordered a 14...hurts me to think my feet are that big, I was a 12 not long ago, and, as a matter of fact, the shoes sizing gadgets in shoe stores still say I'm a 12 but they don't fit.
    • Drybones wrote:

I'll be starting at Katahdin 6/7/2018 so it sounds like I'd miss the bulk of the bugs, I'll take a head net and hopefully can donate it to a hiker box early on. Just ordered some Altra Olympus 2.5 shoes, never tried them on, never even seen a pair I know of, but I was looking for all the forefoot cushion I can find to aid the plantar faciatis...hope they work.
      Look forward to crossing paths with you. :)
    • Drybones wrote:

I'll be starting at Katahdin 6/7/2018 so it sounds like I'd miss the bulk of the bugs, I'll take a head net and hopefully can donate it to a hiker box early on. Just ordered some Altra Olympus 2.5 shoes, never tried them on, never even seen a pair I know of, but I was looking for all the forefoot cushion I can find to aid the plantar faciatis...hope they work.
      Drybones, I know that my local REI has Olympus in stock and other Altras too. It is worth finding one to try on all the different sizes and models. If there are no REI's near you, consider ordering online. When I have been unsure of size, I have ordered two sizes of the item at once and just shipped back the one that did not fit. REI seems pretty happy to do it that way.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

When/where are you starting and when/where do you expect to end...I'll be watching for you.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

When/where are you starting and when/where do you expect to end...I'll be watching for you.
      Starting at Glencliff, NH on 6/9 and plan to make it to Mt Katahdin before the end of July.
      Hard to believe in four weeks I will finally be in the Whites. :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Drybones, if you follow what you previously posted, and if I can follow my current plan, then we would both be at Full Goose Shelter (mile 1914) on June 25. Will be interesting to see how close reality is to the "plans".
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

it's too late for this year, but in the futue I am likely to be free for the month of May. Out of curiosity, if you had the month of May available for hiking, where would you go?
      Virginia
      I've done SNP north of Big Meadows and the 40 miles south from McAfee Knob. What next in VA?
      You could start just north of the Smokys at Standing Bear and go north.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

I may have finally found the right hiking shoe to help my plantar faciatis....Altra Olympus 2.5...lots of cushion front and back with plenty of toe room.
      I also have PF. Been wearing Altra Lone Peaks. The PF has been manageble for a while, but still there. I first got it in 1995. Back then I got some custom shoe inserts from a podiatrist.. I haven't used them in years. I found them in the bottom of a drawer today and am trying them again. With the inserts, my zero drop Altras aren't quite zero drop anymore.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• Purchased my airline ticket to Bangor and set up for a shuttle to Katahdin, fly out 6/6, now need to get the dehydrator out and get a mail drop ready for the 100-mile wilderness. Anyone have first hand experience as to the temperatures in the Whites during June, trying to decide what underquilt to take.
    • i'm not qualified to answer cuz i've only been there twice; but i think you would want to be prepared for a wide range of conditions -- on my thru it rained which turned into an unseasonal snow storm. although at mt.washington probably nothing is ever "unseasonal".

if i was headed there i'd browse the "view from the top" forum:

vftt.org/forums/

and i'm sure there are a bunch of websites with historical data -- here's one where you change the dates :

wunderground.com/history/airpo…=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

i actually drove to katahdin and then the whites from georgia. and as a history buff -- the freedom trail in boston. wouldn't wanna live there -- but boston is a neat city to visit.
      2,000 miler
    • New

I am now 77 miles from Campo on this year's PCT section hike. This is considered a late start for this section, water management and electrolytes are key. The desert has roasted my pale Irish skin. Got a room for the night in the tourist town of Julian, CA. I will see how I feel in the morning.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • New

IMScotty wrote:

I am now 77 miles from Campo on this year's PCT section hike. This is considered a late start for this section, water management and electrolytes are key. The desert has roasted my pale Irish skin. Got a room for the night in the tourist town of Julian, CA. I will see how I feel in the morning.
      rest rehydrate.... if you don’t you’ll never catch back up!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup: