Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2018

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

If my knees still feel ok after this LASH, I will be doing a Grand Canyon R2R in May. Fingers crossed.
      My daughter is planning to move to Las Vegas in a year or two. I'm thinking I can combine a visit into a GC hike. It's on my bucket list. May is a good time of the year for me. What are the chances of getting a permit in May?
      apply four months in advance. You probably won't get it. Do a walk up like me.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I just got the all clear from my orthopedic surgeon. Hike On!
      Bbbllllrrrrrrttt!!!!!!!
      Congrats, but take it easy at first.
      oh we are. First day is only like a 9 mile hike and we will only be carrying base weight plus breakfast, lunch, snacks, and umm whiskey and shine (can't trust the mailman with the good stuff lol) We will spend that night in the roach motel to where we have mailed drop boxes with four days of food. We're older, wiser, and maybe a little crazier. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I didn't post my tentative hiking plans this year because when I did last year, most were derailed.

So, I had 2+ weeks of vacation at the end of March. Intended to do 2 day hikes in the Smokies and near Franklin on the way down to Florida. That plan was derailed by a very bad cold. We left 4 days later than originally planned.

But being flexible and compromising on the back end plans, we started the drive back a day earlier and stayed in Franklin last Thursday. (Pro tip: do not arrive in Franklin after 9pm and expect that anyplace will be open for dinner; we went to Vito's Italian Restaurant and he was just leaving; he said the only place still open would be Huddle House.)

Hiked from Winding Stair Gap to Wayah Gap on Friday with my backpack about 1/3 full. I was definitely concerned particularly since many trail journals said that the climb out of Winding Stair Gap was pretty steep and as I was only able to do minimal training and the only walking I had done was flat land. Well, I'm here to say, don't believe everything that you read. The trail is graded very well with switchbacks and it wasn't too bad at all. Met a lot of great aspiring thruhikers: Goldilocks is a 35 yo pianist from NY who graciously pulled out his iphone to get some info for me, Just Paul is a 43 yo house contractor originally from VT but now in NC, Soup Spot-young gal, Mission-old guy hiking home to Maine, and Trout who did the PCT in 2016 and is hoping to do a triple crown.

Afterwards, went into Franklin directly to Outdoor 76. What a GREAT place! There's a bar in back with huge screen so my husband was occupied with some IPA's and watching the Tigers appear to win, then lose while I was fitted by the amazing Rob for some new trail shoes and everyday shoes. Then had a great dinner a few doors down from Outdoor 76. Drove to Knoxville for the night then back home last Saturday in time to arrive and watch the Final Four.

So, I have time off starting 4/13 through 4/21. Was hoping to hike somewhere in southern VA-central VA but right now the forecast is for rain. After hiking through MD last year and encountering rain 5 out of 6 days, I don't want to do that again. So, if anyone knows where on the trail, there won't be any rain or very low temps during that week, please let me know because it was such a darn good feeling to be walking on trail again, particularly as good as that NC trail was (MD was not fun with those rocks and boulders) and I would really like to have a good hike this year. :)
    • Hiked thru some snow flurries and then annoying misting rain today. The knee is not complaining so all is good. More reporting later.
      [attach=NaN][/attach]
      Images
      • IMG_20180409_100106006.jpg

290.78 kB, 800×600, viewed 374 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Hiked thru some snow flurries and then annoying misting rain today. The knee is not complaining so all is good. More reporting later.
      [attach=NaN][/attach]
      I really enjoyed it too. It was my next to last day of a 4 week LASH for me, and reunited one last time with several I had been hiking with over that time. :thumbup:

Did she cook supper for you?
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • jimmyjam wrote:

No. We went into town for Mexican.
      i cook and clean up after myself all week when hiking. when i'm in town i have zero interest in a communal meal where i have to help prepare and clean up afterwards. i'll take that ayce restaurant meal every time!

i'm steering clear of elmers sunnybank inn too!
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Just made Hut reservations for Franconia Ridge in August: Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

8th - Liberty Springs Campsite
      9th - Galehead Hut
      10th - Zealand Falls Hut

It will be nice to add 27.7 miles to this year's total.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Astro wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Day 7 and we're out of the rain at Woods Hole. Really cool place.

I didn't stay there but stopped by to do laundry, enjoyed my time talking with the lady of the house...very nice.
      If you had hung around, she probably would have had you helping cook supper. :D
      ida cooked for her
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Just made Hut reservations for Franconia Ridge in August: Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

9th - Galehead Hut
      10th - Zealand Falls Hut

Perhaps the toughest 27.7 miles you will have done to this point.
      I know I am expecting my mileage to really go down on this section.
    • Astro wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Just made Hut reservations for Franconia Ridge in August: Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

9th - Galehead Hut
      10th - Zealand Falls Hut

Perhaps the toughest 27.7 miles you will have done to this point.I know I am expecting my mileage to really go down on this section.
      My buddy Sox asked if I wanted to try to cover the miles in two days. I figured it would be more fun to do it in three. And then I figured out a way to do it in 4 days.

Tortoise:
      Drive halfway to NH on 8/7
      Arrive in Franconia Notch and hike 2.6 miles (2460' elevation gain) on the afternoon of 8/8
      Hike 10.4 miles to Galehead Hut on 8/9
      Hike 7.0 miles to Zealand Falls Hut on 8/10
      Hike 7.7 miles to Crawford Notch on 8/11
      Drive back to PA on 8/12

Sox & Son:
      Hike 10.3 miles to Garfield Ridge Campsite on 8/9
      Hike 9.7 miles to Zealand Falls Hut on 8/10

So Sox and I will meet up at the Galehead Hut on the morning of the 10th and finish the section together.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Astro wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

9th - Galehead Hut
      10th - Zealand Falls Hut

Perhaps the toughest 27.7 miles you will have done to this point.I know I am expecting my mileage to really go down on this section.
      My buddy Sox asked if I wanted to try to cover the miles in two days. I figured it would be more fun to do it in three. And then I figured out a way to do it in 4 days.
      Tortoise:
      Arrive in Franconia Notch and hike 2.6 miles (2460' elevation gain) on the afternoon of 8/8
      Drive back to PA on 8/12

Sox & Son:

So Sox and I will meet up at the Galehead Hut on the morning of the 10th and finish the section together.
      If you hike in opposite directions you could meet halfway and trade keys and save yourself waiting for the shuttle. Just a thought.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Astro wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

9th - Galehead Hut
      10th - Zealand Falls Hut

My buddy Sox asked if I wanted to try to cover the miles in two days. I figured it would be more fun to do it in three. And then I figured out a way to do it in 4 days.Tortoise:
      Drive back to PA on 8/12

Sox & Son:

If you hike in opposite directions you could meet halfway and trade keys and save yourself waiting for the shuttle. Just a thought.
      We're fortunate in this area of the AT - Sox's wife can run over from Belmont NH to pick us up in Crawford Notch and he also has a co-worker who has a place in Bretton Woods. Good to have options.

• Drybones wrote:

Seriously thinking about doing Katahdin to Hanover starting end of May...any recommendations for getting back to Birmingham from Hanover...best airport to use, place to stay and clean up before the flight, best way to get to the airport.
      Hope you do, we should cross paths some where in Southern Maine.
    • I'm planning a trek to the Solukhumbu and Khumbu (Everest) region of Nepal. Planning to trek in from Jiri via Piky Peak to Namche, then explore the valleys north and west of Thame, the glaciers east of Chukung, the Gokyo lakes, peaks such as Chukung Ri And Gokyo Ri, maybe one of the high passes such as Cho La, and finally up to Kala Patar for an up close look at Mt Everest before trekking back to Lukla for the flight back to Kathmandu. Of course I am not going to actually do this hike, but that doesn't stop me from planning it.
    • odd man out wrote:

I'm planning a trek to the Solukhumbu and Khumbu (Everest) region of Nepal. Planning to trek in from Jiri via Piky Peak to Namche, then explore the valleys north and west of Thame, the glaciers east of Chukung, the Gokyo lakes, peaks such as Chukung Ri And Gokyo Ri, maybe one of the high passes such as Cho La, and finally up to Kala Patar for an up close look at Mt Everest before trekking back to Lukla for the flight back to Kathmandu. Of course I am not going to actually do this hike, but that doesn't stop me from planning it.
      That's probably me with this AT hike I'm considering, but at least I can pronounce the locations...well...at least those south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • My plans are only good until I start, they never end up even close, if I make this hike in June I plan to take some days off, last 387 mile (22 days) trip I took one nero to recover from what I believe was food poisoning from a smoked sausage I'd been eating on too many days. Katahdin to Hanover...the "plan", the chances of me sitting still for 5 days is slim to none but I "planned" them...maybe there'll be some company worth hanging around for.

Flight$282

Buss fare$12

AT Lodge$70

DateDayMilePer Day

06/06/1812180.410.5

06/07/1822162.817.6

06/08/1832144.917.9White House Landing$35

06/09/184

06/10/1852128.916

06/11/1862112.316.6

06/12/1872095.516.8

06/13/1882076.419.1Monson ME 15$25

06/14/189

06/15/18102058.517.9Bald Mt Shelter

06/16/18112039.718.8US 201$30

06/17/1812

06/18/18132020.519.2

06/19/18142002.717.8ME 27$30

06/20/18151984.718

06/21/18161970.514.2ME 4$25

06/22/18171952.817.7

06/23/1818193418.8East B Hill Rd$30

06/24/1819

06/25/1820191420Full Goose Shelter

06/26/18211902.211.8

06/27/18221892.69.6US 2$35

06/28/18231878.114.5

06/29/18241859.818.3

06/30/18251840.619.2

07/01/18261817.822.8I93 / US3$70

07/02/1827

07/03/1828180017.8

07/04/18291780.519.5

07/05/18301759.720.8

07/06/18311748.211.5

07/07/18

$303

07/08/18Flight Home

442.7Total Miles

14.3Overall Avg/Day

17.0Walking Avg/Day$947Transportation & Lodging

$640Food

$140Booze

$780Total
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I'm planning a trek to the Solukhumbu and Khumbu (Everest) region of Nepal. Planning to trek in from Jiri via Piky Peak to Namche, then explore the valleys north and west of Thame, the glaciers east of Chukung, the Gokyo lakes, peaks such as Chukung Ri And Gokyo Ri, maybe one of the high passes such as Cho La, and finally up to Kala Patar for an up close look at Mt Everest before trekking back to Lukla for the flight back to Kathmandu. Of course I am not going to actually do this hike, but that doesn't stop me from planning it.
      That's probably me with this AT hike I'm considering, but at least I can pronounce the locations...well...at least those south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
      Yes, But you probably say APP-uh-LATCH-in.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• odd man out wrote:

Drybones wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Yes, But you probably say APP-uh-LATCH-in.
      You mean there's another way?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • BTW, I was also planning to add a jungle trek in Nepal to add on to my Mt Everest Trek (that I'm not taking this year - see above). Chitwan and Bardia National Parks in Nepal are the only places in the world where you can trek on foot to view wild tigers, crocodiles, elephants, bears, and rhinos. But in my planning I've run into some interesting information on the safety of this trek (or lack thereof). Web pages of guide services assure you it is safe by pointing out there are always two "armed" guides (armed with large sticks) and there are usually trees you can climb to escape. If you can't climb the tree, you can hide behind it. The junior guide will be in the rear because that's where the Tigers always attack from. On the dugout canoe safari you can avoid crocodiles by not tipping the boat. But it seems the tree climbing trick really does work. In 2016, a Dutch tourist escaped a Tiger attack in Bardia NP by climbing 20 feet into a tree. According to this news story, the guides ran away in order to "draw the attention of the Tiger" (um yeah right). The Tiger circled the treed Dutchman for two hours until the guide returned with reinforcements (more guides with sticks). It seems that from 1998-2006 there were only about seven people killed per year by Tigers in Chitwan National Park. The good news that Tiger fatalities were down to just two in 2016. The bad news is that seven were killed by rhinos and five were killed by elephants. According to this report, the national park "has appealed to the people to adopt precaution while visiting". Well that should take care of it. Anyone want to come with me?
    • odd man out wrote:

BTW, I was also planning to add a jungle trek in Nepal to add on to my Mt Everest Trek (that I'm not taking this year - see above). Chitwan and Bardia National Parks in Nepal are the only places in the world where you can trek on foot to view wild tigers, crocodiles, elephants, bears, and rhinos. But in my planning I've run into some interesting information on the safety of this trek (or lack thereof). Web pages of guide services assure you it is safe by pointing out there are always two "armed" guides (armed with large sticks) and there are usually trees you can climb to escape. If you can't climb the tree, you can hide behind it. The junior guide will be in the rear because that's where the Tigers always attack from. On the dugout canoe safari you can avoid crocodiles by not tipping the boat. But it seems the tree climbing trick really does work. In 2016, a Dutch tourist escaped a Tiger attack in Bardia NP by climbing 20 feet into a tree. According to this news story, the guides ran away in order to "draw the attention of the Tiger" (um yeah right). The Tiger circled the treed Dutchman for two hours until the guide returned with reinforcements (more guides with sticks). It seems that from 1998-2006 there were only about seven people killed per year by Tigers in Chitwan National Park. The good news that Tiger fatalities were down to just two in 2016. The bad news is that seven were killed by rhinos and five were killed by elephants. According to this report, the national park "has appealed to the people to adopt precaution while visiting". Well that should take care of it. Anyone want to come with me?
      OMO, to help me decide, first let me know, How quickly can you climb a tree???

I am thinking of a twist on that old bear joke...

Tiger charges OMO and IMScotty
      OMO says "Scotty, what are you doing? You cannot climb a tree faster than a Tiger!
      Scotty replies, "I don't have to OMO, I just have to climb faster than you :) "
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier