Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2018

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I will definitely have a head net. Been carrying one since at least VA (maybe NC). Just expect it to get a lot more use than the first 1800 miles. :)

Need to be back home before August 3. Big father-son campout event for Football Seniors.

Wanted to complete AT this summer. If I waited until July I would definitely have to come back another year.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Got my Hut reservations, 15 Aug, Mizpah. 16 Aug, Lakes. 17 Aug, Madison......0840 shuttle, Pinkham to Webster cliff.

Try to catch up with Astro in Maine!

:thumbsup:
      Got my Hut reservations, 15 Aug, Mizpah. 16 Aug, Lakes. 17 Aug, Madison......0840 shuttle, Pinkham to Webster cliff.

CoachLou wrote:

Try to catch up with Astro in Maine!

:thumbsup:
      Thanks for the link in the email about Black Flies. Usually never hike in long pants or shirt in the summer, but considering bringing. Definitely will have my DEET.
      You might want to bump your shuttle up a bit. Kathy and I started at Webster cliff about 11:30, in the pouring rain, and made it to the camp ground at Mizpah hut in the middle of the afternoon. At least, that's how I remember it.
    • Next week's Max Patch weather forecast from Mountain-Forecast.com

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-33/i-JXL256N/0/9fb36865/L/Max_Patch_Weather-L.jpg]

I am not digging the thought of tenting on Sunday night somewhere in the vicinity of Bluff Mountain. Might have to think of a way to do day hikes so we can get indoors from Sunday night through Tuesday morning. Those wind chills forecast for Monday are enough to keep me off the mountain tops and ridges. :cursing:
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Next week's Max Patch weather forecast from Mountain-Forecast.com

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Hiking/AT-Section-Hike-33/i-JXL256N/0/9fb36865/L/Max_Patch_Weather-L.jpg]

I am not digging the thought of tenting on Sunday night somewhere in the vicinity of Bluff Mountain. Might have to think of a way to do day hikes so we can get indoors from Sunday night through Tuesday morning. Those wind chills forecast for Monday are enough to keep me off the mountain tops and ridges. :cursing:
      I wish you well with it, and wise to plan ahead.

There are good reasons I ever get to do a thru-hike of the AT that I would prefer to wait for a April/May start. :)
    • I have tented in 20-degree weather and survived. Having a high of 20 degrees for the whole day minus the wind chills? No thank you. Granted, it would get warmer as we approached Hot Springs, but Sunday night looks like it would be downright miserable. And I'm too old for downright miserable.

I'm voting for a 3-day Asheville pub crawl followed by a 3-day hike from Hot Springs to Sams Gap.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

I have tented in 20-degree weather and survived. Having a high of 20 degrees for the whole day minus the wind chills? No thank you. Granted, it would get warmer as we approached Hot Springs, but Sunday night looks like it would be downright miserable. And I'm too old for downright miserable.

I'm voting for a 3-day Asheville pub crawl followed by a 3-day hike from Hot Springs to Sams Gap.
      Smart man!
      At this year's MLK hike in NY the actual temp on Sunday night was 6 degrees with not much wind.
      That was OK as I have a winter sleeping bag rated at -25, but getting out in the morning was brrrrrrrr....
    • LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

I have tented in 20-degree weather and survived. Having a high of 20 degrees for the whole day minus the wind chills? No thank you. Granted, it would get warmer as we approached Hot Springs, but Sunday night looks like it would be downright miserable. And I'm too old for downright miserable.

Smart man!At this year's MLK hike in NY the actual temp on Sunday night was 6 degrees with not much wind.
      That was OK as I have a winter sleeping bag rated at -25, but getting out in the morning was brrrrrrrr....
      The boys in the shelter were pretty shocked in the morning when I had mine 'over me' and I wasn't actually in it!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Smart man!At this year's MLK hike in NY the actual temp on Sunday night was 6 degrees with not much wind.That was OK as I have a winter sleeping bag rated at -25, but getting out in the morning was brrrrrrrr....
      The boys in the shelter were pretty shocked in the morning when I had mine 'over me' and I wasn't actually in it!
      I wish I had a little Italian blood.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Smart man!At this year's MLK hike in NY the actual temp on Sunday night was 6 degrees with not much wind.That was OK as I have a winter sleeping bag rated at -25, but getting out in the morning was brrrrrrrr....
      Have you tried the DNA testing? I did it and I'm a real mutt.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Bo Peep wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

The best part would be if it was from your mother's side. We never minded inviting my brother-in-laws mom to our family reunions. :)
    • Bo Peep wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

drink more EVOO :D
    • Bo Peep wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

You don't need Italian blood.
      But you could use 2 sleeping bags, one inside another, to sleep warm, that's what I used to do.
      And of course warm clothes for during the day.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Nah. It sounds kind of fun.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Nah. It sounds kind of fun.
      I'm 76% European West(Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein) , 13% Great Britain, 7% Ireland/Scotland/Wales, 2% Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, Denmark), 1% Iberian Peninsula(Spain, Portugal), and 1% Europe South (Italy, Greece).

I was surprised I wasn't more Great Britain and that I was so much western European. Not sure whats up with the font.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Bo Peep wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

I wish my wife had Italian blood.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

I bet any one of your drinking buddies could have told you that for the price of a beer.
      You hiking NOBO out of HS? That's a....nice little climb....for two days....
      What's in you is more important than what's ahead of you, the 20 miles out of HS was a very pleasant walk for me after a western omlet and pot of coffee, don't recall what section it was, but what should have been an easy hike felt like it was going to kill me when the body was feeding on itself.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Made it back alive with no frostbite. Some of the young kids didn't fare as well coming through the Smokies.

Trip Report is forthcoming. We tried for a post-hike soak but they don't have showers at the spa. The thought of three of us making a vat of hiker funk soup didn't seem too appealing.

• Kathy told me the other day that she doesn't want to hike the next section in Maine if I can't get time off this summer.
      She didn't want to get our hiking on the AT out of sync with each other. That makes a certain sense I guess.
      I guess we'll plan a short section in case I can get a little time off from this new job. Otherwise we'll do a number of weekend trips locally.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy told me the other day that she doesn't want to hike the next section in Maine if I can't get time off this summer.
      She didn't want to get our hiking on the AT out of sync with each other. That makes a certain sense I guess.
      I guess we'll plan a short section in case I can get a little time off from this new job. Otherwise we'll do a number of weekend trips locally.
      That's the deal I have with my 'Trail Husband': Our sections only count if we hike them at the same time. Not necessarily together, but on the same days.

That deal killed me when I was unemployed for a summer and he had a bad back.

LIhikers wrote:

Kathy told me the other day that she doesn't want to hike the next section in Maine if I can't get time off this summer.
      That's the deal I have with my 'Trail Husband': Our sections only count if we hike them at the same time. Not necessarily together, but on the same days.
      I had a similar arrangement with a hiking partner as she is blind. However she is now married and expecting. She let me out of the agreement.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC

LIhikers wrote:

I am not a fan of divorce, but in that situation you may have deserved one. :)
    • Drybones wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

I wish my wife had Italian blood.
      # Me too- she's Austrian.... oh and can she cook!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: