Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2018

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

We don't have an exact date yet, but we've got our shuttled lined up- my best buddy in Daleville- and we are thinking Nobo with a couple of days of food and a little good bourbon and a couple a cigars. Yep, planning done :D
      I see only one flaw in this plan...."little".
      We've learned how to use dropboxes for "refueling". :)
      Not only is drinking and driving dangerous, so is drinking and cigar smoking...tried to clip the end off the wrong thing.
      Images
      • 20180126_165139_resized.jpg

67.69 kB, 800×450, viewed 354 times
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

All my plans are up in the air as my employment status is uncertain. My unit is being closed and the nurses may or may not be offered jobs at another facility. Although, if they go by seniority and experience, I won’t have an issue but you never know. Sadly, some of my friends and coworkers are SOL.

I had vacation approved for March to finish the BMT but that may not be honored.

It’s been a stressful week but things happen for a reason. If I’m laid off, I might thru hike the BMT. :)
      If I were in your shoes, this is the way I would go....

nurse.org/articles/why-travel-nursing/

Good luck!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

We don't have an exact date yet, but we've got our shuttled lined up- my best buddy in Daleville- and we are thinking Nobo with a couple of days of food and a little good bourbon and a couple a cigars. Yep, planning done :D
      I see only one flaw in this plan...."little".
      We've learned how to use dropboxes for "refueling". :)
      Not only is drinking and driving dangerous, so is drinking and cigar smoking...tried to clip the end off the wrong thing.
      Yikes!!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • IMScotty wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

All my plans are up in the air as my employment status is uncertain. My unit is being closed and the nurses may or may not be offered jobs at another facility. Although, if they go by seniority and experience, I won’t have an issue but you never know. Sadly, some of my friends and coworkers are SOL.

I had vacation approved for March to finish the BMT but that may not be honored.

It’s been a stressful week but things happen for a reason. If I’m laid off, I might thru hike the BMT. :)
      If I were in your shoes, this is the way I would go....
      nurse.org/articles/why-travel-nursing/

Good luck!
      Thanks!
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I know it's really attractive to just go hiking when faced with layoff, but in my experience it was a better plan to improve my work skills, training and such. most always it helped me advance in my career which allowed me more free time for fun things. sometimes you really do get back what you put in.

really though, I hope you avoid a layoff. it's no fun.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

It’s been a stressful week but things happen for a reason. If I’m laid off, I might thru hike the BMT
      Sorry to hear that, but I'm sure things will work out good for you. You're smart and have it together. Look at it as not a door closing but one opening. I see lots of nurse openings here with big sign on bonuses.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I don't have any plans just wishes and hopes. 2017 was a year of drastic change for my household. We said goodbye to the Army and moved half way across the continent for my husband to attend school and now we're navigating life as broke college kids again. I thought I left that life behind 15 some-odd years ago but it's worth the sacrifice for my husband to get the education he desires and deserves. It just means that funds are somewhat limited, so adventures are as well.

My wish would be to finally make it to Yellowstone. It's only a couple of hours from here and life just hasn't allowed for a visit yet. If I can get some back country or at least less tourist heavy area time in while there, that would be fantastic but really I will settle for just checking it off my list of places to visit.

I hope to make a ridge run (without actually running) of the peak to peak trails that encompass the front rage around my city. I haven't even made it to the top of one of the peaks yet, so that might be a bit ambitious but we'll see.

Mainly I will just be living vicariously through all of you, so take lots of pictures!
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Oh crap. Sorry.

I have a feeling that you will wind up in a better situation as a result. Silver lining and all!
    • Bo Peep wrote:

I'll spare the details, but getting laid off turned out to be a positive life-changing event for me. Even though I was eventually re-hired into a different division, I came to the realization that starting over was not gonna kill me. My new co-workers were as miserable as I used to be, working every day under the black cloud of possible layoffs. When a new opportunity dropped at my feet, I was mentally ready to leave all the perks and benefits of 28 years of service and set off on a new path. 19 months in, I'm still smiling.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and keep an open mind.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Thank y’all for the kind thoughts. I will be fine no matter what happens. I’m just sad about my work family being broken up and having to leave the hospital that I love.
      If you are thinking of relocating....St. Louis has huge medical complexes that need RN's, particularly specialty RN's(labor/delivery, cardiac, etc..) and the bonuses, salaries and benefits are top notch. Two children's hospitals, one with a Level I trauma center...
    • You will not have trouble finding a job if you need to, your profession is in demand. I ran across a Japanese lady I used to hike and paddle with the other day and asked where the Japanese friend my wife had when she worked at a hospital was, said she was now a traveling tech (radiology) since her son was off to college, has to spend a lot of time in Hawaii, I would research opportunities to travel with your job, forgive me guys, but "hands up" St. Louis is not the place I'd want to be.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • East St. Louis, IL and St. Louis, MO are two totally different entities.

While I may not choose to LIVE in the city of STL, I sure as hell do WORK there.

Almost 100 percent of the homicides are African-American on African-American and occur in some bad neighborhoods. Outside of those hoods, which have no hospitals within 5 miles, there is very little violent crime and almost no murders. The suburbs to the west are particularly safe, but a bit spendy. The Illinois suburbs on the north side are quite nice and quite affordable. Only a 30 minute drive to work, almost never bumper-to-bumper...

Plenty to do here, but be prepared to drive to do it....
    • max.patch wrote:

lol, the chairman of the illinois lottery board resigned this morning under pressure for calling east st. louis "the shithole of the universe" a couple weeks ago.
      When I was in college at ISU in the 80's, Steve Martin called Terre Haute, IN the "armpit of America"...he was right!!!

ESL isn't the shitehole of the universe. But it IS the shitehole of the midwest. Hands down...
    • ScareBear wrote:

max.patch wrote:

lol, the chairman of the illinois lottery board resigned this morning under pressure for calling east st. louis "the shithole of the universe" a couple weeks ago.
      When I was in college at ISU in the 80's, Steve Martin called Terre Haute, IN the "armpit of America"...he was right!!!
      ESL isn't the shitehole of the universe. But it IS the shitehole of the midwest. Hands down...
      ISU? Which dorm did you live in?

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

max.patch wrote:

When I was in college at ISU in the 80's, Steve Martin called Terre Haute, IN the "armpit of America"...he was right!!!ESL isn't the shitehole of the universe. But it IS the shitehole of the midwest. Hands down...
      ISU? Which dorm did you live in?
      I lived in Rhodes Hall for my Freshman year...
    • Yep to Larry Bird...also Olympic gold medal wrestler Bruce Baumgartner and Olympian gold medal gymnast Kurt Thomas. For some reason, ISU was LOADED with world class athletes in that era...

Rhoads Hall is one of the four quad towers currently being renovated, reopening in the fall...
    • ScareBear wrote:

Yep to Larry Bird...also Olympic gold medal wrestler Bruce Baumgartner and Olympian gold medal gymnast Kurt Thomas. For some reason, ISU was LOADED with world class athletes in that era...

Rhoads Hall is one of the four quad towers currently being renovated, reopening in the fall...
      ah yes, thee ole “Thomas flare” crushed the competition, and Buamgartner was a beast on the mats!
    • We've been doing more scheming. Going to leave Marion with just a lunch and snacks and then resupply in Atkins. So the first day will be basically a slack pack ending at a hotel with dinner at a restaurant followed by beer. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Bo Peep wrote:

Started planning a 90 mile hike. Eek!

Questioning everything... clothing, food, gear.
      I always have a hard time with clothes. I change my mind about a hundred times. Right now I'm packing silk long johns top and bottom, LS polyester hiking shirt, nylon shorts and SS polyester shirt for sleeping and wearing over long johns for town clothes, one pair exofficio boxer briefs, thick sleep socks, two pair hiking socks, smartwool liner gloves, MLD overmittens, light buff and fleece buff, wind shirt, frogtog pants, parcho poncho, and myog synthetic coat.

Wearing exofficio, hiking socks, kuhl zipoff pants, SS Icebreaker merino shirt, ball cap, sun/safety glasses. Shoes to be determined.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

I always have a hard time with clothes. I change my mind about a hundred times. Right now I'm packing silk long johns top and bottom, LS polyester hiking shirt, nylon shorts and SS polyester shirt for sleeping and wearing over long johns for town clothes, one pair exofficio boxer briefs, thick sleep socks, two pair hiking socks, smartwool liner gloves, MLD overmittens, light buff and fleece buff, wind shirt, frogtog pants, parcho poncho, and myog synthetic coat.
      Wearing exofficio, hiking socks, kuhl zipoff pants, SS Icebreaker merino shirt, ball cap, sun/safety glasses. Shoes to be determined.
      My current list: (doesn’t include what I’m wearing)

2 pair socks
      2 pair ex officio undies
      Cycling pants (fleece lined and wind resistant)
      Patagonia capilene base-layer pants
      260 weight Smart Wool shirt
      Patagonia Down jacket
      Marmot precip rain jacket
      Marmot precip rain pants
      Lightweight running gloves
      Mittens
      Wool hat
      Buff

Thinking about a fleece.

It sounds like a lot of stuff. :(

I’ll be hiking in March. It could be 70* or it could be a blizzard.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bo Peep wrote:

I always have a hard time with clothes. I change my mind about a hundred times. Right now I'm packing silk long johns top and bottom, LS polyester hiking shirt, nylon shorts and SS polyester shirt for sleeping and wearing over long johns for town clothes, one pair exofficio boxer briefs, thick sleep socks, two pair hiking socks, smartwool liner gloves, MLD overmittens, light buff and fleece buff, wind shirt, frogtog pants, parcho poncho, and myog synthetic coat.Wearing exofficio, hiking socks, kuhl zipoff pants, SS Icebreaker merino shirt, ball cap, sun/safety glasses. Shoes to be determined.
      My current list: (doesn’t include what I’m wearing)
      2 pair socks
      2 pair ex officio undies
      Cycling pants (fleece lined and wind resistant)
      Patagonia capilene base-layer pants
      260 weight Smart Wool shirt
      Patagonia Down jacket
      Marmot precip rain jacket
      Marmot precip rain pants
      Lightweight running gloves
      Mittens
      Wool hat
      Buff

Thinking about a fleece.

It sounds like a lot of stuff. :(

I’ll be hiking in March. It could be 70* or it could be a blizzard.
      if I was hiking at high elevation, like the Smokys, in March- I would take a fleece shirt/pull over.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Forgot to add my down skirt, definitely taking that.

Not sure if I need two pair of pants. The capilene baselayer pants fit nicely under my rain pants. The cycling pants are warm for camp but if I have the capilene pants and my skirt...might not be needed.

JJ, I used your white, Tyvek (?) over-mittens the other day while hiking a local trail in the rain. :)
    • BP, I think in March it's not a bad idea to have a long bottom base layer to hike in and a different one to sleep in. You get one of those cold rainy or snow mix days. Then again if you're hiking in long pants with rain pants over them, that's probably plenty and use the capilene ones to sleep in.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference