Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Winter Beanie gloves and scarf

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Winter Beanie gloves and scarf

amazon.com/Simplicity-Women-Wi…anie-Gloves/dp/B00AKQC8CW

Here is what most people forget - 300 weight fleece and acrylic traps more heat in the woods than you can imagine. The fibers are smaller than human hair and are by design keeps you warmer and are cheap lightweight knockoffs that work....

Feel free to add this to your winter pack.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • On the extreme other end I’ve look for a micro fleece to supplement this and that. But my 300 weight fleece gets worn a lot. EMS brand is pretty much all I wear, as it’s me longest living local outfitter. Got some campmor items, but that’s my old gear bin.
    • I've never understand what 100 200 and 300 weights mean. And "base layers"- we just called them long johns here. Light, medium and heavy. I do have an REI half zip fleece pull over that I like. It's 8 ozs so is that 100 200 300?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I've never understand what 100 200 and 300 weights mean. And "base layers"- we just called them long johns here. Light, medium and heavy. I do have an REI half zip fleece pull over that I like. It's 8 ozs so is that 100 200 300?
      I’m with you, unless it’s marked when I purchase as such, everything is light medium or heavy. In the case of the micro I’m after, that’s something lighter (thinner) than my lightest piece. But what they all weigh I haven’t a clue.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I've never understand what 100 200 and 300 weights mean. And "base layers"- we just called them long johns here. Light, medium and heavy. I do have an REI half zip fleece pull over that I like. It's 8 ozs so is that 100 200 300?
      I think you have answered your own question.... light (thin) 300 heavy is really thick.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I think you have answered your own question.... light (thin) 300 heavy is really thick.
      You mean it could actually be straight forward and make sense. I wish we had more of that. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

You mean it could actually be straight forward and make sense. I wish we had more of that. :rolleyes:
      There is also wind blocker fleece which makes the best hats and mitts. It comes in different thickness but I used the thinnest one, 100.
    • Okay I copied this off this web TRESPASS and HERE the link to the web

Weight

Fleece is categorised according to what we call its ‘weight’. The first ever manufacturer of fleece products split fleece garments into groups defined by how many grams of fleece constituted a square metre. This measurement system is still in use today, and you’ll find fleece described in the unit gsm, or grams per square metre.
      Have a look at the table below for a breakdown of the categories:
      Fleece WeightDescriptionTypical Use
      >100gsmUltralightSummer walking in cool weather
      100 – 200gsmLightweightGeneral wear, walking in temperate weather
      200 – 300gsmMid-weightOuter layer in everyday wear or mid-layer in layering system
      >300gsmHeavyweightOutdoor activities in Arctic conditions

Types of Fleece
      There are many different types of fleece nowadays, with new variations being introduced onto the market each year. Here we take a look at the three major kinds so you can better match your next fleece garment purchase to your needs.
      Microfleece
      [IMG:https://www.trespass.com/advice/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/microfleece-300x300.jpg]
      Kaity Womens Half Zip Microfleece Hoodie >>
      Microfleece is the thinnest and most lightweight type of fleece. These are the original mid-layers that are worn over base layers and under a waterproof shell. Microfleece provides the lowest level of insulation yet the highest breathability, so they’re ideal for active pursuits in weather that isn’t too cold.
      Microfleece also allows for the greatest flexibility when doing physical exercise, as the build isn’t too thick to restrict movement. The very light weight is the highlight feature of this type of fleece, and it’s also frequently chosen as an outer layer when outdoor conditions are mild.
      Additional features such as multiple pockets and a large hood are unlikely to be found on microfleece as the scope is to keep it simple and very lightweight. Generally, any fleece up to the 200gsm mark is considered a microfleece.
      Mid-weight Fleece
      Mid-weight fleece covers the middle ground of the spectrum. This fleece can easily be worn as an outer layer on hikes and treks when the weather is chilly. Mid-weight fleece is much warmer than lightweight fleece and has higher insulating properties, as well as being more comfortable and breathable.
      This type of fleece will offer less flexibility than microfleece but is thick enough to be a good everyday outer layer in cool conditions and a mid-layer when the temperature dips and you have to pair it with a base layer and waterproof jacket, as long as you’re not pursuing high-energy activities.
      Any fleece between 200gsm and 300gsm is considered to be a mid-weight fleece.
      Heavyweight Fleece
      [IMG:https://www.trespass.com/advice/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/heavy-fleece-300x300.jpg]
      Mathis Mens DLX Full Zip Fleece Hoodie >>
      Heavyweight fleece is at the top of the range of fleece weights, coming in at 300gsm or more. This type of fleece is best suited for very cold conditions where physical activity is limited.
      Heavyweight fleece is the least flexible of fleeces, but also the warmest and most insulating. This can be stifling if worn when exercising or exerting yourself physically, as you’re bound to overheat quickly. The only exception is when you’re outdoors in very harsh climates close to polar or Arctic conditions, where you’ll be needing as much insulation as you can get.
      Heavyweight fleece makes for a great outer layer in cold weather too, and can be staggeringly warm. Our Mathis Mens DLX Full Zip Fleece Hoodie has a weight of 460gsm, making it a real titan of cold defence.
      Textured Fleece
      [IMG:https://www.trespass.com/advice/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/textured-fleece-300x300.jpg]
      Lux Womens Full Zip Fleece Hoodie >>
      Textured fleece tends to share the same weight range as heavyweight fleece, yet boasts a patterned outer. This is mostly for decorative purposes, although textured fleece tends to be even
      softer to the touch and comfier than regular fleece.
      Often luxurious-looking and velvety, textured fleeces are the dressiest of the lot and are ideal for putting on as an outer layer when out roaming in the cold, or even as a mid-layer when the chill increases.
      Features
      Fleece clothing normally has multiple features which add to its versatility and comfort. Here are some common features you’ll find:
      Anti-Pill
      Anti-pill fleece is fleece that has been treated to prevent bobbling, or little balls – or pills – of thread from forming on the surface of the fabric. This is an especially valuable feature as it keeps the garment looking brand new and bobble-free for very long, which adds to its longevity.
      Pilling is the result of abrasion when washing and drying, as well as excessive rubbing against other surfaces. Avoid causing too much friction on fleece as this will contribute to the wear and tear of the garment.
      Full or Half Zip
      Fleece jumpers and jackets commonly have either a full zip running from the neck to the hips, or a half zip that starts from the neck and stops somewhere on the chest. This helps you take off the fleece easily if you’re feeling too warm, or even let in a bout of fresh air to ventilate your body.
      Chin Guard
      Chin guards are also a very common feature on fleece jumpers and jackets. This raised collar provides additional protection against wind and cold, giving fleece its traditional look.
      When hiking, it also helps prevent debris from entering through the gap between the collar of your jacket and your neck.
      Adjustable Hem
      Fleeces sometimes have adjustable hems in order to fasten properly. An adjustable hem means you can restrict the passage of air into the garment and seal it in a more windproof and airtight structure.
      AirTrap®
      Our AirTrap® technology is specially engineered to enable total freedom of exertion. Its unique structure made specifically for fleece creates countless airspaces that trap and hold your body heat to keep you 100% protected against inclement weather. AirTrap® clothing is soft, breathable and anti-pill all the way.
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • montana mac wrote:

Okay I copied this off this web TRESPASS and HERE the link to the web

Weight

Fleece is categorised according to what we call its ‘weight’. The first ever manufacturer of fleece products split fleece garments into groups defined by how many grams of fleece constituted a square metre. This measurement system is still in use today, and you’ll find fleece described in the unit gsm, or grams per square metre.
      Have a look at the table below for a breakdown of the categories:
      Fleece WeightDescriptionTypical Use
      >100gsmUltralightSummer walking in cool weather
      100 – 200gsmLightweightGeneral wear, walking in temperate weather
      200 – 300gsmMid-weightOuter layer in everyday wear or mid-layer in layering system
      >300gsmHeavyweightOutdoor activities in Arctic conditions

Types of Fleece
      There are many different types of fleece nowadays, with new variations being introduced onto the market each year. Here we take a look at the three major kinds so you can better match your next fleece garment purchase to your needs.
      Microfleece
      [IMG:https://www.trespass.com/advice/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/microfleece-300x300.jpg]
      Kaity Womens Half Zip Microfleece Hoodie >>
      Microfleece is the thinnest and most lightweight type of fleece. These are the original mid-layers that are worn over base layers and under a waterproof shell. Microfleece provides the lowest level of insulation yet the highest breathability, so they’re ideal for active pursuits in weather that isn’t too cold.
      Microfleece also allows for the greatest flexibility when doing physical exercise, as the build isn’t too thick to restrict movement. The very light weight is the highlight feature of this type of fleece, and it’s also frequently chosen as an outer layer when outdoor conditions are mild.
      Additional features such as multiple pockets and a large hood are unlikely to be found on microfleece as the scope is to keep it simple and very lightweight. Generally, any fleece up to the 200gsm mark is considered a microfleece.
      Mid-weight Fleece
      Mid-weight fleece covers the middle ground of the spectrum. This fleece can easily be worn as an outer layer on hikes and treks when the weather is chilly. Mid-weight fleece is much warmer than lightweight fleece and has higher insulating properties, as well as being more comfortable and breathable.
      This type of fleece will offer less flexibility than microfleece but is thick enough to be a good everyday outer layer in cool conditions and a mid-layer when the temperature dips and you have to pair it with a base layer and waterproof jacket, as long as you’re not pursuing high-energy activities.
      Any fleece between 200gsm and 300gsm is considered to be a mid-weight fleece.
      Heavyweight Fleece
      [IMG:https://www.trespass.com/advice/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/heavy-fleece-300x300.jpg]
      Mathis Mens DLX Full Zip Fleece Hoodie >>
      Heavyweight fleece is at the top of the range of fleece weights, coming in at 300gsm or more. This type of fleece is best suited for very cold conditions where physical activity is limited.
      Heavyweight fleece is the least flexible of fleeces, but also the warmest and most insulating. This can be stifling if worn when exercising or exerting yourself physically, as you’re bound to overheat quickly. The only exception is when you’re outdoors in very harsh climates close to polar or Arctic conditions, where you’ll be needing as much insulation as you can get.
      Heavyweight fleece makes for a great outer layer in cold weather too, and can be staggeringly warm. Our Mathis Mens DLX Full Zip Fleece Hoodie has a weight of 460gsm, making it a real titan of cold defence.
      Textured Fleece
      [IMG:https://www.trespass.com/advice/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/textured-fleece-300x300.jpg]
      Lux Womens Full Zip Fleece Hoodie >>
      Textured fleece tends to share the same weight range as heavyweight fleece, yet boasts a patterned outer. This is mostly for decorative purposes, although textured fleece tends to be even
      softer to the touch and comfier than regular fleece.
      Often luxurious-looking and velvety, textured fleeces are the dressiest of the lot and are ideal for putting on as an outer layer when out roaming in the cold, or even as a mid-layer when the chill increases.
      Features
      Fleece clothing normally has multiple features which add to its versatility and comfort. Here are some common features you’ll find:
      Anti-Pill
      Anti-pill fleece is fleece that has been treated to prevent bobbling, or little balls – or pills – of thread from forming on the surface of the fabric. This is an especially valuable feature as it keeps the garment looking brand new and bobble-free for very long, which adds to its longevity.
      Pilling is the result of abrasion when washing and drying, as well as excessive rubbing against other surfaces. Avoid causing too much friction on fleece as this will contribute to the wear and tear of the garment.
      Full or Half Zip
      Fleece jumpers and jackets commonly have either a full zip running from the neck to the hips, or a half zip that starts from the neck and stops somewhere on the chest. This helps you take off the fleece easily if you’re feeling too warm, or even let in a bout of fresh air to ventilate your body.
      Chin Guard
      Chin guards are also a very common feature on fleece jumpers and jackets. This raised collar provides additional protection against wind and cold, giving fleece its traditional look.
      When hiking, it also helps prevent debris from entering through the gap between the collar of your jacket and your neck.
      Adjustable Hem
      Fleeces sometimes have adjustable hems in order to fasten properly. An adjustable hem means you can restrict the passage of air into the garment and seal it in a more windproof and airtight structure.
      AirTrap®
      Our AirTrap® technology is specially engineered to enable total freedom of exertion. Its unique structure made specifically for fleece creates countless airspaces that trap and hold your body heat to keep you 100% protected against inclement weather. AirTrap® clothing is soft, breathable and anti-pill all the way.

Figures it's metric. So now I gotta convert grams per square meter to ounces per square yard to understand.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Stones per acre is an intuitive measure. Then you can compare fleece to equally important items like hops and corn.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard