Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Photobucket is no longer free

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Photobucket is no longer free

Sad but true any image uploaded prior to a few months ago is grandfathered - new images are not. they force you to subscribe for third party hosting as I have don that for years, as many of you have done also.

For those that read this and do not understand 3rd party hosting of images , read on. You upload an image to a website in one sport and share those images across to several different blogs thus saving headaches of "where did I post that pic?".... By deleting a picture at the Photobucket - you effectively remove the image from all blogs, regardless of where it's posted, or multiple posts.Here is an example of forcing you to upgrade...

[IMG:<a href=][IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/20160720_202015_zpst7hxduj3.jpg]">

So I am all ears as to where to move all these pic files to another website that's free.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • not talking about photobucket -- but isn't it funny how we expect everything on the internet to be free? gonna be the death of the newspapers -- washington post couldn't afford to have woodward and bernstein on staff today -- tricky dick woulda got off scott free if watergate happened today!
      2,000 miler
    • I've been paying for my smugmug account for the past 12 years because:

Free stuff on the internet comes with strings attached
      I didn't want to wake up one day to find all my pictures gone or locked up for ransom
      I didn't want to find out that all my motorcycle maintenance pictures and hiking trip report pictures were missing from their respective forum posts.

You gets what you pays for.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

I've been paying for my smugmug account for the past 12 years because:

Free stuff on the internet comes with strings attached
      I didn't want to wake up one day to find all my pictures gone or locked up for ransom
      I didn't want to find out that all my motorcycle maintenance pictures and hiking trip report pictures were missing from their respective forum posts.

You gets what you pay for.
      wingfoot -- a looong time ago -- used to have a section on his site for people to post their trail journals. one day he decided he didn't want to do this anymore so he deleted the section. (i don't have an online journal so this is all second hand info to me.) lotta complaints from hikers who claimed there was no notice -- their journals just disappeared -- and what was online was their only copy.

say what ya want about wingfoot -- but who in their right mind is gonna type up their journal and not keep a copy of it somewhere? that's just not thinkin.
      2,000 miler
    • Well that's all interesting - but not what I was discussing - I have all the images in folders on my computer, I can attach the photos as small images to the website. Or I can post to a website and connect the images to a blog - I turn off the computer and the images are still there on line, for you to see. My issue is Photo bucket is not a value to me and I will be deleting my account. I don't have a lot of images there, but I wasn't going to fill up the web host here at ATC that we would all have to pay for... does this make more sense?

A thumbdrive won't suffice.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Yes, but I think it’s still a “you get what you will one day pay for” as it catches on...gas, grass or greenbacks nobody rides get free type thing. You may have to keep em in several places as many marketeers offer free storage to an extent.
    • Unfortunately, as stated prior, it is getting so that nothing on the net is free anymore - which kinda makes sense. Somebody is paying charges to keep the sites up and running. Some providers depend on advertisement revenue - some on donations and some just outright charge.

Whitepages (telephone lookup/directory) use to be free - no longer. Trailplace died due to a combination of lack of owner involvement and the fees it was costing him. It comes down to how important the service is to you - is it worth the money they're asking ?

The pictures I u/l are on my kept hard drive. I don't back it up as often as I should so someday I know I will be kicking my self in the a$$.
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.