Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Log Cabin for sale - inside the gate at Pine Grove on the AT.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Log Cabin for sale - inside the gate at Pine Grove on the AT.

CLICK Well ya never know what you may find and this is really interesting - wooded lot to the right of the parking lot. Big deck and enclosed porch. May have a stove, you can see the chimney in another pic.. one of the towns nearby is Shippensburg.
      119k+
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • My modest 1980 sq ft, 3 Bedroom one bath home with adjacent land (2.3 acres total) costs me over $9,800 year in property taxes in North Reading, Massachusetts.

It could be worse, I could be paying taxes on Long Island :S
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I wish the ad had shown what the property taxes are
      i sometimes participate on a financial forum and i am totally shocked at what some of you in the northeast pay for property taxes on your residence.
      its all relative, many of my clients locally pay 9k to 15k in school tax. I am in a area where my neighbors pay the burden as my place is so old and grandfathered I have about $600 in Property Tax and $3500 in School. Another words its all about location. (I am on the wrong side of the highway)... If you purchase a 5000 square foot home in an affluent neighborhood vs a 2000 Square foot home on a mountain trail made in the 1930's there is going to be an interesting difference. I was being picky and looking for wood stoves, Chimneys, 2 bedrooms, avoiding tax burdened NY and NJ. You don't need A/C on a wooded lot - there isn't any grass to cut. Flush toilets, shower and only one floor. 2nd floor was a pass, when browsing I turned off lots for sale and pre-forclosure. Then select 50-100k And compare the towns to the Google Earth and KML track of the AT.
      Sounds easy doesn't it?
      I can always put a dish up through the trees for the internet.

When you want to get away, you have a choice, Beach or Woods, I like both. Hense the property I have down at Bethany Beach DE - to get to the beach I like most, I have a two mile hike thru the woods to get the back bay and sands. I can even take the dog. No rules - just right.

[IMG:http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Fun%20Post/morningjoe_zpscwhrnz23.jpg]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• That’s about what I pay in school and property taxes on two rental properties in another state. However i’m also subject to state income taxes.

Edit...referencing IMScotty’s post. WOO was quicker than I.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • IMScotty wrote:

My modest 1980 sq ft, 3 Bedroom one bath home with adjacent land (2.3 acres total) costs me over $9,800 year in property taxes in North Reading, Massachusetts.

yikes! Stick em up. Mines 1800. I feel much better now lol.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Most of my neighbors are members of the dominant culture, which means baby producing at a prodigious rate. I believe the current local status record is 13 kids.

Of course state and federal income tax laws allows a deduction for each child. Therefore over achievers don’t carry their share when school funding is considered, thereby shifting the burden to singles, childless couples, and folks with family planning concepts.

Time for me to step down from the soapbox.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • IMScotty wrote:

My modest 1980 sq ft, 3 Bedroom one bath home with adjacent land (2.3 acres total) costs me over $9,800 year in property taxes in North Reading, Massachusetts.

I do pay taxes on Long Island and it ain't easy.
      And I was told that me and Kathy earn too much to qualify for the senior citizen property tax discount.
      I don't know how that could be but that's what I was told down at town hall. ?(
      Maybe I should just stop working
    • Dan76 wrote:

Most of my neighbors are members of the dominant culture, which means baby producing at a prodigious rate. I believe the current local status record is 13 kids.

Of course state and federal income tax laws allows a deduction for each child. Therefore over achievers don’t carry their share when school funding is considered, thereby shifting the burden to singles, childless couples, and folks with family planning concepts.

Time for me to step down from the soapbox.
      Or your other option would be to get busy creating more dependents. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • uncle meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Oh I don’t know, cause it’s one of the more important factors in buying a home.
      Yeah, but the first is just like pitching, location, location, location. :D
      which equates to taxes taxes and more taxes. :D after all we don’t really own the land, we just pay to have dibs on paying the taxes.
      everyone knows about taxes, yet we still buy property. it's better than the alternative.
    • chief wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

which equates to taxes taxes and more taxes. :D after all we don’t really own the land, we just pay to have dibs on paying the taxes.
      everyone knows about taxes, yet we still buy property. it's better than the alternative.
      yup, it affords us the ability to sell to yet another chump who wants a go at home ownership...why don’t they call it land ownership? :D
    • uncle meat wrote:

chief wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

yup, it affords us the ability to sell to yet another chump who wants a go at home ownership...why don’t they call it land ownership? :D
      most people I know who criticize home/land ownership don't have the wherewithal buy anyway. they just like to bitch about what other people do.
    • chief wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

chief wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

most people I know who criticize home/land ownership don't have the wherewithal buy anyway. they just like to bitch about what other people do.
      yeah I’m just being cheeky, it sure beats renting at the end of saticfiying a mortgage, when you sometimes double your investment.
    • chief wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

chief wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

It's much easier to criticize other people's successes than to go out and work to achieve it yourself. It seems that goes for a lot of things besides home ownership.
      Let me stop right there or I might get "political" and have to get reprimanded.
    • Here, I pay about $5000 per $200,000 value residential in taxes annually.

It's the homeowner's that kills, with earthquake coverage(New Madrid Fault), it's around $2000 for $250,000 insured replacement value...so...to retire in the house that I own, without any mortgage, will cost me $600/month in fixed costs for taxes and insurance. Or, I can take that $600 and another $600 and go buy a condo in FL....or Brian Head, UT...just sayin...
    • I'm a New Englander through-and-through. I love to travel, but this is where my roots are. When I retire it would be so much cheaper to move elsewhere, but I just cannot do it. I will always live somewhere in New England (sorry Connecticut, this does not mean you :) )
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • ScareBear wrote:

Here, I pay about $5000 per $200,000 value residential in taxes annually.

It's the homeowner's that kills, with earthquake coverage(New Madrid Fault), it's around $2000 for $250,000 insured replacement value...so...to retire in the house that I own, without any mortgage, will cost me $600/month in fixed costs for taxes and insurance. Or, I can take that $600 and another $600 and go buy a condo in FL....or Brian Head, UT...just sayin...
      The Brian Head market has suffered from the fire. However now is a good time, if you don’t mind risking mud slides from burned areas and waiting 45 years for the forest regrowth.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • IMScotty wrote:

I'm a New Englander through-and-through. I love to travel, but this is where my roots are. When I retire it would be so much cheaper to move elsewhere, but I just cannot do it. I will always live somewhere in New England (sorry Connecticut, this does not mean you :) )
      Maine is pretty dang cheap. I was looking at Millinocket...not bad for a former mill town...you can get a nice little 3b2ba home for around 100k, even less outside of town. Found a "lake front" cabin for $125k, but it looked like it would be way too cold in the winter in that area. I can get frozen north woods for even less in upper WI or the UPMI if I wanted 35 below in January...frozen north woods is not very appealing without a ski mountain next door...just sayin...

Looking at little towns along the Panhandle...Appalachicola isn't tragic...

Brian Head is still my first pic. The resort survived ok as did the town, pretty much. I am going to try and get there for NYE and scout out the burns by snowmobile to get a feel for how bad the backcountry got it there. My friend said the fire maps are "overinclusive of the actual damage" near there, so we shall see...it looked pretty scary from the aerial footage I saw...
      Where else can you get a 2br2ba split level condo with underground parking and indoor pool next to a ski resort for under $100k?

The notion of western NC or TN is still appealing, I've scouted building sites and water is always the big issue. That and site prep being a logistical and actual nightmare...not unlike anywhere that the bedrock is inches below the soil...
    • it gets plenty cold enough right here in georgia for me to ever consider living any furthur north.

if ya gave me a house in maine for FREE i wouldn't take it if i had to stay there all 12 months.

there's a reason I-75 is jammed with people from new york, michigan, ohio, canada, etc headed to florida when that first snowflake comes drifting down.

weatherwise san diego is awesome -- but it makes day hiking the AT a bit problematic. and just as bad -- it's in california.
      2,000 miler
    • I'm good with winter in retirement(I'd better be...) but there has to be something in it for me, like snowshoeing at a minimum. Skiing would be better. The winters in the mountains in NC, TN and N. GA are fine with me. Any harsher and there had better be a big arse mountain next door. Can't afford CO, though...

Probably going to get a Brian Head property, if the burn isn't too horrific. It's out west with great hiking in the backyard and major bigly hiking easy drives away. Skiing is ok, but at retirement age, I doubt I'll be doing anymore randonee so it will be just fine. Six months there, six months in Costa Rica...it's a plan...just sayin...

I should have gotten in on St. George Island in 2009 when the FL market was at rock bottom. Could have picked up a beachfront 4br4ba home for $500,000 and used the rental income to pay for it until retirement. Doh. That property just sold for...yeah...more than twice...in just 8 years...DOH...

That's why I'm not going to wait to pull the trigger on BH. That market was jello soft to start with and now it's down to pudding soft...the price per square foot is just insanely low for that kind of property...low taxes and low HOA...minimal rental income, though....so with depreciation it will just be a big old tax deduction until retirement...
    • ScareBear wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

I'm a New Englander through-and-through. I love to travel, but this is where my roots are. When I retire it would be so much cheaper to move elsewhere, but I just cannot do it. I will always live somewhere in New England (sorry Connecticut, this does not mean you :) )
      Maine is pretty dang cheap. I was looking at Millinocket...not bad for a former mill town...you can get a nice little 3b2ba home for around 100k, even less outside of town. Found a "lake front" cabin for $125k, but it looked like it would be way too cold in the winter in that area. I can get frozen north woods for even less in upper WI or the UPMI if I wanted 35 below in January...frozen north woods is not very appealing without a ski mountain next door...just sayin...
      Looking at little towns along the Panhandle...Appalachicola isn't tragic...

Brian Head is still my first pic. The resort survived ok as did the town, pretty much. I am going to try and get there for NYE and scout out the burns by snowmobile to get a feel for how bad the backcountry got it there. My friend said the fire maps are "overinclusive of the actual damage" near there, so we shall see...it looked pretty scary from the aerial footage I saw...
      Where else can you get a 2br2ba split level condo with underground parking and indoor pool next to a ski resort for under $100k?

The notion of western NC or TN is still appealing, I've scouted building sites and water is always the big issue. That and site prep being a logistical and actual nightmare...not unlike anywhere that the bedrock is inches below the soil...
      With one friend as an exception - most people here in Chadds Ford PA and surrounding communities, head for Maine in the summer and come back, leaving a neighbor to keep an eye on the property.
    • max.patch wrote:

i met a ski instructor at killington who did it the "wrong way".

lived in vermont during the winter and in florida during the summer.

as a skier and scuba diver that worked for him.
      I have a similar plan in mind.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC