Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Log Cabin for sale - inside the gate at Pine Grove on the AT.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• One of the questions we voted on here in NJ this past gubernatorial election was. Paraphrasing here.

You can only use the money for a project, on that project.

Imagine that! what a novel idea. We’ll propose to the people a project, vote on the project and set aside money for that project, and then spend it somewhere else. :S
    • ScareBear wrote:

I

chief wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

I’ve lived throughout Europe. The common thread was the personal tax rate of upwards to 70% and the value added tax of upwards to 30% on most items. However a hospital stay did not place the average European in financial jeopardy.
      I’d have a very difficult time handing over 70% of my overtime pay cause I was trying to get ahead.
      IIRC, you get double pay and double longevity/vacation credits for any time over 35 hours. Plus minimum of one month paid vacation. You don't pay for health care. You have virtually no property taxes. You don't have to contribute separately to Social Security. You either pay nothing or very little for University. The trains run on time and are inexpensive. When you start adding it all up, for the same 50k income, the Nederlander is WAY ahead in comfort, safety, healthcare, education and retirement. Way ahead of USA. It is sad to make the actual comparison...
      it's sad you need to exaggerate to make your point.
      I've not exaggerated one thing. Proof please. See my prior post. Here are some links for MY proof of fact:
      https://www.mffa.nl/wp-content/uploads/Income-tax-and-social-security-in-the-Netherlands.pdf

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E51994_01/hcm92pbr4/eng/hcm/hgpn/concept_UnderstandingEarningsfortheNetherlands-297fed.html

https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/study/plan-your-study/tuition-fees-and-costs
      yep, you exaggerate. I've been to the Netherlands several times. it's a cool country to visit, but no thanks, i'll happily leave it to the all those happy Dutchmen.
    • LIhikers wrote:

..................TIME OUT...............

Now, anybody done any hiking lately?
      Me and Kathy went for a walk in the local county park today, just a couple of miles.
      Yep, Just got back from the SNP. Hiked up to the top of Little Calf mountain to test how well my knee is healing and all was good. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

well...i was at the point where i could walk 20 minutes without pain.

so i went for 30 minutes.

shouldn't have done that. :(
      Hopefully not a long term setback, and you will be able to increase again soon.
      mri next week; hopefully i get that shot of whatever of it is in the back the week following.
      epidural, you could pass a small mellow while sippin’ an umbrella drink. :D
    • uncle meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

mri next week; hopefully i get that shot of whatever of it is in the back the week following.
      you had one?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

you had one?
      almost, but no. That was the next step if it didn’t quiet down, but some women I know have while giving birth, they said it made it bearable...no pun intended. :D
    • Wife never got an epidural. Labor of 4 hours, 3, then 2. On the fourth she decided to go with a midwife, and he was born in a Jacuzzi tub.
      I always try to share with expecting parents when it comes up. Since I am sure they have already heard all of the horror stories. Nice to hear it might also go smoother also.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Wife never got an epidural. Labor of 4 hours, 3, then 2. On the fourth she decided to go with a midwife, and he was born in a Jacuzzi tub.
      I always try to share with expecting parents when it comes up. Since I am sure they have already heard all of the horror stories. Nice to hear it might also go smoother also.
      if I remember right, it can be a hairy procedure in as much as they could paralyze you so there’s that.
    • I know everyone is different, but I just hate for first time parents (especially the mother) to think everyone goes through 24 to 36 hours of labor. I think it is nice to know that it could be just a few hours with no complications. No reason to start stressing over something that might never happen. And if something does go differently, you can deal with it then with great medical personnel like TJ. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

I know everyone is different, but I just hate for first time parents (especially the mother) to think everyone goes through 24 to 36 hours of labor. I think it is nice to know that it could be just a few hours with no complications. No reason to start stressing over something that might never happen. And if something does go differently, you can deal with it then with great medical personnel like TJ. :)
      As I have previously posted, having delivered a baby unassisted (other than mom’s level headed cooperation) and assisted in several others, I’ve found women are tough creatures.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I hiked 3 miles within Gifford Pinchot State Park on Saturday, which is approximately 25 miles from Pine Grove Furnace State Park. I hear that there are some cabins for sale down there...

Might be a good place for a midwife to set up an office. Or an epidural addict clinic.

As long as you don't (or do) hike with dogs, a cellphone or guns, it's all good.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Dan76 wrote:

Astro wrote:

I know everyone is different, but I just hate for first time parents (especially the mother) to think everyone goes through 24 to 36 hours of labor. I think it is nice to know that it could be just a few hours with no complications. No reason to start stressing over something that might never happen. And if something does go differently, you can deal with it then with great medical personnel like TJ. :)
      As I have previously posted, having delivered a baby unassisted (other than mom’s level headed cooperation) and assisted in several others, I’ve found women are tough creatures.
      Women/Moms have staying power, men can be dogs and walk away.