Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

How do you feel about scattering of ashes on the AT?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• When one of my motorcycle buddies succumbed to cancer, his family had him cremated and passed out small Zip-Loks of ashes for friends to scatter all over the eastern U.S. His son referred to them as "dime bags of Dad".
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • i have a friend who started a non profit which takes cremated remains and places them in concrete "reef balls" which are placed in the ocean to make reefs which support fish and other sea life. family can participate as much or as little as they like in the process; decorating the exterior of the "reef ball" with handprints in the concrete while it cures and/or the inclusion of military medals in the concrete. they can take the boat ride to where the "reef ball" is dropped. they just can't dump these balls anywhere in the ocean they want; permits are required and are issued by the army corp of engineers (one of things they verify is that an artificial reef is needed in a location).

eternalreefs.com/
      2,000 miler
    • i like the story of the plumber and ny met baseball fan whose friend is flushing his remains down the toilets at baseball stadiums while the game is being played. at the time of this article parts of the remains had been flushed down 16 stadium toilets. because the cubs and mets were rivals he will not honor wrigley field with a flush. :)

latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-b…oilet-20170502-story.html
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Re: Asking permission to scatter ashes.

My Dad's final request was to have his ashes taken to Key West and set adrift in a small rowboat at sunset. Oh yeah... he wanted the boat packed with flammables and me to shoot a flaming arrow into the boat. My stepmother called a funeral home in the Keys and asked if they could help to set it up. They replied with a polite "No".

Better to pay the fines than ask permission.

As far as I know, his ashes are still in New Jersey.
      Instead of a flaming arrow, how about getting the ashes added to some fireworks and go out with a bang. I see a business opportunity for a fireworks manufacturer.
      Like Hunter S. Thompson's funeral. The ultimate sendoff..

Worth watching this video. Hunter was Gonzo.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

• This is my dad Derek E. Swarbrick who requested his ashes be scattered on the AT at the Pinnicle and all three sons had to participate. He spent years section hiking PA,MD, NY, Shenandoah and Maine with friends and myself. He passed two years ago. In his youth he climbed many of the French alps and the Matterhorn. I climbed with him England's peaks such as Snowdon near the lake district.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: