Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Loyalsock Trail, looking for info.

• Loyalsock Trail, looking for info.

Anybody here ever hike Pennsylvania's Loyalsock Trail?
      Kathy and I are considering it for our hiking trip in the spring of 2018.
      From what I've read it's about 60 miles with plenty of water and places to camp.
      Guess I'll have to check with Sandy of PA
      Now I'm off to order the guide book and maps.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

I walked about 2 miles of it this summer with my sister as part of another trail in Worlds End State park. I don't know much more about it. It is in the middle of the state while I live in the west.
      • Are there many good trails in Western PA and Eastern Ohio? LIHikers is also considering a unique future hike from NY to his son who lives in Ohio.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

I walked about 2 miles of it this summer with my sister as part of another trail in Worlds End State park. I don't know much more about it. It is in the middle of the state while I live in the west.
      • Are there many good trails in Western PA and Eastern Ohio? LIHikers is also considering a unique future hike from NY to his son who lives in Ohio.

I have that route all planned out already and it goes something like this:
      NY's Long Path north into the Catskill mountains to meet up with The Finger Lakes Trail.
      The Finger Lakes Trail west across New Yorks southern tier.
      Then the North Country Trail southwest across the northwest corner of Pennsylvania into Ohio and the Buckeye Trail.
      After that it gets kinda fuzzy as I don't know of any trails to Mansfield, Ohio, where my son and his wife live.
    • I think I bought the trail guide and maps 20+ years ago. That was when I thought it was crazy to hike a 60 mile trail end to end...

I've criss-crossed the trail over the years but never hiked it. Beautiful country up there - my buddy's family has a cabin near Hillsgrove and I've ridden many of the forest service roads on my motorcycle.

Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, and Sams Gap NC/TN (I-26) to Franconia Notch NH.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

I think I bought the trail guide and maps 20+ years ago. That was when I thought it was crazy to hike a 60 mile trail end to end...

I've criss-crossed the trail over the years but never hiked it. Beautiful country up there - my buddy's family has a cabin near Hillsgrove and I've ridden many of the forest service roads on my motorcycle.

I've ordered the guide book and maps.
    • New

LIhikers wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

I think I bought the trail guide and maps 20+ years ago. That was when I thought it was crazy to hike a 60 mile trail end to end...

I've ordered the guide book and maps.
      I want the bike. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • New

pahikes.com/trails/old-loggers-path

Well nothing over 2400 feet so not so bad... I IMO would not start till end of May due to weather, I would not start if I was not under 215 lbs. ( My weight) last week I topped 255 I am now back down to 245. So I am headed for a daily gym.
      There was an Old Man with a owl,
      Who continued to bother and howl;
      He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
      Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl.WOO
    • New

LIhikers wrote:

I got the guide and maps today.
      It looks like a pretty tough trail with lots and lots of ups and downs
      I better loose some weight before next April or we'll have to find another trail
      The maps and guide don't make parking info very clear, unless I'm not understanding something
      Can't be harder than NH and ME can it?
    • New

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I better loose some weight before next April or we'll have to find another trail
      The maps and guide don't make parking info very clear, unless I'm not understanding something
      I agree.
    • New

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I agree.
      While that's probably true, it'll provides some good motivation to stay active over the winter and to loose some weight
      Thanks for the insight
    • New

How much you want to loose is up to you. Drop below 800kcal and do 1 solid dinner 5 light mini meals thoughout the day and zero beer, it comes off.

I think loosing weight is harder than going back to college... I have done it twice in 30 years - I now have to do it again.
    • New

Wise Old Owl wrote:

How much you want to loose is up to you. Drop below 800kcal and do 1 solid dinner 5 light mini meals thoughout the day and zero beer, it comes off.

I think loosing weight is harder than going back to college... I have done it twice in 30 years - I now have to do it again.
      I agree. No comparison for me. I love learning, but I think I love eating (and perhaps overeating) even more. :rolleyes:
    • New

Wise Old Owl wrote:

You are kidding, right?
      No beer? Yea, sure. :)
      Actually I don't drink much but I do enjoy an occasional beer on the occasions when I can.
    • New

Wise Old Owl wrote:

If zero beer is the beer you drink on zero hiking days I'm all set :thumbsup:
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • New

Looks like these plans might change.
      The young woman we took out earlier this year for her first backpacking trip might want to come along with us next spring.
      If she does in fact join us then I think we'll hike the AT across Maryland, Harper's Ferry to Penn Mar park.
      Only time will tell.
    • New

LIhikers wrote:

Looks like these plans might change.
      The young woman we took out earlier this year for her first backpacking trip might want to come along with us next spring.
      If she does in fact join us then I think we'll hike the AT across Maryland, Harper's Ferry to Penn Mar park.
      Only time will tell.
      That is a nice hike, I have done it 4 times total, 2 times in each direction. The train to Harpers Ferry is the easiest way for me to get to the AT.