Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Thinking of being Ohio bound

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Thinking of being Ohio bound

I live about 35 miles east of New York City, on Long Island.
      For a while I've had this idea that I want to walk to my son's house in Mansfield, Ohio.The route would go something like this, from New York City I'd hike north on NY's Long Path to Harriman State Park. From there it would be the AT southbound to New Jersey's High Point State Park. Then north again on the Shawangunk Ridge Trail so I can then pick up the Long Path again going north into the Catskills. There I'd pick up the Finger Lakes Trail going west across New Yorks southern tier. Then I'd take the North Country Trail across the north west corner of Pennsylvania and into Ohio. That's as far as I've gotten so far in my rough planning. I'd still need a route to my son's place.
      While I haven't added up mileage I'm guesstimating about 1500 miles.

I'm thinking next summer might be the time to do this but I haven't yet broached the subject with my wife or boss.
      It would be an adventure for sure, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up a career I enjoy or to be separated from my wife for months at a time.
      I'd be interested to hear any and all opinions of my plan.
    • I share many of your feelings, both desires and constraints. I would love to do an AT Thru-Hike, but still have one child still in high school, and prefer not be away from my wife for that long. The next question is how long do I want/need to keep working full time.

I think the NY-Ohio hike is an awesome idea, and you would get to see a lot neat things. It also would have special meaning for you. :thumbup:

My best recommendation would be to get the paper and pencil out and weight the pro and cons, and look at things such as timing (now, 1 year from now, 2 years, 5 year, etc..). Basically somehow logically weighing what is most important for you emotionally. Then perhaps emotionally reviewing your logic. To me planning is a big part of the adventure, even if it does not happen right away. In the end just try to make the best decision for you, and enjoy it. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • If you want to do it, you will.

Me? If I was going to spend 1500 miles hiking anything...it would be the northernmost 1500 miles on the PCT...even though...hmmm....I've got almost exactly 1500 miles to go to complete the AT....

Funny how things change with time and experiences...

YMMV...just sayin...
    • does your son have the type of job/home life/vacation that you can call him in march and say "see ya sometime in july or august'?

for the time commitment that 1,500 miles requires i'd probably pick the trail that i wanted to do the most. that may or may not be the trail to your son's house. i remember you talking about this years ago on trailplace so it may very well be.

i know one things for sure -- if you do the trail you describe -- you will be able to claim a FKT!
      2,000 miler
    • I brought the subject up with Kathy yesterday and her first reaction was " What about the AT in Maine? What about our plan for the AT? "
      I reminded her that we've skipped the AT other summers for other vacations.
      I guess I'm just going to have to weigh the pros and cons like Astro suggested.
      I'll keep ya all informed.
    • Dan76 wrote:

Plan the hike and keep us informed.
      I've been sitting with the computer the last couple of hours to figure out how far my hike to Ohio would actually be.
      The best I can figure right now is 1113 miles, in round numbers. That' not counting the numerous times I'll have to go off the trail for resupply, post office stops, motel to shower, and on and on. I'm thinking of starting in the middle of July 2019. Come spring 2019 I'll talk to the folks at work about a long term leave of absence.
    • LIhikers wrote:

We've run into a snag for this trip.
      We now don't have anyone to live in our house while we are away.
      Our adult son was going to do it but he's agreed to house sit for friends who are moving to Ecuador for an undetermined period of time.
      Is there public transit to NYC from where you live? If so, I might have a suggestion of a very responsible person who could do it. Feel free to PM
    • Trillium wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Our adult son was going to do it but he's agreed to house sit for friends who are moving to Ecuador for an undetermined period of time.
      Is there public transit to NYC from where you live? If so, I might have a suggestion of a very responsible person who could do it. Feel free to PM
      Thanks for taking our dilemma seriously.
      I'll run the idea past Kathy.
      I guess what we really need is a life style change.
      Maybe I should ask my son if we can live in his garage and just sell our house.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Trillium wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Thanks for taking our dilemma seriously.I'll run the idea past Kathy.
      I guess what we really need is a life style change.
      I know after a long hike I realize I can simplify my life, and I have a lot of stuff I really don't need. :)
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Trillium wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Thanks for taking our dilemma seriously.I'll run the idea past Kathy.I guess what we really need is a life style change.
      I know after a long hike I realize I can simplify my life, and I have a lot of stuff I really don't need. :)
      3/4 of what's in my basement I don't know I have.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Trillium wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Thanks for taking our dilemma seriously.I'll run the idea past Kathy.I guess what we really need is a life style change.Maybe I should ask my son if we can live in his garage and just sell our house.
      3/4 of what's in my basement I don't know I have.
      You have a basement in Alabama? Figured that be an indoor swimming pool.
    • Kathy and I have been thinking and talking about this possible hike to Ohio and decided NOT to do it in the summer of 2019.
      Instead we'll finish the AT in Maine. We want to finish one thing before we start another. Besides, the hike to Ohio will have less mountains than Maine so we should get Maine finished before we get much older. I'm going to ask for 6 weeks off next summer, if the company balks at that idea I'll have a decision to make, although right now I'm inclined to quit if they say no.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Kathy and I have been thinking and talking about this possible hike to Ohio and decided NOT to do it in the summer of 2019.
      Instead we'll finish the AT in Maine. We want to finish one thing before we start another. Besides, the hike to Ohio will have less mountains than Maine so we should get Maine finished before we get much older. I'm going to ask for 6 weeks off next summer, if the company balks at that idea I'll have a decision to make, although right now I'm inclined to quit if they say no.
      My wife has a list of vacations she wants to do. Not hiking, but we too are prioritizing based on rigor. We are getting the more strenuous trips out of the way before we get too old. We know a lot of people who planned on doing lots of traveling after they retired, but when the finally did, they couldn't do much of what they wanted.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I've been thinking about my walk to Ohio again. Not only would I be able to walk there, most of the way on hiking trails, but I'd be able to bicycle on mapped bike routes for most of the way too.

Now I'm thinking of a round trip adventure, walking one way and riding the other.
      Similarly, at some point on my thru I was thinking about how neat it would be to ride my bike home. I obviously changed my mind after thinking about it for a couple weeks. Glad I did; when I finished it was starting to get cold and to be honest I was ready to be back at home with family and friends.

During my hike I also thought canoeing the length of the Mississippi would be a next neat adventure. When I got home I read a book by someone who actually did that, and I decided that for me it would be more work than fun. I did end up getting involved with white water canoeing and kayaking.

Knowing how you enjoy both hiking and biking I bet you'd like the Ohio round trip if you can figure out the logistics. And get permission from the boss. :)
      2,000 miler
    • Ohio has a really good network of bike paths. I've crossed the path along the Little Miami River at Loveland numerous times. If you plan on starting / ending near Cincinnati, let me know. I can help with logistics, assuming I get back there to work in the office.

Just got the official notice that I'm working from home (the PA home) until April 30th. Mrs. Tortoise and the dog are thrilled - much better than the weekend visits.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard