Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hitching

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I've never done it but it'll be a necessity in the near future. I'm scared to death thinking about it...not that I'll get picked up by a creep, but that I won't get picked up at all and be stuck. Ok, a little concerned about the creep part.

Shuttles are a solution but a lot of my hikes are spur -of-the-moment with no time to plan and in areas with no cell service.

Any advice or stories would be appreciated.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Hitching

Just start walking and stick your thumb out. I've been picked up every time so far. I just got a ride on route 58 going into Damascus at night by the first car that I saw going that way. They asked me if I was a killer and I said that's a trick question.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • TrafficJam wrote:

I've never done it but it seems it'll be a necessity in the near future. I'm scared to death thinking about it...not that I'll get picked up by a creep, but that I won't get picked up at all and be stuck. Ok, a little concerned about the creep part.

Shuttles are a solution but a lot of my hikes are spur -of-the-moment with no time to plan and in areas with no cell service.

Any advice or stories would be appreciated.
      Hi TJ
      ...first I think you lost your scarf
      and secondly, maybe start making some friends in the areas you like to hike in, by that I just mean, look into some shutters who wouldn't mind spur of the moment type clientele. As far as hitchin goes, eek, I'll do it too but would give my daughter hell for the same act. I think you just have to use the smarts we all use everyday in our normal lives. I know that's not much help. and I know there are some tips...but i'm drawing a blank right now. perhaps don't put your pack in the back of a pick-up truck...i dunno, I guess you have to be assertive right from the start, and be alright with not worrying about offending someone who by all accounts is trying to help...again I know not much help...

trust your instincts,thats all. you dont have to get in if you feel anything's"off".
      i never had a problem hitching. usually got picked up within a few minutes.in season, longest i waited was about 20 minutes in grafton notch a coupla years ago. this past september when i came off outside rangeley in the rain, there was a guy at the trailhead parking lot asked me and another thru i had met if we needed a ride into town.
      and partner up whenever its convenient.2 is definitely better than solo.
      its all good

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Just start walking and stick your thumb out. I've been picked up every time so far. I just got a ride on route 58 going into Damascus at night by the first car that I saw going that way. They asked me if I was a killer and I said that's a trick question.

Funny...they picked you up anyway.

They were Beatles fans gif.005
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

To be a little more specific, I'm thinking of hitching in a park during off season that doesn't get local traffic.
      See now that would be one of those situations and places I might not like to hitch hike, if you no there's no local traffic then probably so do the local weirdos.

You're right, I should probably make plans with a shuttler and stick to the plan or do an out and back... I get sick of out and backs.
    • Re:Re: Re:Hitching

CoachLou wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

To be a little more specific, I'm thinking of hitching in a park during off season that doesn't get local traffic.

Which park?

Somewhere along Skyline Drive

I think they close the road during bad weather

Yes, everything's weather dependent. That's why I can't plan too far in advance.

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

See now that would be one of those situations and places I might not like to hitch hike, if you no there's no local traffic then probably so do the local weirdos.

You're right, I should probably make plans with a shuttler and stick to the plan or do an out and back... I get sick of out and backs.
      yeah, that's the game, it's a trade off...I much prefer loops as well, out and backs seem so "been there done that" but on the brighter side...hiking is hiking no matter where it's at, a philosophy I adopted out of necessity living in one of the most crowded States in the Union. I really have to work at it to keep it fresh, it can be done, but requires a little homework.

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

yeah, that's the game, it's a trade off...I much prefer loops as well, out and backs seem so "been there done that" but on the brighter side...hiking is hiking no matter where it's at, a philosophy I adopted out of necessity living in one of the most crowded States in the Union. I really have to work at it to keep it fresh, it can be done, but requires a little homework.

I have a lot of self doubt and question my capabilities and experience, or lack of. Basically I want to show up and see if the trail situation is right for me. If it looks doable I hike, if not, I won't. That's what I did yesterday and it worked great. If everything falls into place, I want to hike as far as I can and hitch back to my car.

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I have a lot of self doubt and question my capabilities and experience, or lack of. Basically I want to show up and see if the trail situation is right for me. If it looks doable I hike, if not, I won't. That's what I did yesterday and it worked great. If everything falls into place, I want to hike as far as I can and hitch back to my car.
      Honestly, It sounds to me like you have Longdistanitis. The good news, it can be cured by taking a thru-hike. ever think about it?

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Honestly, It sounds to me like you have Longdistanitis. The good news, it can be cured by taking a thru-hike. ever think about it?

I'm putting 2 kids through college...not gonna happen anytime soon.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm putting 2 kids through college...not gonna happen anytime soon.
      ah, same boat, not that I care to thru-hike (it's not for me) perhaps you just need a good longish section hike...3-5 days say to shake this malady.
    • What's the hitch to hitch-hiking? I have been picked up in many different places and you would think that with the way society views people on the road now days that it would be difficult for a person like me to hitch-hike, but it is really not. Most states have laws against standing in one spot trying to hitch a ride, but if you are moving along the side of the road than they usually don't say anything. I have even hitched a ride with my bicycle in tow and that usually happened when I was walking my bike. That is my idea of taking a break, you know, getting off of your bicycle and walking it. I mean, look at me, when I am actually bald and it is warmer weather, my head and arms are littered with tattoos. I have a tribal piece that runs over my left ear from the back of my head and down my side burn and you numerous amounts of skulls. You would think that a person in their right mind would not pick up a person like me. The best rides I have ever acquired came from people when I was not even hitching. They just stopped and offered me a ride. I got a ride from Lumber City, Georgia all the way to Atlanta and when we got there, after hearing my story and what I was doing, the guy gave me a hundred dollar bill and would not allow me to refuse it. He must of known that I was going to attempt to refuse it since he said to me "Here, let me give you this so you can do something" and then jumped into his truck and rode off as I was left standing there with my mouth agape. He owns Ramirez Tree Service in Atlanta and was bidding a job in Alma. That was a 250 mile ride that I caught with him and his wife. Some days you have more luck than others. some spots are better than others. At Woody Gap the very first time I stuck my thumb out a person picked me up and took me into Suches, Ga where I stayed at the Wolf-Pen Gap Hostel in 2013. The Sherriff of Unicoi County himself gave me a lift back to Woody Gap. The next time I came off the trail was near Hiawassee. The parking areas were loaded with day hikers and the road had a lot of traffic on in. I tried asking people who were getting into their cars which direction they were heading and anyone who said they were going into Hiawassee I asked them if they could give me a lift. Everyone said no. Nobody picked me up that except for a park ranger and he took me to a parking lot where the police could take me to the county jail. Not because I was trying to hitch-hike, but because I had a warrant out of Florida for Driving on a suspended license. So that ended my hike in 2013. I do not recommend making Hiawassee a re-supply point because if you do not get picked up it is something like 10 miles to town. I only did it because there was stuff that was being sent to the post office for me and I had to pick it up along with some money being sent by moneygram. Needless to say I acquired neither. As far as the types of people that pick you up? Well, you never can tell about people anymore. Appearances mean nothing anymore. If I am going to accept a ride from anybody I move my knife to a point where it is easily accessible yet still hidden. Just in case. If something bad was to happen then you will need to have at least some type of way to protect your self and if something were to go wrong then a knife to the neck solves everything instantly. I am not saying this would ever happen, but I have had a group of guys try to rob me in Trillacoochee, Florida and it did not work out very well for them. It pays to always be alert and a little weary, but everyone deserves a chance to be given a certain amount of trust until they prove other wise. The story behind the attempted robbery? Well, it was December 2012 and it was about 12:00 at night when I pulled up to this bar that had a fire going outside and some people were sitting outside by the fire. It was cold and I was tired and there was even ice on my pack. I started talking with these guys and they were local homeless. All of my bells and whistles were silenced by the fact that I wanted to get warm and got to sleep so I made the mistake of asking them if there was a safe spot to camp. One of the guys, named Eddie, said yes and that he would show me where. There was four people that were left sitting around the fire as Eddie led me down this dark trail. About a hundred feet into the trail I start to get this inkling that something was just not right about this whole situation so I transferred the can of mace I was carrying from my hip to my hand inside my hoodie pocket. The next thing you know we open up into a clearing and in the glint of the moonlight I saw him pull a knife out of his pocket and whirled around real fast and said "Now your gonna gimme....." That is when I dispensed the fiery hot liquid of mace into face and started backing up. I turned my bicycle as fast as humanly possible and started running down the trail as fast as I could. I will always remember this event because it was the first and last time I will ever let my guard down, well that, and the fact that as I was running away he actually yelled "You come back here!" I remember thinking "Yeah, like that's gonna happen!" When I hit the trail head and into the parking lot I jumped on my bike and began peddling. I passed the fire and all four of Eddie's friends had a look of astonishment on their faces because every one of them knew what was going to happen when Eddie and I walked down that trail. I yelled "Tell him to feel that burn, bitches!" as I pedaled by fueled on adrenaline. I pedaled as far and as fast as I could into the darkness before I just bowled off into the woods and pitched my tent. I was so terrified that I actually kept looking over my shoulder looking for car lights thinking that they were going to run me down, but they were homeless and none of them had cars anyway. That story does not depict what happens when hitch-hiking goes bad, but it does pitch a good point for being prepared around people who you have just met.
      "You might not get everything you want out of life, but you will get exactly what you need!"-Dakota Joe 2006
    • Ever since Kathy and I started backpacking we've done a lot of the things we always told our kids not to do. Hitch hiking, staying in the home of a stranger, accepting food from strangers, and more if I thought about it. It's all turned out good so far, but we go into each situation with our eyes wide open and our "antenna" up. Like someone else said, trust your gut.
    • Traffic Jam this is easy - you wont be in Shenandoah before April - to cold, windy and it doesn't green line up until after April 19th. (No leaves) dig into the area on Google call ahead to the shuttlers find out a little about roughly they are in relation to the park - stick them on Speed Dial! Also discover their cost per mile.

Stop worrying about the creeps - easiest way to disarm a creep? I kid you not, thank them for picking you up and ask them if they are a christian - then talk about being born again, or Have you found Jesus? and really give a sermon.... they wont touch you... Even if you are or are not... this disses folks into remembering you and wanting to drop you off as fast as possible... nothing like incessant talking... :whistle:

Take a personal friendly Sherpa to carry your gear. If you can find one.

Trust your instincts - open ended questions - use your street smarts....I agree with Dakota Joe's post.. take some bear spray!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • LIhikers wrote:

Ever since Kathy and I started backpacking we've done a lot of the things we always told our kids not to do. Hitch hiking, staying in the home of a stranger, accepting food from strangers, and more if I thought about it. It's all turned out good so far, but we go into each situation with our eyes wide open and our "antenna" up. Like someone else said, trust your gut.

That's funny, do as I say not as I do. The first time I picked up hitchhikers my kids had a fit. Last week when a manhunt was going on in the smokies they made it a point to warn me again. And I thought they weren't listening.
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

Traffic Jam this is easy - you wont be in Shenandoah before April - to cold, windy and it doesn't green line up until after April 19th. (No leaves) dig into the area on Google call ahead to the shuttlers find out a little about roughly they are in relation to the park - stick them on Speed Dial! Also discover their cost per mile.

Stop worrying about the creeps - easiest way to disarm a creep? I kid you not, thank them for picking you up and ask them if they are a christian - then talk about being born again, or Have you found Jesus? and really give a sermon.... they wont touch you... Even if you are or are not... this disses folks into remembering you and wanting to drop you off as fast as possible... nothing like incessant talking... :whistle:

Trust your instincts - open ended questions - use your street smarts....I agree with Dakota Joe's post.. take some bear spray!
      and why won't she be out before leaf out?...to cold?...don't think so, her trips are spur of the moment. She's no fair weather hiker.
    • rocksNsocks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Traffic Jam this is easy - you wont be in Shenandoah before April - to cold, windy and it doesn't green line up until after April 19th. (No leaves) dig into the area on Google call ahead to the shuttlers find out a little about roughly they are in relation to the park - stick them on Speed Dial! Also discover their cost per mile.

and why won't she be out before leaf out?...to cold?...don't think so, her trips are spur of the moment. She's no fair weather hiker.

Thanks Socks! I can definitely say I'm not a fair weather hiker anymore. I hiked in SNP yesterday and it was cold, windy, and snowy but it was amazing. I stayed warm wearing just base layers. After hiking in PA last week, I'm confident with winter hiking but not sleeping outside...that'll come one day. In SNP, I road walked about 3 miles back to the barrier and definitely would have hitched a ride if the road was open.

Bear spray...that's been a big mental debate for me. It may seem like an easy choice but I have reasons to not want to carry it. We'll see.

Headed out for my last vacation hike near Roanoke then back to the real world. What an adventure I've had...one of the best trips ever!
    • TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Thanks Socks! I can definitely say I'm not a fair weather hiker anymore. I hiked in SNP yesterday and it was cold, windy, and snowy but it was amazing. I stayed warm wearing just base layers. After hiking in PA last week, I'm confident with winter hiking but not sleeping outside...that'll come one day. In SNP, I road walked about 3 miles back to the barrier and definitely would have hitched a ride if the road was open.

Bear spray...that's been a big mental debate for me. It may seem like an easy choice but I have reasons to not want to carry it. We'll see.

Headed out for my last vacation hike near Roanoke then back to the real world. What an adventure I've had...one of the best trips ever!
      oh that's great, I can't wait to get back out so I can get back home again and get warm, hehe. Hey I like Mace, but it does come with it's pit falls...legality's being one, shame it has to be that way, but some folks use it or the bear spray on a human and they end up gettin counter sued for improper use...but as they say, better to be trialed by 12 than carried by 6. glad you were able to get out and hike, Winter is pretty. Ya know, you'll know when your ready to hitch, and I'm sure it'll be fine, as others have said just use your smarts and intuition.
    • rocksNsocks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

My post had nothing to do with the weather, best time to go is after the green line which is May. She can hike anytime, best time is in may or thereafter... Bear spray - real military mace is off the shelves anyway... its all pepper spray now. I wasn't talking about the need for bears... Oh

Why? Bear Spray 20-30 feet stream - pocket size 4 feet. Post Offfice size 6-8 for dogs.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • WiseOldOwl wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

My post had nothing to do with the weather, best time to go is after the green line which is May. She can hike anytime, best time is in may or thereafter... Bear spray - real military mace is off the shelves anyway... its all pepper spray now. I wasn't talking about the need for bears... Oh

Why? Bear Spray 20-30 feet stream - pocket size 4 feet. Post Offfice size 6-8 for dogs.

I appreciated your comment WOO. I understood what you were saying even though sometimes I don't :) Even when I don't understand, I like all your posts.

I plan on hiking in SNP the last week of March (keeping my fingers crossed the weather is decent).