Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

And In Other News

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• And In Other News

is it any wonder the southern states can handle the snow...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-bracing-for-taste-of-norths-winter-freeze/

oh my, a whole 2" that's somethin

...you know what somethin is right, when ya got both hands around it and there's 2" left over

...that's somethin.

I except full responsibility for this post
    • And In Other News

Gassy Cows blamed for explosion:

http://www.my9nj.com/story/24562554/gassy-german-cows-blamed-for-barn-explosion
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • And In Other News

rocksNsocks wrote:

...you know what somethin is right, when ya got both hands around it and there's 2" left over

...that's somethin.

On the drive from NYC to Georgia we encountered some snow.
      HB asked IM and me if we had any experience in snow.
      Basically we laughed.
      I have mega experience on loose surface roads but zip on snow.
      HB drove the whole way.
      gif.004
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • And In Other News

OzJacko wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

...that's somethin.

Basically we laughed.
      HB drove the whole way.
      gif.004
      hey I'm a real wuss when it comes to drivin on snow...I'll do it, but it really un-nerves me...had a few bad accidents...
    • And In Other News

OzJacko wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

...that's somethin.

Basically we laughed.
      HB drove the whole way.
      gif.004

Oz, I can relate. Never saw the stuff until I was 20. My wife grew up in Northern Indiana near the Michigan border, so I have no problem admitting she is more experienced in snow and ice.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • And In Other News

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/01/tsa-screener-confession-102912.html#.UuvK7GCPLb0

It ain't funny, but it is tragic. It is amazing the freedoms we will gladly surrender in the name of junk science and "protection". I have not flown since these things were installed because of innocent modest young and old being molested and gawked at by perverts on my dime.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • And In Other News

BirdBrain wrote:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/01/tsa-screener-confession-102912.html#.UuvK7GCPLb0

It ain't funny, but it is tragic. It is amazing the freedoms we will gladly surrender in the name of junk science and "protection"..........

And it's not just when flying that our rights are wronged. I had always wanted to take the train across the country. On the return leg, from CA to NY I had a minor skirmish with a plain clothes police officer on the train, stopped at the Kansas City station. In the end I won, either because he didn't want to cause a scene or because he knew I was right, or both. You have to be ready to stand up for your rights at all times.
      Benjamin Franklin is quoted as saying...“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    • And In Other News

OzJacko wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/24601276/2014/01/31/no-bond-for-sebring-woman-who-repeatedly-fed-bears

Might have been a more appropriate punishment to make her attend the bear's euthanising....
      A bit of a no win story really.

That's not a bad idea at all.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • My wife just told me this...

Sadly Famed Mathematician John Nash and his Wife have died in a car crash yesterday on the NJ turnpike, the taxis they were in crashed and they were both ejected to story says.

John Was the main character in the movie "A Beautiful Mind" played by Russel Crowe, and how his life was affected by Schizophrenia (fantastic movie). Last week John Nash received the Nobel piece prize, he was returning home from the trip. He lived in our town and I walk past his house about twice a week for a long time now. He was a good Dude.
    • It was the Abel mathematics medal that he was awarded - conferred by the King of Sweden.

He got a Nobel (in economics, not peace) in 1994.

He'll surely be missed. He did seminal work in game theory that informed much of the strategies of the Cold War. And equally seminal work on nonlinear partial differential equations, which lies at the root of the finite element methods for aerodynamics and for stress analysis.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

It was the Abel mathematics medal that he was awarded - conferred by the King of Sweden.

He'll surely be missed. He did seminal work in game theory that informed much of the strategies of the Cold War. And equally seminal work on nonlinear partial differential equations, which lies at the root of the finite element methods for aerodynamics and for stress analysis.
      thank you very much for those corrections Kevin, apprieciate that.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

It was the Abel mathematics medal that he was awarded - conferred by the King of Sweden.

What did he just say? :D
    • LIhikers wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

What did he just say? :D
      It's Latin....or maybe Sudanese.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

What did he just say?
      Sorry, sometimes I start sounding like a professor again. :S
      Nash made major contributions to economics, to military strategy, to aerodynamics, and to structural analysis, among other fields. People who work in those fields use his discoveries daily whether they know it or not.
      Hey, I hope sounding like a professor is not such a bad thing. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

What did he just say?
      Sorry, sometimes I start sounding like a professor again. :S Nash made major contributions to economics, to military strategy, to aerodynamics, and to structural analysis, among other fields. People who work in those fields use his discoveries daily whether they know it or not.
      Hey, I hope sounding like a professor is not such a bad thing. :)
      I like it...hope some rubs off on me. Hangin' around smart people never makes you dumb.
    • Let me give you some good news you won't see or hear anyplace else.
      While driving to work today I see a pick-up truck on the grass shoulder on the side of the Northern State Parkway.
      There's an elderly, black, man rolling the spare tire forward along the side of the truck while a younger, white, State Trooper is loosening the lug nuts.
      Just thought you might want t know! :thumbup:
    • LIhikers wrote:

Let me give you some good news you won't see or hear anyplace else.
      While driving to work today I see a pick-up truck on the grass shoulder on the side of the Northern State Parkway.
      There's an elderly, black, man rolling the spare tire forward along the side of the truck while a younger, white, State Trooper is loosening the lug nuts.
      Just thought you might want t know! :thumbup:
      I posted a similar scenario on FB the other day. Happens more than we know.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • and in other news...

a bail of marijuana falls from airplane and wipes out dog house...give a whole new meaning to bail out.

Bundle of marijuana worth $10,000 falls from the sky and crushes doghouse

• Police: 26lb-package likely dropped from smuggler’s aircraft or drone
      • Arizona couple who handed drugs in must rehouse German Shepherd, Hulk

[IMG:https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/3a0fe3c5b020d55573c3d2b1a0b254bf27f8da61/172_0_2025_1215/master/2025.jpg?w=300&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=80a1c3a6c06b3e63d8cd37860f8c72ed]
      The marijuana that fell from the sky on Maya Donnelly’s carport was estimated to be worth $10,000. Photograph: Mike Hutchings/Reuters

Associated Press in Nogales, Arizona
      Sunday 27 September 2015 17.01 EDTLast modified on Sunday 27 September 201519.42 EDT
      [list][*]
      [/list]Maya Donnelly awoke to what sounded like thunder in the early morning hours, but dismissed it as a typical monsoon storm and went back to sleep. Later that morning, she looked in the carport at her home in Nogales, near the US-Mexico border, and saw pieces of wood on the ground.

Read more
      She found a bulky bundle wrapped in black plastic. Inside was roughly 26lbs of marijuana – a package that authorities say was worth $10,000 and was likely dropped there accidentally by a drug smuggler’s aircraft.
      Police are now trying to determine whether the bundle was transported by an aircraft or a pilotless drone. Such runs usually occur at night.
      “It’s all right on top of our dog’s house,” Donnelly said of the incident, which occurred on 8 September and was first reported by the Nogales International newspaper. “It just made a perfectly round hole through our carport.”
      Living near the border, Donnelly said she assumed the object contained drugs. She immediately called her husband, Bill, who told her to call 911. The couple said officers who responded told them an ultralight aircraft smuggling marijuana from Mexico had probably let part of its load go early by accident before dropping the rest farther north, the newspaper reported.
      Nogales police chief Derek Arnson said it was the first time in his three-year tenure that he had seen a load of drugs hit a building.
      “Someone definitely made a mistake, and who knows what the outcome of that mistake might be for them,” Arnson said.
      Maya Donnelly said she thought it unlikely someone would come looking for the drugs, which are now in police custody. Arnson agreed but said police had boosted patrols in the neighbourhood.
      The family will have to pay the estimated $500 in repairs, as well as pay for a new home for their German Shepherd, Hulk. But the scenario could have been much worse for the couple and their three teenage daughters.
      “Where it landed was clear on the other side of the house from the bedrooms,” Maya Donnelly said. “We were lucky in that sense.”
      Friends and family also have gotten a laugh. Several joked that the couple could have profited from the surprise package.
      “That’s what everybody says: ‘Why did you call 911?”’ Maya Donnelly said. “But how can you have a clear conscience, right? We could have made lots of home repairs with that.”

apparently this a is a pretty common occurance

nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Pla…-to-Mexico-233528591.html

deseretnews.com/article/392575…DROP-FROM-SKY.html?pg=all

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• ...only in Dusseldorf

College student ‘murdered’ in 1984 found living in Germany

Published September 27, 2015
      FoxNews.com
      Facebook4748 Twitter424 livefyre248 Email Print
      A woman who disappeared 31 years ago in Germany and was registered dead after a man confessed to her murder, was found two weeks ago living in Dusseldorf, the International Business Times reported.
      In 1984, Petra Pazsitka, a 24-year-old computer science student, failed to show up at her brother’s birthday celebration, setting off a massive police search. Pazsitka was living in student housing at the time in the German city of Braunschweig.
      Detectives elicited help from a popular German crime show called “Aktenzeichen XY,” and later a suspect in the rape and murder of a 14-year-old girl confessed to killing Pazsitka, according to NBC News.

foxnews.com/world/2015/09/27/c…lnk2%26pLid%3D-1446975614
    • socks wrote:

and in other news...

a bail of marijuana falls from airplane and wipes out dog house...give a whole new meaning to bail out.

Bundle of marijuana worth $10,000 falls from the sky and crushes doghouse

• Police: 26lb-package likely dropped from smuggler’s aircraft or drone
      • Arizona couple who handed drugs in must rehouse German Shepherd,

The marijuana that fell from the sky on Maya Donnelly’s carport was estimated to be worth $10,000. Photograph: Mike Hutchings/Reuters

Associated Press in Nogales, Arizona
      Sunday 27 September 2015 17.01 EDTLast modified on Sunday 27 September 201519.42 EDT
      [list][*]
      [/list]Maya Donnelly awoke to what sounded like thunder in the early morning hours, but dismissed it as a typical monsoon storm and went back to sleep. Later that morning, she looked in the carport at her home in Nogales, near the US-Mexico border, and saw pieces of wood on the ground.

Read more
      She found a bulky bundle wrapped in black plastic. Inside was roughly 26lbs of marijuana – a package that authorities say was worth $10,000 and was likely dropped there accidentally by a drug smuggler’s aircraft.
      Police are now trying to determine whether the bundle was transported by an aircraft or a pilotless drone. Such runs usually occur at night.
      “It’s all right on top of our dog’s house,” Donnelly said of the incident, which occurred on 8 September and was first reported by the Nogales International newspaper. “It just made a perfectly round hole through our carport.”
      Living near the border, Donnelly said she assumed the object contained drugs. She immediately called her husband, Bill, who told her to call 911. The couple said officers who responded told them an ultralight aircraft smuggling marijuana from Mexico had probably let part of its load go early by accident before dropping the rest farther north, the newspaper reported.
      Nogales police chief Derek Arnson said it was the first time in his three-year tenure that he had seen a load of drugs hit a building.
      “Someone definitely made a mistake, and who knows what the outcome of that mistake might be for them,” Arnson said.
      Maya Donnelly said she thought it unlikely someone would come looking for the drugs, which are now in police custody. Arnson agreed but said police had boosted patrols in the neighbourhood.
      The family will have to pay the estimated $500 in repairs, as well as pay for a new home for their German Shepherd, Hulk. But the scenario could have been much worse for the couple and their three teenage daughters.
      “Where it landed was clear on the other side of the house from the bedrooms,” Maya Donnelly said. “We were lucky in that sense.”
      Friends and family also have gotten a laugh. Several joked that the couple could have profited from the surprise package.
      “That’s what everybody says: ‘Why did you call 911?”’ Maya Donnelly said. “But how can you have a clear conscience, right? We could have made lots of home repairs with that.”

apparently this a is a pretty common occurance

nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Pla…-to-Mexico-233528591.html

deseretnews.com/article/392575…DROP-FROM-SKY.html?pg=all
      I only read as far as the headline and it's already made my morning.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

that sucks. probably yellow jackets-actually a wasp.
      I discovered why my dog wont go into the pen lately, yellow jackets had a nest under his house, I moved the house over and used wasp spray and gas but there are still a few that keep coming back, I had to make a sport of it and used a fly swatter to kill them until they got the best of me and sent me running across the yard (which my wife enjoyed watching)...only got stung twice, guess I should know better....I may grow up some day....but not yet.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

that sucks. probably yellow jackets-actually a wasp.
      I discovered why my dog wont go into the pen lately, yellow jackets had a nest under his house, I moved the house over and used wasp spray and gas but there are still a few that keep coming back, I had to make a sport of it and used a fly swatter to kill them until they got the best of me and sent me running across the yard (which my wife enjoyed watching)...only got stung twice, guess I should know better....I may grow up some day....but not yet.
      give these a whirl

.22 shot shell will make quick work and very forgiving, idiot proof even. Works better having a semi auto...just encase. :D
      [IMG:https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OIP.M66d4f156cb87a413ccca3870e1f1f928H0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0]
    • wait until dark and then all of the bees will have returned to the nest. Use your hiking light red mode as yellow jackets can't see red. Pour a cup of gas in their hole and cover with a board or brick. Do not light the gas. the board will make the fumes back up the tunnel to the nest. The fumes will kill them overnight.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • JimBlue wrote:

Astro wrote:

Please note the Killer African are supposed to be in the USA by now. :(
      They've been here for over 15 years.
      I'm just waiting for when Asian Hornets get accidently brought over in a shipping container. X( That will signal that it's time for me to move to the artic circle.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.