Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

And In Other News

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

The local paper is counting down the top 10 local stories for the year.

Today is number 2: The Pandemic

Number 2?! What is the world in number 1 gonna be?

Top 10 local stories of 2020: No. 1 - Cobb's generosity

Acts of kindness the community did during the pandemic to help others, from volunteering time, donating money, sewing masks, delivering food -- too many to list but you get the idea.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

If you thought the 2000 election was interesting you ain't seen nothing yet...Trump ain't leaving until the tanks come rolling down Pennsylvania Ave. And there's gonna be blood in the streets until that happens.
      The above is from August 7 -- nothing that is happening today -- or anything that has happened since the election -- should surprise anyone.

Our government is under attack by Trump and his minions.
      2,000 miler
    • When Trump first came onto the political stage I didn't like him, but it wasn't long before I realized that this guy is emotionally unhinged. I knew he was capable of this behavior of incitement. He is very dangerous when he doesn't get what he wants. I can't believe he was voted into office in the first place. At least now, he's destroyed his path to a presidential run in 2024.

The GOP use to say that character matters in deciding on a candidate for the presidency. They threw that out the window with the nomination of Trump.
    • max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

If you thought the 2000 election was interesting you ain't seen nothing yet...Trump ain't leaving until the tanks come rolling down Pennsylvania Ave. And there's gonna be blood in the streets until that happens.
      The above is from August 7 -- nothing that is happening today -- or anything that has happened since the election -- should surprise anyone.
      Our government is under attack by Trump and his minions.
      Thank you to all the sane Georgians who voted to remove the impediment to bringing bills passed by the House to the Senate floor and enabled the orange menace (aka Moscow Mitch).
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I'd really like to keep politics out of the Cafe. I know it's tough in these times. I'd like everyone to be able to remain friends here for our common bond of liking to hike. Politics and religion tend to polarize people.
      Discussing P&R is a good test on one's relationship(s). It kind of reminds me of all the "friends" I saw thru-hiking together...I can't tell you of how many life-long "friendships" were destroyed on the AT; including those that had plans of marriage :thumbsup:
    • roadrunner wrote:

Discussing P&R is a good test on one's relationship(s). It kind of reminds me of all the "friends" I saw thru-hiking together...I can't tell you of how many life-long "friendships" were destroyed on the AT; including those that had plans of marriage :thumbsup:
      I remember 2 20 something females who had been best friends their entire lives who made it to Kent, CT when they had had enough and split up. It was really kinda sad watching them stand in front of all the other hikers at the shopping center as they decided how to split up their common gear.

And then again there was the married couple that made it N. Woodstock and the wife decided she was tired of hiking and was going to go home while the husband was going to go ahead and finish. He hiked 1 day out of town, spent the night, and decided he didn't want to finish without his wife so he hiked back to town the next day. They took a few years off and eventually finished.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• A 12 year is going to attend Ga Tech in the fall. He's either really smart or Ga Tech isn't all it's cracked up to be. :)

Actually...he started reading at 11 months and went to 1st grade at age 2. Right now he's finishing up his soph year at a technical college and getting high school credits at the same time. He said his toughest year was when he started middle school becasue he was so much younger than everyone else so he wasn't accepted as a peer. Going to studey aerospace engineering and "send people to Mars".

mdjonline.com/news/marietta-12…acebook&utm_medium=social
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

A 12 year is going to attend Ga Tech in the fall. He's either really smart or Ga Tech isn't all it's cracked up to be. :)

Actually...he started reading at 11 months and went to 1st grade at age 2. Right now he's finishing up his soph year at a technical college and getting high school credits at the same time. He said his toughest year was when he started middle school becasue he was so much younger than everyone else so he wasn't accepted as a peer. Going to studey aerospace engineering and "send people to Mars".

mdjonline.com/news/marietta-12…acebook&utm_medium=social
      While not as extreme as that, we considered letting one of our sons start college full time when he should have been starting high school. Decided due to social aspects it was better to wait and just dual enroll. Obtained full ride (nice for us $$$) but still got pretty bored near the end (despite taking all kinds of extra classes for the fun of it such as as Chinese, Linguistics, Drawing, Philosophy to go along with his Computer Science major and International Business and Project Management minors). Youngest son is on schedule to graduate in 2.5 years next December while also having almost half of his Masters completed (and also being married and owning a house).

Different subject, but going from having four teenagers to an empty nest over the past seven years has been an interesting transition. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • My dad was an English major. I can barely spelt. My mom became a school nurse, my dads post-USAF career was English/Journalism teacher. My sister was a teacher....All have masters degrees (dad has 2). I graduated college with a bidness degree and became a computer geek, no higher degree. I must be the black-sheep. But wife and I did just fine. I got to retire at 58, she can if she wants to (she doesn't).

Now one of our daughters......23rd in a class of over 900. Honor College all thru college. She needed a science in college, so since she had Pre-AP Chemistry in high school, she signed up for Chem 2 in college. Everyone in the class was Biology, pre-med, chemestry, except this quiet Art Student.....She out scored them all on the first test! They dubbed her "The curve-buster". She is a very successful artist (she just changed jobs) with a great paying job (they seem to bid for her talent and then play golden handcuffs with her). Whoops, dad-bragging.....
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • max.patch wrote:

If you were planning on going to Tuscaloosa, Alabama you might want to change your plans.

I saw pictures yesterday of people lined up to get into bars at 1:00 pm yesterday -- 7 hours before the game started.

pbs.twimg.com/media/ErgjN1lXAAIQX1B?format=jpg&name=medium
      I don't think that qualifies under socially disctanced. :S
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General