Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

And In Other News

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• IMScotty wrote:

What will you be doing when you are 90?

facebook.com/globe/videos/10153677366603258

Hopefully, this.
      Google took me here:

bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/09/…G4LM1FFgJqwqTP/story.html

<snip>

He’s survived prostate cancer and heart surgery and MIT and most of the 20th century. He’s sailed solo across the Atlantic, arriving in Florida nearly out of supplies, with his ribs showing through his skin. During the Vietnam War, when he worked for a contractor, he was saved by a stranger on a country road who stopped him from riding his motorcycle straight into a Viet Cong ambush.

Little by little, those steps added up, and Dreselly reached the Lakes of the Clouds hut, not far below the summit of Mount Washington, feeling good. He dunked his head into one of the icy lakes, spent the night telling more stories of adventures in the mountains — he and his wife have hiked all over the world, including the entire Appalachian Trail, which they finished in 1999 — and then got to bed early to rest up for the toughest part of the climb.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

It has been nearly 40 years since I tooks Physics and Calculus, but now some are saying time travel is theoretically possible. I wonder where we can find a Delorean. ;)

www-foxnews-com.cdn.ampproject…cally-possible-study-says
      Let's hope that Marty does not use this to almost hook-up with his Mom again. That movie grossed me out :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

let's hope that city dwellers find camping so gross that they don't keep at it. If they do continue camping the character of the woods will change radically. I don't like cities to begin with so I don't want that brought into the outdoors...does that make any sense ?
      Many wealthy city dwellers have moved to rural areas to escape Covid. My prediction, soon they will be demanding paved sidewalks and more services and driving the taxes of their poor neighborhood ors through the roof.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

let's hope that city dwellers find camping so gross that they don't keep at it. If they do continue camping the character of the woods will change radically. I don't like cities to begin with so I don't want that brought into the outdoors...does that make any sense ?
      I've always lived on the suburbs but go into our local city (albeit a small one) all the time. I like the things cities have to offer. We have traveled to many of the world's great cities on vacation. But we always visit the countryside and go camping too. I guess it's the closest I will come to being bilingual. I know lots of people who never go downtown out of fear. I guess that's just as sad as a city dwellers who are afraid of the woods.
    • odd man out wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I've always lived on the suburbs but go into our local city (albeit a small one) all the has time. I like the things cities have to offer. We have traveled to many of the world's great cities on vacation. But we always visit the countryside and go camping too. I guess it's the closest I will come to being bilingual. I know lots of people who never go downtown out of fear. I guess that's just as sad as a city dwellers who are afraid of the woods.
      I used to not be afraid of going to cities at night, but that has unfortunately changed over the past few months.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

if only they would turn off the microphone of the person who isn't supposed to be talking...problem fixed
      Trump would have just shouted over a muted mic. They needed Steve Harvey running it. Put both of the contestants in a sound-proof booth, ask the question, unmute the mic for the one who is to be speaking. One change over Family Feud would be to allow both to hear what the other said.

Another thought, shock collars on both.

I saw Biden trying to take some notes as Trump spoke/rambled. He tried to address the points Trump brought up. But it was hard to do.

An interesting write up was about Biden's early life as a stutterer. Trumps team knows that and Trump went on the attack and the write up concluded that was strategy to rattle Biden as much as possible.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • LIhikers wrote:

I don't know anyone, left, right, or someplace in between, that has a high regard for politicians generally and the debate was a great example of why.
      I think has Carter evolved from a bad president to being generally considered a great, if not greatest, ex-president and that is reflected in his current popularity.

By the way...Happy 96th Birthday Jimmy!
      2,000 miler
    • One thing to remember, well actually several. Our founding fathers were genius's. The Constitution defines our three branches of government. We are not a "Democracy" as a form of government. But a constitutional republic. We use a democratic system to elect our representatives and entrust them to pass just laws. The founders did NOT want a "King", so the TRUE power is in the representative government.....CONGRESS. Both the Senate and the House hold the power. The President can script 10 "Executive Orders" a day and veto every law. Congress can over ride the veto. We have any number of Legal groups ready to file injunctions to stop the "Order" of the moment. Then the Courts figure it out, but based on the Rule of Law, not the whim of any one person or today's social rhetoric.

Carter is a decent man. He was not prepared for the snake pit that is national politics. There were tough times when he was president.
    • odd man out wrote:

...and in other news...
      Not my idea of fun
      seattletimes.com/nation-world/…lley-national-park/?amp=1
      Interesting that residents are now from finding that hot water comes out of their taps. So they turn off their hot water heaters and use them as insulated storage tanks to hold cold water. Then they turn on the cold taps to get hot water and the hot taps to get cold water.
      There are some countries (languages) where you appreciate the red and blue instead of letters so you don't get confused on which is which.
    • A2A Cross-Border Rail between Alaska & Canada permit issued. :thumbup:
      Connects contintential USA with Alaska thru Canada. That could be a really fun scenic train ride. Also there should NOT be a lot freight trains through Canada slowing you down (big problem with Amtrak today).
    • Astro wrote:

A2A Cross-Border Rail between Alaska & Canada permit issued. :thumbup:
      Connects contintential USA with Alaska thru Canada. That could be a really fun scenic train ride. Also there should NOT be a lot freight trains through Canada slowing you down (big problem with Amtrak today).
      Now if only Canada would allow Americans to come over the border once again...

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I visit WB infrequently, so I miss out on some of the news over there. Just found out that frequent WB poster 'Rain Man' (Raymond Myers) passed away in August. Took my by surprise, he seemed so strong as a hiker and in personality. RIP 'Rain Man'. Here is a copy & paste of a FB post from his family...

Dear friends of Raymond,

C. Raymond Myers, Jr. passed away on August 14, 2020. At his passing, he was with Jenny, his beloved wife of 45 years and trusted partner in all things, and his youngest daughter Patricia. He is also survived by his daughters Amy (Andy) and Sarah (Chris) and four doting grandchildren who adore their playful Grandpa. He is survived by his mother, Pat, and his wonderful bonus dad, Ron. His father, Charles, passed on earlier this year. From his dad, he learned to be handy and resourceful. From his mom, he learned to love fiercely, no matter our differences, and to be loyal and generous. He is the oldest of five siblings, who he loves very much and whom he loved pranking very much. He is survived by Elaine (Syd), Linda, and Paul and preceded by Phil.

Raymond loved being a parent. He was highly engaged with his daughters' education and activities. He served as president of the PTA and band boosters (a decade of Overton High School band members will remember his distinctive red hat) and led an effort before the school board to address inequity in girls' and boys' sports when his oldest daughter started running track. He provided anonymous scholarships for his daughters' classmates to participate in school activities. He encouraged (and funded) his children's travel and diverse interests. He never missed an opportunity to tell his daughters how much he loved them and how proud he was of them.

Raymond has an expansive sense of family that included 13 exchange students who he loves as his own children. He and Jenny also welcomed into their home a family who didn't have a home and several young people starting out in the world. He nurtured his daughters' love of furry family members, rescuing several cats and dogs, including his most recent dog, Boone, who he adopted immediately upon finding him abandoned in the woods.

Always one who loved nature, he and Jenny mapped caves as newlyweds, and, later, he took his children, exchange students, and Sunday School students on various camping trips. In recent years, he found his way into a wonderful community of hiking friends who knew him by his trail name Rain Man. He completed all of the AT and John Muir trail and organized many hikes and kayaking camping trips, a source of great joy.

Raymond was also engaged in his much-loved church family, serving his church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, in a number of capacities, including as First Reader (conducting the services) and chair of the board.

As an attorney, he cared deeply about his clients and was known to accept payment in firewood. He served as president of the Williamson County Bar Association and did significant pro bono work. He is a outspoken feminist and antiracist and actively supported liberation for marginalized communities.

He was raised in Powdersville, South Carolina and graduated from Wren High School. And, as everyone who knows Raymond is well aware, he was a proud Clemson alumnus. Go Tigers!

Raymond is generous and spirituality-minded, and he exemplifies integrity. He will be remembered as a loving father, husband, son, brother, neighbor, and friend.

We will announce details of a memorial service soon. In lieu of flowers, donations in his honor may be made to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (https://appalachiantrail.org/) or his church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Nashville, TN (https://christiansciencenashville.org/).

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Wow, Sorry to see about RainMan.

On the Moranis thing, another mentally ill person or a thug. Seeing photo's of Moranis, who left the public eye something like 20 years ago, was the unlucky person walking by. Some years ago, some of the teens and gangs were doing that "walk down the street and just sucker punch someone as hard as you can". This almost looked like that.
    • IMScotty wrote:

I visit WB infrequently, so I miss out on some of the news over there. Just found out that frequent WB poster 'Rain Man' (Raymond Myers) passed away in August. Took my by surprise, he seemed so strong as a hiker and in personality. RIP 'Rain Man'. Here is a copy & paste of a FB post from his family...

Dear friends of Raymond,

C. Raymond Myers, Jr. passed away on August 14, 2020. At his passing, he was with Jenny, his beloved wife of 45 years and trusted partner in all things, and his youngest daughter Patricia. He is also survived by his daughters Amy (Andy) and Sarah (Chris) and four doting grandchildren who adore their playful Grandpa. He is survived by his mother, Pat, and his wonderful bonus dad, Ron. His father, Charles, passed on earlier this year. From his dad, he learned to be handy and resourceful. From his mom, he learned to love fiercely, no matter our differences, and to be loyal and generous. He is the oldest of five siblings, who he loves very much and whom he loved pranking very much. He is survived by Elaine (Syd), Linda, and Paul and preceded by Phil.

Raymond loved being a parent. He was highly engaged with his daughters' education and activities. He served as president of the PTA and band boosters (a decade of Overton High School band members will remember his distinctive red hat) and led an effort before the school board to address inequity in girls' and boys' sports when his oldest daughter started running track. He provided anonymous scholarships for his daughters' classmates to participate in school activities. He encouraged (and funded) his children's travel and diverse interests. He never missed an opportunity to tell his daughters how much he loved them and how proud he was of them.

Raymond has an expansive sense of family that included 13 exchange students who he loves as his own children. He and Jenny also welcomed into their home a family who didn't have a home and several young people starting out in the world. He nurtured his daughters' love of furry family members, rescuing several cats and dogs, including his most recent dog, Boone, who he adopted immediately upon finding him abandoned in the woods.

Always one who loved nature, he and Jenny mapped caves as newlyweds, and, later, he took his children, exchange students, and Sunday School students on various camping trips. In recent years, he found his way into a wonderful community of hiking friends who knew him by his trail name Rain Man. He completed all of the AT and John Muir trail and organized many hikes and kayaking camping trips, a source of great joy.

Raymond was also engaged in his much-loved church family, serving his church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, in a number of capacities, including as First Reader (conducting the services) and chair of the board.

As an attorney, he cared deeply about his clients and was known to accept payment in firewood. He served as president of the Williamson County Bar Association and did significant pro bono work. He is a outspoken feminist and antiracist and actively supported liberation for marginalized communities.

He was raised in Powdersville, South Carolina and graduated from Wren High School. And, as everyone who knows Raymond is well aware, he was a proud Clemson alumnus. Go Tigers!

Raymond is generous and spirituality-minded, and he exemplifies integrity. He will be remembered as a loving father, husband, son, brother, neighbor, and friend.

We will announce details of a He told me of Rain Mans demise memorial service soon. In lieu of flowers, donations in his honor may be made to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (https://appalachiantrail.org/) or his church, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, Nashville, TN (https://christiansciencenashville.org/).
      Since lastt spring I have been Helping out with projects at Angel's Rest Hiker Haven. The manager finished her thru she started last year yesterday & her Boyfriend / assistant manager left last week to surprise her in the wilderness & sumit with her. So I have been helping out here since then. One hiker I shuttled a few days ago was part of Rainman's group of annual hikers. He told me of his demise & it shocked me. He was one of the good ones on Whiteblaze.