Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

And In Other News

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• you gotta be kidding...

The College Board, which oversees the SAT standardized exam used by most U.S. colleges during the admissions process, plans to introduce an “adversity score” for every student taking the test, The Wall Street Journal reports. The new number will be calculated based on 15 factors ranging from local poverty levels and crime rates to the student’s family background. The students will not be shown this score, but it will be included in the results sent by the SAT examiners to the schools a student applies to.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

you gotta be kidding...

The College Board, which oversees the SAT standardized exam used by most U.S. colleges during the admissions process, plans to introduce an “adversity score” for every student taking the test, The Wall Street Journal reports. The new number will be calculated based on 15 factors ranging from local poverty levels and crime rates to the student’s family background. The students will not be shown this score, but it will be included in the results sent by the SAT examiners to the schools a student applies to.
      oh hell yeah, poverty rate nearly 100%, crime rate off the charts and old man in prison. harvard here i come.
    • max.patch wrote:

trump to sweden: i will personally vouch for A$AP Rockey's bail.

sweden to trump: we don't have bail.
      Outstanding, I watched the video, Rockey did everything he could to avoid confrontation. The kid appears to be a Muslim young male with language issues, his friends did not help as he was repeatedly asked to walk away - instead he was a stalker. Don't mind me, I was just paying attention to the news.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • the president of brazil tells us how to save the environment:

Brasília (AFP) - Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro suggested Friday that people "poop every other day" as a way to save the environment, after he came under fire for a surge in deforestation of the Amazon since he came to power.
      2,000 miler
    • Jeffrey Epstein, the millionaire financier and accused sex trafficker, is dead by apparent suicide, according to three officials familiar with the matter.

The officials told NBC News that Epstein was found at 7:30 a.m. ET at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York, a federal jail in Manhattan, and that he apparently hanged himself.

gotta ask the obvious...erotic asphyxiation?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Jeffrey Epstein, the millionaire financier and accused sex trafficker, is dead by apparent suicide, according to three officials familiar with the matter.

The officials told NBC News that Epstein was found at 7:30 a.m. ET at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in New York, a federal jail in Manhattan, and that he apparently hanged himself.

It was reported that he was supposed to be checked on approximately every 3 hrs and that the last scheduled time was 5am. EMT was called at 6:30am to assist a prisoner in "distress". He was transferred to the hospital and pronounced at 7:30am.

I'm glad you said apparent because many people are finding this to be VERY suspicious.
    • Trillium wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Jeffrey Epstein, the millionaire financier and accused sex trafficker, is dead by apparent suicide, according to three officials familiar with the matter.

It was reported that he was supposed to be checked on approximately every 3 hrs and that the last scheduled time was 5am. EMT was called at 6:30am to assist a prisoner in "distress". He was transferred to the hospital and pronounced at 7:30am.
      I'm glad you said apparent because many people are finding this to be VERY suspicious.
      Considering the track record of the crowd he ran with that didn't want more publicity on this, I would take the over on foul play.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

When this guy was arrested my wife and I both said he'd never stand trial, someone on the Blacklist would kill him before he could rat on people in power, would be interesting to know who all he had dirt on.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

max.patch wrote:

When this guy was arrested my wife and I both said he'd never stand trial, someone on the Blacklist would kill him before he could rat on people in power, would be interesting to know who all he had dirt on.
      Yep, it's mighty fishy
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • i don't know what the solution to the homeless problem is, but i know it's not what los angeles is doing -- building 72 condo units that cost $700,000 each for the homeless.

note: this free housing costs MORE than the average home in los angeles -- median sales price of $680,000.

from usa today <snip>

LOS ANGELES – As this city tries to cope with thousands of people living on the streets, a few homeless and low-income senior citizens will be luckier than most next year.

They will receive keys to one of 72 new apartments,complete with a fitness center, in the heart of trendy Koreatown, built at a projected cost of $690,692 for each unit, according to the city controller's office. Two additional projects in the pre-approval phase are expected to top $700,000 per unit in total costs.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i don't know what the solution to the homeless problem is, but i know it's not what los angeles is doing -- building 72 condo units that cost $700,000 each for the homeless.

note: this free housing costs MORE than the average home in los angeles -- median sales price of $680,000.

from usa today <snip>

LOS ANGELES – As this city tries to cope with thousands of people living on the streets, a few homeless and low-income senior citizens will be luckier than most next year.

They will receive keys to one of 72 new apartments,complete with a fitness center, in the heart of trendy Koreatown, built at a projected cost of $690,692 for each unit, according to the city controller's office. Two additional projects in the pre-approval phase are expected to top $700,000 per unit in total costs.
      I always felt the best solution for most problems in life is having a steady job.
    • Astro wrote:

I always felt the best solution for most problems in life is having a steady job.
      Our local TV news did a series of stories on homelessness a year or so ago. Part of the story involved walking around town and interviewing homeless people to hear their stories. Then they would ask them what it would take to help them them get off the streets. It makes sense that good solutions to the homeless problem might come from asking the homeless.Unfortunately, a significant number of them said they didn't want to rescued. They were essentially homeless by choice. Granted, for many, a job opportunity would be the way out. Bur for many, the lack of a job was not the issue.
    • max.patch wrote:

i don't know what the solution to the homeless problem is, but i know it's not what los angeles is doing -- building 72 condo units that cost $700,000 each for the homeless.

from usa today <snip>

Whatever the government subsidizes increases.....always....look for more homelessness.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

A friend of mine came to a fork in the road, and it gave him the finger.

appalachiantrailcafe.net/index…afa152b390d5e34a8d8ee0356
      Get link no longer available error.
      curious - it's uploaded to the AT Cafe server. Try again.
      See the picture in second post, but link still broken in the first.