Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

And In Other News

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SarcasmTheElf wrote:

And in other news, this is what it looks like when police attempt to pull over a 707HP Dodge Hellcat who’s driver doesn’t want to cooperate:

That was interesting, especially since I worked in Houston for 18 years and familiar with the territory. I hope he gets the upper end of punishment. I must admit as a teenager I drove those type of speeds, but never around traffic where I might put innocent people at risk.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

And in other news, this is what it looks like when police attempt to pull over a 707HP Dodge Hellcat who’s driver doesn’t want to cooperate:

That was interesting, especially since I worked in Houston for 18 years and familiar with the territory. I hope he gets the upper end of punishment. I must admit as a teenager I drove those type of speeds, but never around tI didraffic where I might put innocent people at risk.
      i had a camero that would hit 150. I did it a few times. Lucky I didn't blow a tire or wreck or get caught. I was young and dumb. I keep it under a 100 now.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

That was interesting, especially since I worked in Houston for 18 years and familiar with the territory. I hope he gets the upper end of punishment. I must admit as a teenager I drove those type of speeds, but never around tI didraffic where I might put innocent people at risk.
      i had a camero that would hit 150. I did it a few times. Lucky I didn't blow a tire or wreck or get caught. I was young and dumb. I keep it under a 100 now.
      I had a 70 Camero and then a 73 Cutlass Supreme after that. Keep it under 80 now. Driving my wife's van in the NH and ME mountains this summer I didn't even go over the speed limit. Used to driving cars lower to the ground, and while it may just have been an illusion, it felt if it I went faster I might tip over.
    • when I married my 2nd ex-wife I had a new 1985 corvette. in my experience, most 20 something women liked corvettes, but not her (or so she said). said it was too noisy, too rough riding and it had a dreaded stick shift. my job carried me out of the country for months at a time, and she complained loudly when I asked her to drive the car at least once a month for her weekly family visit to Biloxi. when I returned home her 15 yo nephew couldn't wait to tell me about all the fun he had with aunt Kathie as she drove the corvette at over 100 mph on I-10 and drove round and round Shoney's Drive In one night so all his friends would see him in the black 'vette with the pretty girl. our marriage didn't last long, but the memory of that story sure did.
    • i just finished reading the sunday newspaper. granted, the atlanta journal-constitution leans waaay to the left, but i thot placing their reporting on the news of john mccain on page 3 was not where it needed to be.

the 4 front page articles were a story about the me too movement (sexual harassment), an event at stone mountain to end racism and hatred, the problems in the county school system, and an article about how the candidates in the governors race differ on criminal justice. at least 2 of those stories should have been moved off the front page.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i just finished reading the sunday newspaper. granted, the atlanta journal-constitution leans waaay to the left, but i thot placing their reporting on the news of john mccain on page 3 was not where it needed to be.

the 4 front page articles were a story about the me too movement (sexual harassment), an event at stone mountain to end racism and hatred, the problems in the county school system, and an article about how the candidates in the governors race differ on criminal justice. at least 2 of those stories should have been moved off the front page.
      I would agree. He served his country in the Navy and as a POW. After that spent a life time in "public service" and willing to think outside the box. Nearly was elected president, and probably would have been if he ran a more disciplined campaign and picked a better running mate. I didn't always agree with him, but definitely front page worthy.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

i just finished reading the sunday newspaper. granted, the atlanta journal-constitution leans waaay to the left, but i thot placing their reporting on the news of john mccain on page 3 was not where it needed to be.

I would agree. He served his country in the Navy and as a POW. After that spent a life time in "public service" and willing to think outside the box. Nearly was elected president, and probably would have been if he ran a more disciplined campaign and picked a better running mate. I didn't always agree with him, but definitely front page worthy.
      I don't think there's anyone who always agreed with him. He voted, and acted, his own conscientious, not the party line.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Saw these jams in the hardware store this morning. Picture is a little fuzzy.

Makes me wonder what Traffic Jam is made of. ?( But I am sure it is good. :)
      I wouldn't think of going to the hardware store for jam or a good loaf of bread to eat it with.Makes me wonder which aile in the grocery store you'd have to go to to look for lag bolts :D
      It's called "Pleasant's Hardware" and they advertise that they have "most anything" and they do.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Singapore Airlines has reclaimed the record for the longest passenger flight in the world - 18.5 hrs from Singapore to Newark. I'm not sure which is more unbelievable: The technology to build plane that weights almost 700,000 lbs fully loaded with 42,000 gal fuel and over 300 people (and who knows how many tons of luggage) and fly it non-stop over 9700 miles in under 19 hrs; OR the fact we can do all that but we can't seem to develop the technology needed to immediately unsubscribe from unwanted e-mail lists; OR that someone would actually want to fly from Singapore to Newark.

World's Longest Flight
      Why does it take so long to unsubscribe?
      US Murder Capitals
    • odd man out wrote:

Singapore Airlines has reclaimed the record for the longest passenger flight in the world - 18.5 hrs from Singapore to Newark. I'm not sure which is more unbelievable: The technology to build plane that weights almost 700,000 lbs fully loaded with 42,000 gal fuel and over 300 people (and who knows how many tons of luggage) and fly it non-stop over 9700 miles in under 19 hrs; OR the fact we can do all that but we can't seem to develop the technology needed to immediately unsubscribe from unwanted e-mail lists; OR that someone would actually want to fly from Singapore to Newark.

World's Longest Flight
      US Murder Capitals
      This hit our local news channel. But they NEVER said WHERE it took off from or WHERE it went. Just about the upscale part of it and what a grind it is to fly that long.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Singapore Airlines has reclaimed the record for the longest passenger flight in the world - 18.5 hrs from Singapore to Newark. I'm not sure which is more unbelievable: The technology to build plane that weights almost 700,000 lbs fully loaded with 42,000 gal fuel and over 300 people (and who knows how many tons of luggage) and fly it non-stop over 9700 miles in under 19 hrs; OR the fact we can do all that but we can't seem to develop the technology needed to immediately unsubscribe from unwanted e-mail lists; OR that someone would actually want to fly from Singapore to Newark.

World's Longest Flight
      US Murder Capitals
      This hit our local news channel. But they NEVER said WHERE it took off from or WHERE it went. Just about the upscale part of it and what a grind it is to fly that long.
      The plane they are using is a new Airbus A350. It has an unusual layout of 67 Business Class and 94 Premium Economy Class Seats (No first class, no regular economy). Perhaps they can't handle the weight of 300+ economy passengers. And yes, while Business Class will set you back over $5,000, If you pick the right days, you can fly PE for "only" $1500, which isn't too bad for 36 hrs of Premium Economy on the world's best airline.
    • Astro wrote:

I used to live in Singapore and loved it. Hard to imagine some leaving there and wanting to go to Newark. :S
      I take it back. EWR-SIN is the longest flight. SIN-EWR is 40 minutes faster due to a tail wind. I guess if you're flying to EWR, it just SEEMS longer. Lucky you getting to spend time in Singapore. I keep thinking that I will go trekking in Nepal someday and the trip could easily involve a long layover in Singaore (or Hong Kong, or Bangkok, or Istanbul, or Abu Dhabi...)
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

I used to live in Singapore and loved it. Hard to imagine some leaving there and wanting to go to Newark. :S
      I take it back. EWR-SIN is the longest flight. SIN-EWR is 40 minutes faster due to a tail wind. I guess if you're flying to EWR, it just SEEMS longer. Lucky you getting to spend time in Singapore. I keep thinking that I will go trekking in Nepal someday and the trip could easily involve a long layover in Singaore (or Hong Kong, or Bangkok, or Istanbul, or Abu Dhabi...)
      If I go back to Singapore, I'd consider the EWR - SIN option. I did Harrisburg - Chicago - Tokyo - Singapore and it pretty much sucked. Going from 3 to 2 flights is preferable, even if one of the flights is 19 hours. And premium economy is quite a step up from standard economy.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • rhjanes wrote:

odd man out wrote:

World's Longest Flight
      US Murder Capitals

max.patch wrote:

i'd take the love boat with julie, doc, gopher, issac, and captain stubing.
      you have to practice ordering drinks at the bar with cheesy hand gestures.
    • odd man out wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

odd man out wrote:

World's Longest Flight
      US Murder Capitals

max.patch wrote:

i'd take the love boat with julie, doc, gopher, issac, and captain stubing.
      you have to practice ordering drinks at the bar with cheesy hand gestures.
      There used to be this biker bar that I hung out in when I was a "biker" and we would play with the waitress by calling her up from our table with our cell phones and saying "can we get some f*cking service over here?" Sometimes you'd have to duck your head after that.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • max.patch wrote:

finally...truth in advertising!
      Excellent. Both of my parents are from NE. As a kid growing up in MD, I spent many summer vacations visiting relatives on the farm in NE. What I have found is that most people's knowledge of NE doesn't extend beyond the 2 mile wide strip of land you can see from I80 as you drive hour after hour across the state. 99% of the state does not look like that. I recently learned something curious about NE. About 10 miles south of Mullen (pop 450), in the middle of the Sandhills is one of the world's best golf courses. As you can see in the satellite photo, in the 1600 square miles surrounding the course there is a road (and nothing else). Certainly one of the most unusual locations for one of the world's top private golf clubs.