Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

And In Other News

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SarcasmTheElf wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

One of my high school buddies and I could do the on demand thing.
      I hope you boys don't like to play with matches! :evil:
      Been there, done that. It works, but wouldn't claim that it's the smartest idea.
      Stephen King wrote a short story whereby a group of boys participated in this activity. I later read where he was inspired by his childhood antics.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • SandyofPA wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

One of my high school buddies and I could do the on demand thing.
      I hope you boys don't like to play with matches! :evil:

He did. Caught some buttock hair on fire and told me about it later. I'll just say he told it so well that I was rolling on the ground laughing. He mournfully informed me it wasn't that funny. So retold it back to him and he started laughing. I miss talking to him but he died on 2005.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • ScareBear wrote:

Drybones wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

There really can't be any argument that man-made pollutants can affect weather, can there? From the ozone depletion and hole(s) to greenhouse gas, it all seems perfectly reasonable, from a scientific standing. Its not likely 99.5 percent of all reputable scientists woke up one morning and decided to be completely wrong...well...probably not likely....

Take a look at what effect the eruption of Krakatoa in the middle of the ocean in the middle of nowhere had upon the weather in North America for the next two years...

The issue with this "temperature change" isn't the change, it's the rate of change. When you can talk about the dramatic change occurring within your own lifetime, not 1000's of years, then you have a problem. The Ice Age didn't happen in a single generation, neither did it end in one. Within your lifetime, you may see the oceans rise enough that major cities retreat from it's edge...it's that type of speed of change that scares the crap out of the scientists. And maybe should scare the crap out of everyone as well? Just sayin.....
      I don't discount the fact that every tank of gas or camp fire we make has "some" impact on the earth...every breath we take for that matter, what I see though is people blowing things out of proportion to benefit them....and ounce someone lies to you how do you believe them again. It's amazing how easy it is to be brain washed by a TV set.
      But, although you don't "discount" the fact that a tank of gas has "some" impact, do you know what that impact is? Let's just look at CO2, shall we?
      How much CO2 does a gallon of gasoline produce?

Twenty pounds.

How much CO2 does a human produce in 24 hours?

Two pounds.

So, when anyone starts a discussion on the topic by bringing up the fact that humans generate CO2, it is the worst red herring, ever.

If you drive enough to burn just two gallons of gas a day, you have generated FORTY TIMES MORE CO2 THAN YOU WOULD HAVE BY JUST LIVING. FORTY TIMES MORE.

And, we aren't even talking about particulate matter pollution, CO pollution, NOx pollution, hydrocarbon pollution and SO2 pollution. And, that's just in burning a gallon of gasoline. What pollution was caused in the discovery of the crude oil, the acquisition of the crude oil, the transportation of the crude oil, the refining of the crude oil, the transportation of the refined gasoline and the energy to store and dispense the refined gasoline? Now, riddle me about how many pollutants were generated by manufacturing the car that burned the gas that Mobil sold that Phillips refined that was shipped crude by BP that came from a Shell well that...

Yeah. So, what was this about how man isn't changing his atmospheric environment? Or at least accelerating its change like a chihuahua on crystal meth?

Oh, and brainwashing...let's see...who advertises on TV? Mobil. Phillips. BP. Toyota. Now, without advertisers, what happens to TV? So...remind me again how TV has a vested interest in cutting the cajones off its advertisers in order to brainwash it's watchers? How does that work? TV brainwashes people into believing in fake global warming so they can harm their revenue stream? Wait. What?

Worst. Conspiracy. Theory. Ever.

If TV had an interest in brainwashing you, it damn sure would brainwash you into believing climate change WAS A HOAX....

SMH...

ScareBear wrote:

Drybones wrote:

My dog is destroying the atmosphere...at least the part I breathe.....you don't know methane till you meet Ruger.
      So when naming a dog, I will avoid "Thor" next time. The current "Thor" really is all about the thunder...just sayin....thunder and methane...last night was so bad I wondered if he ate a rotting skunk carcass....or a head of cabbage dipped in sriracha....
      First - my apologies for dredging this back up to the top - suddenly as I read cabbage dipped in s... well the first thing that pooped into my head was I am so glad the poor dog wasn't named for fat shaming "Jennie Craig" ... just saying If ya don't find that funny... well I did. Yesterday I heard about a cat up for adoption, named....

[IMG:https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/4e/17/88/4e1788791490fce3267aa450985bc897.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wise Old Owl ().

• It's not that the amount of CO2 produced by a human is insignificant. It is irrelevant. The CO2 I exhale was taken out of the air by a plant last year. That is carbon neutral and sustainable. The CO2 exhaled by burning fossil fuels was taken out of the air by a plant 100 million years ago. In the last 200 years we have released into the atmosphere the amount of CO2 it took plants hundreds of millions of years to sequester. If I were spending money a millions times faster than I earned it and then claimed I was being fiscally responsible, I would be as foolish as someone who wanted to build the world's economy on fossil fuels.
    • odd man out wrote:

It's not that the amount of CO2 produced by a human is insignificant. It is irrelevant. The CO2 I exhale was taken out of the air by a plant last year. That is carbon neutral and sustainable. The CO2 exhaled by burning fossil fuels was taken out of the air by a plant 100 million years ago. In the last 200 years we have released into the atmosphere the amount of CO2 it took plants hundreds of millions of years to sequester. If I were spending money a millions times faster than I earned it and then claimed I was being fiscally responsible, I would be as foolish as someone who wanted to build the world's economy on fossil fuels.
      No, you'd be the U.S. federal government.
    • odd man out wrote:

It's not that the amount of CO2 produced by a human is insignificant. It is irrelevant. The CO2 I exhale was taken out of the air by a plant last year. That is carbon neutral and sustainable. The CO2 exhaled by burning fossil fuels was taken out of the air by a plant 100 million years ago. In the last 200 years we have released into the atmosphere the amount of CO2 it took plants hundreds of millions of years to sequester. If I were spending money a millions times faster than I earned it and then claimed I was being fiscally responsible, I would be as foolish as someone who wanted to build the world's economy on fossil fuels.
      it's unfortunate, if this comforts you - remember when we were in high school or early middle school we were taught about how fossil fuels or gasoline would disappear or go unavailable in late 1990's or early 2000? Yea they got that wrong too. Fracking Technology has found new gas and oil reserves and it scares the hell out of the Saudi's - their enormous powerful cartel is no more. Yes we can drill ourselves out of a hole. - I have more to say - some other time.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • There are a multitude of factors as to why we didn't run out of oil. Besides new oilfield discoveries, the most important factor has been mandated MPG increases. You can also throw in the 2 or 3 times more efficient turbine fans for jets. The number of homes using fuel oil is dropping rapidly towards zero from being the norm in the 30's and 40's. Almost no oil-burning power plants left.

We are at independence from foreign oil. It's just that at the moment, foreign is cheaper. But, we can produce all we need.

With changes in technology occurring at exponential levels, it seems highly unlikely that we will ever deplete the Earth of fossil fuels.
    • NoAngel wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I sometimes break wind when I stand up but rarely when I sit down.
      Way TMI.
      As long as it's only gaseous that is fine. It's particles along with the gas that can be a problem.
      I have a grandson who can fart at will. One night after a chili dinner we had a farting contest. No contest, he won. Mrs jj said something like we were sick.
      Would you like to tell us who taught him that trick?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I sometimes break wind when I stand up but rarely when I sit down.
      Way TMI.
      As long as it's only gaseous that is fine. It's particles along with the gas that can be a problem.
      I have a grandson who can fart at will. One night after a chili dinner we had a farting contest. No contest, he won. Mrs jj said something like we were sick.
      Would you like to tell us who taught him that trick?
      The little fart was learned that trick all by himself- is that home schooled?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

odd man out wrote:

First there was Glamping. Now there is Champing.

atlasobscura.com/articles/in-e…com&utm_medium=atlas-page
      Look at it as staying at a hostel with tourists
      Unfortunately one of my first thoughts was that sounds really neat, I just hope some jerks don't ruin it for everyone else, like hostels on the AT.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Thinking back there was only two other times that I remember when the TV got interrupted with a emergency broadcast, once was in '93 during the gulf invasion into Kuwait, and right after 911, well, I was at work for that one but the wife was home with the youngin's.
    • meat wrote:

and in other news

The President signs a bill allowing Veterans to pick the doctor of "Their" choice.

On a personal note my Father was bounced around the VA until his cancer spread to stage 4, god damn shame!
      The governments inability to manage veterans health care makes me wonder why so many people want the government involved with their health care.
    • LIhikers wrote:

meat wrote:

and in other news

The President signs a bill allowing Veterans to pick the doctor of "Their" choice.

On a personal note my Father was bounced around the VA until his cancer spread to stage 4, god damn shame!
      The governments inability to manage veterans health care makes me wonder why so many people want the government involved with their health care.
      excellent point!
    • LIhikers wrote:

meat wrote:

and in other news

Sorry for the bad attitude, but, every thing the gov't touches turns to shyt...you have to realize decisions are not made for the benefit of the people but rather for the benefit of the politician...if those a$$holes were on Obamacare or VA the problem would be fixed post haste.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.