Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hike 2017Jan - Michaux State Forest PA via Appalachian Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I went with a zero degree bag, on a Therm-A-Rest pad, which was on top of a 5x7 reflective tarp as the first barrier on the ground. The shelter was inside of a 10x10 tarp with a pyramid style configuration.

My bag slid off of the pad, and from under the tarp, because I was on a subtle slope. I woke up shivering very early in the morning, while it was still dark. I was briefly staring at the stars, thinking to myself "where did my tarp go?" A mild form of hypothermia was evident, so I started a campfire to heat water for a hot drink, ate a chocolate bar, then did a few jumping jacks. Once I was warm again, I returned to my bag making sure that I was not going to slide out again. Lessons learned

P.s., we're going back to the site again this October 13, 14, and 15 during Fall Foliage.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Half Tread ().

• Half Tread wrote:

I went with a zero degree bag, on a Therm-A-Rest pad, which was on top of a 5x7 reflective tarp as the first barrier on the ground. The shelter was inside of a 10x10 tarp with a pyramid style configuration.

My bag slid off of the pad, and from under the tarp, because I was on a subtle slope. I woke up shivering very early in the morning, while it was still dark. I was briefly staring at the stars, thinking to myself "where did my tarp go?" A mild form of hypothermia was evident, so I started a campfire to heat water for a hot drink, ate a chocolate bar, then did a few jumping jacks. Once I was warm again, I returned to my bag making sure that I was not going to slide out again. Lessons learned

P.s., we're going back to the site again this October 13, 14, and 15 during Fall Foliage.
      funny.

Sounds like you did everything right.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Half Tread wrote:

I went with a zero degree bag, on a Therm-A-Rest pad, which was on top of a 5x7 reflective tarp as the first barrier on the ground. The shelter was inside of a 10x10 tarp with a pyramid style configuration.

Doesn't take much of a slope to ruin a nights sleep, I hiked well into the night once and decided to use my poncho as my shelter, would have worked fine had I not kept sliding out from under it into the rain, fortunately it wasn't training hard.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.