Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Alcohol Stoves

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

In fairness to the center burning stove option, I have run several more tests. I find as I raise the stove, the boil time goes down, but so does the burn time. At some point the boil time starts going back up and the burn time bottoms out around 4:15 seconds. I believe I am going dismiss the center burning stove as an option for me at this point. I get better efficiency with my side burners and don't need a pot stand and I am not done improving that design via hoop stove mod.

BB - you sure you're not an engineer?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Alcohol Stoves

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

In fairness to the center burning stove option, I have run several more tests. I find as I raise the stove, the boil time goes down, but so does the burn time. At some point the boil time starts going back up and the burn time bottoms out around 4:15 seconds. I believe I am going dismiss the center burning stove as an option for me at this point. I get better efficiency with my side burners and don't need a pot stand and I am not done improving that design via hoop stove mod.

BB - you sure you're not an engineer?

Are you lobbying for another TrainWreck.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrainWreck wrote:

I heard that!

Got my BB stove in the mail. Hoping to try it out this weekend if I get to go canoeing Saturday. We always stop to have lunch somewhere nice. Supposed to be 65 degrees and sunny 49.gif

You really should do 2 things: 1) test it at home at least once. 2) have a windscreen of some type. Good luck. By the way: Your stove is already obsolete. I have improved on it. :evil:
    • Re:Re: Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

I heard that!

Got my BB stove in the mail. Hoping to try it out this weekend if I get to go canoeing Saturday. We always stop to have lunch somewhere nice. Supposed to be 65 degrees and sunny 49.gif

You really should do 2 things: 1) test it at home at least once. 2) have a windscreen of some type. Good luck. By the way: Your stove is already obsolete. I have improved on it. :evil:

Mine works better then the stove that came with my Caldera cone.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

I heard that!

You sent me an obsolete stove? I demand a discount! :lol:
    • Alcohol Stoves

I am very close to perfecting my latest version. When I have done so I plan to make several out of the special edition Mountain Dew cans. I will post the final products when they are done and have another mass mailing. And as always I offer a triple your money back guarantee that these stoves will improve your weenie status.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

I heard that!

I love obsolete...it means it's collectible.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

I heard that!

BB - have you got any diy directions for a windscreen that a simpleton can put together?
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Alcohol Stoves

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

I heard that!

BB - have you got any diy directions for a windscreen that a simpleton can put together?

I prefer aluminum roofing flashing that comes in a roll. Get the uncoated type. You will have to do some math to get right length. After you have length, cut height so it will fit in pot rolled. If you really get fancy you can make two piece caldera cone
    • Alcohol Stoves

Here is my dilemma: I can boil 2 cups of 70° water in under 4 minutes with 15 ml of SLX using the side burner design that I am trying to perfect, but I cannot seem to transfer that technology to the aluminum Budweiser bottles. Another issue is that it will not prime on its own outside a cone. It primes with a woof inside the cone in about 8 seconds. The only can that I can seem to make work with this design is a 7.5 ounce soda can. The stove only weighs 10 grams. I am leery of sharing this design via shipment because of the priming issues. I am willing to share my specs with anyone willing to tinker. The Mountain Dew design might not happen. 2.gif
    • Alcohol Stoves

For those that have received one of my stoves, I have a confession: On the inside under the collet are printed the words: "Anyone receiving one of my stoves is required to be patient and forgiving of my varying absurd and often ill advised posts. Lighting of this stove affirms that you agree to these terms." Just thought I would share that Rasty.

On a related note, I can attest to the fact that smartasses say dumb things, but dumbasses do not say smart things; in which I take great comfort in being of the former group.
    • Alcohol Stoves

TJ: That will work. Aluminum roofing flashing would last years though. Another option is those crumple sided baking tins. The small bottle is likely alcohol with food coloring in it. A 12.5 ounce plastic whiskey bottle is a durable alternative for long walks. I took the top off a sports water bottle for mine. They are the same thread.

BirdBrain wrote:

For those that have received one of my stoves, I have a confession: On the inside under the collet are printed the words: "Anyone receiving one of my stoves is required to be patient and forgiving of my varying absurd and often ill advised posts. Lighting of this stove affirms that you agree to these terms." Just thought I would share that Rasty.

I've been looking at my stove for the last two hours and I can't find the advisory notice you speak of.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I've been looking at my stove for the last two hours and I can't find the advisory notice you speak of.

It is only visible prior to assembly. The inner wall protects the waver from heat damage.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TJ: That will work. Aluminum roofing flashing would last years though. Another option is those crumple sided baking tins. The small bottle is likely alcohol with food coloring in it. A 12.5 ounce plastic whiskey bottle is a durable alternative for long walks. I took the top off a sports water bottle for mine. They are the same thread.

I don't understand the comment about the thread...why are you putting a different top on your bottle?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I don't understand the comment about the thread...why are you putting a different top on your bottle?

The cap that comes with the whiskey bottle is just a plain cap. The cap that comes with sports water bottles is a flip top or pop top that allows for better pouring. The threads are the same on both bottles so the caps will fit either one. I will post a picture later.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

Here is my dilemma: I can boil 2 cups of 70° water in under 4 minutes with 15 ml of SLX using the side burner design that I am trying to perfect, but I cannot seem to transfer that technology to the aluminum Budweiser bottles. Another issue is that it will not prime on its own outside a cone. It primes with a woof inside the cone in about 8 seconds. The only can that I can seem to make work with this design is a 7.5 ounce soda can. The stove only weighs 10 grams. I am leery of sharing this design via shipment because of the priming issues. I am willing to share my specs with anyone willing to tinker. The Mountain Dew design might not happen. 2.gif

I'm confussed.
      I believe you are saying you can't make the capilary hoop out of the bud can? Pic just compares the two cans- not the design?
      I used the Coor's light can's because the thinner wall and quick heat transfer, likely the problem with the bud can you describe if I understand correctly. I found many bud can designs required a primer cup.

Assuming the outer can is the only difference in design it is likely that it is acting as a heat sink and preventing or reducing vaporization. The fact that it works in the cone with the heat reflected back to warm the outer can seems to support that theory.

What about making the creased liner taller by about an inch. Trim between at the creases similar to the bottom of the piece and remove every other or every third tab and bend it back into to the center to allow the liner to heat faster and start the capilary draw so it primes. You could also try just a slight notch at the top and do a "tab a into slot b" type connection to test it out. If you get the heat transfer along the inner wall going it should overcome the outter wall issue.
    • Alcohol Stoves

JB, I need a thin wall can of the exact diameter of the Budweiser bottle. I can make one, but it is very tough to make inner collet out of thick aluminum Budweiser bottles. I am not going to be able to improve on the coke zero version's performance. I just have nice looking Mountain Dew bottles I would like to make available. I made a Budweiser version, but it is ugly with all the JB weld and it was a huge pain to make the collet.
    • Alcohol Stoves

I believe the blooming happens in the cone because vapors have nowhere to go. If I wave my hand or blow over stove out of cone, it blooms. This is not an issue for me because I always use a cone. If a shield is used with even an inch opening on one side, the vapors escape and the stove will not bloom. This tells me it is a vapor issue and not a heat issue. The hoop collet creates vapors, whereas the other design justs wicks fuel to the ports.

Now that I got all that out, I am going back to study your suggestions.
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Here's my cook kit with the new BirdBrain sideburner:

and all packed up

What's in the eye drop bottle and 2 baggies?

"Camp Soap" is in the eye dropper and the two little packages that look like baggies are esbit tabs in case I run out of HEET or need to a fire when everything is wet. The windscreen is made from aluminum roofing flashing and the ground shield is from the bottom of an aluminum pie pan.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Alcohol Stoves

Maybe my eyeball tape is broken but...
      Looks like the burner holes are lower due to the fiddling you had to do to get the bud collet to work.
      Which made the holes lower down the wall and unable to get up and over the lip to light? Had that issue before with the coors cone top.

Coke can collet is flat, this one curved a bit so more volume and less pressure coming out for the fuel to light (pure speculation)

For the inner wall- what about a slightly bigger thin wall can and over lapping one corrigation and sealing with JB weld to get just the right DIA inner.

Style points are important so I understand the desire to get the pretty cans to work but sometimes it don't.

My initial thought was-
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

The cap that comes with the whiskey bottle is just a plain cap. The cap that comes with sports water bottles is a flip top or pop top that allows for better pouring. The threads are the same on both bottles so the caps will fit either one. I will post a picture later.

I think you've mentioned that before and I forgot. The short Dasani bottle is a little less than 300 ml which would be perfect for 4-5 days.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Just Bill wrote:

Maybe my eyeball tape is broken but...
      Looks like the burner holes are lower due to the fiddling you had to do to get the bud collet to work.
      Which made the holes lower down the wall and unable to get up and over the lip to light? Had that issue before with the coors cone top.

Coke can collet is flat, this one curved a bit so more volume and less pressure coming out for the fuel to light (pure speculation)

For the inner wall- what about a slightly bigger thin wall can and over lapping one corrigation and sealing with JB weld to get just the right DIA inner.

Style points are important so I understand the desire to get the pretty cans to work but sometimes it don't.

My initial thought was-

I think the best thing to do is let go of the pretty can idea and be happy with what I have already created. I am pleased with the roll top version with a wick, the 8 gram version, and my coke zero side burners. I just have been having fun giving away stoves and was hoping to give away some Mountain Dew ones.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Bird Brain - I think Just Bill has the right idea with the jet holes being too far down from the rim. If you have looked under the top of a gas stove, you may have noticed the tubes running from the burner to the pilot light. Maybe build a short duct on the outside of the bottle running up from one of the jet holes to the rim? The end of the duct would have to be close to the hole to capture some vapor, but not prevent adjacent holes from igniting. I have never done this, so not sure what it would take.

Or just put a ring or cone around the jets to redirect them upward. Not sure if aluminum would survive the heat of the jets. If it incinerates, Titanium Goat might have some 0.005" titanium foil as a possible fix.

A difficult bloom may also be caused by holes that are too far apart.

An all-metal capillary wick does not need folds or bends to work. Please see http://donsmaps.com/stoves.html for other ideas. My metal wicks are old school, but I use eyelets not staples to secure them.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Alcohol Stoves

I have been collecting can measurements for a while. Here is my latest list. Hopefully this will be useful to fellow stove builders. I welcome additions and corrections. Prices, sources, and availability are subject to change. I generally shop in the greater Milwaukee area.

The following is a list of aluminum and steel containers and other items sorted and grouped by outside diameter or width. All diameters are outside, except mouth diameters, which are inside diameters. Measurements are approximate. The outside diameter of the side wall is omitted for some of the larger cans, but can be estimated by subtracting 1/16" from the outside diameter of the rim.

1/8" eyelets (L = 1/8", D = 1/8", 3/16" diameter rim) JoAnn

Gardner Bender 18-10 crimp sleeve (L = 3/8", D = 6 mm = 1/4", 5/16" diameter rim)

AAA battery (L = 1 3/4", D = 13/32")
      AA battery (L = 1 31/32", D = 17/32")

Sharpie Pro King Size (3 5/8" to shoulder, D = 21 mm = 13/16")
      Assured Keychain Pill Holder (1 9/16" tall without cap, D = 27/32") $1 Dollar Tree

0.5 oz. aluminum body spray can (3 7/8" tall, 3 5/16" to shoulder, D = 1")

1.2 oz. = 35 ml Travel size Axe deodorant can (2 3/4" tall, 2 3/8" to shoulder, D = 1 3/8" = 35 mm)
      2 oz. Gillete Shave Foam (3 13/16" tall, 3 1/2" to shoulder, D = 1 3/8" = 35 mm)
      2.25 oz. Pure Silk shave cream (3 13/16" tall, 3 3/8" to shoulder, D = 1 3/8" = 35 mm)

1.6 oz. Clean Freak (D = 1 1/2")
      2 oz. Frizz-Ease (3 15/16" tall, 3 3/8" to shoulder, D = 1 1/2")
      2.5 oz. Love's Baby Soft all over body spray (5 15/16" tall, 5 1/2" to shoulder, D = 1 1/2") $1.50 Big Lots

1 oz. Cherry Sours (stem: 1 1/8" tall, D = 1 11/16"; cap: 1 3/8" tall, D = 2 1/2") World Market

4.3 oz. got2b rockin' it (7 1/2" tall, 7 1/31" to shoulder, D = 1 3/4") $1 Dollar Tree

30 g. Ginger Zingers (2 11/16" tall, 11/32" x 1 15/16") World Market

4 oz. Adidas body spray (5" tall, 4 7/16" to shoulder, D = 1 15/16") $2.50 Big Lots

5.75 oz. April Bath & Shower hair mousse (7 9/16" tall, 6 5/8" to shoulder, D = 1 31/32" = 50 mm)
      1 oz. Hime wasabiko powdered horseradish (2 1/16" tall, D = 1 31/32", 2 1/32" diameter rim) Woodman's Market

6 oz. steel tomato paste can (3 5/16" tall, D = 2 1/16", 2 1/8" diameter rim)
      8 3/4" oz. Dyanasty Whole Baby Sweet Corn (5 3/16" tall, D = 2 1/16", 2 1/32" diameter rim, 2 1/8" diameter rim) Piggly Wiggly
      4 oz. Old Spice body spray (4 1/2" tall, 3 5/8" to shoulder, D = 2 1/16") $3 Big Lots
      ? 4 oz. Axe deodorant can (5.6" tall, D = 2.1")

5 oz. Pure Silk shave cream (5 1/2" tall, 4 11/16" to shoulder, D = 2 3/32")
      8.4 oz. Redbull can (D = 2 3/32") [Close fit over 5 oz. Pure Silk]
      5.5 oz. Kern's Nectar (3 3/4" tall, 3 3/8" to shoulder, C = 167 mm, D = 2 3/32", 2 1/16" diameter rim, 1 11/16" diameter bottom indentation)

8 oz. aluminum cheese can (6" tall, 5 9/16" to shoulder, C = 174 mm, D = 2 5/32" = 55 mm, 1 1/4" diameter rim, 1" diameter mouth) [May be stretched over rim of 6 oz. tomato paste]

7.5 oz. soda can (4 1/16" tall, 3 11/16" to shoulder, C = 182 mm, D = 2 9/32", 2 1/8" diameter rim, 1 23/32" diameter bottom indentation)

Bud Light aluminum bottle (C = 186 mm, D = 2 5/16")

3 oz. potted meat (1 7/16" tall, D = 2 13/32", 2 19/32" diameter rim)
      3 oz. Spam spread (1 17/32" tall, C = 193 mm, D = 2 13/32", 2 15/32" diameter rim)
      Vienna sausage (2 3/8" tall, D = 2 13/32", 2 19/32" diameter rim)

Sucrets (1" tall, 2 13/32" x 3 1/8")

2.6 oz. Sterno (1 15/16" tall, C = 195 mm, D = 2 7/16", 2 1/2" diameter rim)

5 oz. steel evaporated milk can (2 7/16" tall, D = 2 1/2", 2 9/16" diameter rim)
      ? Venom aluminum bottle (D = 2 1/2")
      ? 16 oz. Miller Lite aluminum bottle (D = 2 1/2")

? Caribou Coffee aluminum bottle

2.9 oz. tuna salad can (1 5/16" tall, D = 2 19/32", 2 21/32" diameter rim) [close fit inside 8, 12, 16 oz. soda can]
      4.25 oz Underwood roast beef spread (1 27/32" tall, D = 2 19/32", 2 21/32" diameter rim)
      4 oz. green chiles (1 15/16" tall, D = 2 19/32", 2 17/32" diameter rim, 2 21/32" diameter rim)
      4 oz. mushrooms (2 11/16" tall, D = 2 19/32", 2 21/32" diameter rim)
      3.25 oz. creme de Pirouline rolled wafers (5 7/8" tall with lid, D = 2 19/32" at seam, 2 21/32" diameter rim)

11 oz. Main St. Cafe (4 13/16" tall, 4 1/2" to shoulder, D = 2 5/8", 2 7/16" diameter rim, 2 11/16" diameter rim) Pick n Save
      8 oz. soda can (3 7/16" tall, 2 3/4" to shoulder, C = 209 mm, D = 2 5/8", 2 1/8" diameter rim, 1 23/32" diameter bottom indentation)
      12 oz. soda can (4 13/16" tall, 4 1/8" to shoulder, C = 209 mm, D = 2 5/8", 2 1/8" diameter rim, 1 23/32" diameter bottom indentation)
      16 oz. Snap Punch (6 3/16" tall, 5 1/2" to shoulder, C = 209 mm, D = 2 5/8", 2 1/8" diameter rim, 1 25/32" diameter bottom indentation)

23 oz. AriZona Grapeade (7 5/8" tall, 7" to shoulder, D = 2 7/8", 2 9/16" diameter rim, 2 3/32" diameter bottom indentation) Walgreens
      24 oz. Mountain Dew (7 9/16" tall, 6 7/8" to shoulder, D = 2 7/8", 2 11/32" diameter rim, 2 1/8" diameter bottom indentation) Walgreens
      24 oz. Rockstar Recovery (8 3/8" tall, 7" to shoulder, D = 2 7/8", 2 9/16" diameter rim, 2 3/32" diameter bottom indentation) $1.50 Big Lots
      7.6 oz. Nestle Media Crema can (2 5/8" tall, D = 2 7/8", 2 15/16" diameter rim)
      12 oz. Great Value evaporated milk (3 7/8" tall, D = 2 7/8", 2 13/16" diameter rim, 2 15/16" diameter rim)

Pringles bottom D = 2 31/32"

32 oz. Monster BFC (7 5/8" tall, 7" to shoulder, D = 3 5/16", 2 31/32" diameter rim, 2 3/8" diameter bottom indentation) $1.50 Big Lots

5 oz. Great Value tuna (1 5/16" tall, D = 3 5/16", 3 3/8" diameter rim) Walmart
      5 oz. Bristol Chunk Ham (1 5/16" tall, D = 3 5/16", 3 3/8" diameter rim)
      5 oz. Clover Valley Chicken Breast (1 1/2" tall, D = 3 5/16", 3 3/8" diameter rim)
      10 oz. Armour Vienna Bites (2 7/16" tall, 3 11/32" diameter bottom ridge, 3 3/8" diameter rim)
      20 oz. Great Value pineapple (4 1/2" tall, 3 3/8" diameter rim) Walmart
      13.5 oz. Benton's Best wafer rolls (7 1/8" tall with lid, 3 3/8" diameter rim) Aldi

0.5 oz. Bentley's Earl Grey Tea (1 3/8" tall, 3 5/8" square, 3 3/4" square lid) Big Lots

10 oz. Clover Valley chicken (1 13/16" tall, D = 3 15/16", 4" diameter rim)
      12.5 oz. Great Value chicken (2 3/16" tall, D = 3 15/16", 4" diameter rim)

Give a Gift by Seastone (5/8" tall, D = 4 1/8") JoAnn $3

23 oz. Armour Beef Stew (3 7/16" tall, 4 1/4" diameter rim)
      Chicago American peanut keg (7" tall, D = 4 1/4") $4 Big Lots
    • Alcohol Stoves

Wow SW, I am going to have to digest all that. I appreciate the input and have gleaned a couple things to try. It is hard to see exactly what I am doing from across the internet, so let me share my thoughts.

I try to keep variables to a minimum so as to eliminate possibilities and rabbit paths. Every side burner I create starts with these basic measurements: Stove height = 2.25", jet height = 5/8" from top, jet amount = 32, jet diameter = 3/64". From there I try to change only one thing at a time.

After many builds of the White Stove design, I found those numbers to be ideal. However, I did not like the priming time. This brought about the design that I 1st mailed out. It primes in about 18 seconds and has respectable burn numbers that I have already listed.

WOO words challenged me to work on a center burning stove. I do not like the out of control burn of most center burning stoves. After many builds, I starting mailing the capillary hoop stove. It too has good burn numbers.

Next I thought I would try to incorporate the hoop collet in a side burner. My 1st thought was to go right at my side burner design and just change the collet. This did not work for too many reasons to list.

Next, I went at it with a can that was as close to the diameter of the bud cans as I could find that was easier to work with (mini coke zero). After much tinkering, I have a design that can boil 2 cups of water at 70° with 15 ml slx in under 4 minutes. It blooms in about 8 seconds in a cone.

It has a couple minor issues that do not effect me or my style of cooking. I would like to make it more stable in blooming for safety of others that might use my stove. This brings me to the suggestions.

I do not believe it a heating condition caused by thickness of material. I have a "perfected" coke zero version and an ugly bud version. They bloom exactly the same way.

I do not believe it is an issue of jet height. All of my side burners have jets the 5/8" below rim.

I do not believe it is a matter of distance between jets. All of my side burners have 32 jets.

I believe it has something to do with fuel delivery. My successful bud can version uses a wick. The latest version uses a "capillary hoop". I believe the fuel is being delivered before it can reach a flash point temperature.

Having said all this, I have gleaned 2 things from my friend's observations: 1) JB's thought of adjusting the size of the collection point adjacent to the jets is worth looking at. 2) SW thought of a deflector/collector near the jets is intuitive. I need to look at both.

Please keep the thoughts coming. It is obvious from the input that both of you guys have been at this a lot longer than I have.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BB-
      You are playing with two designs that I never did- the capillary hoop and the bud bottles. But that said I think you will either figure it out and make your pretty can's work, or settle on the already perfect stove design and seek out some pretty can's to match it.

In that vein may I suggest one such pretty can you could likely work with-
      Images
      • bbcan.jpeg

50.18 kB, 800×600, viewed 338 times
      • bbcan2.jpeg

51.3 kB, 800×600, viewed 341 times
    • Alcohol Stoves

I built some pressurized side burning stoves with soda cans, and three with Bud Light bottles, but never came up with anything I really liked. You seem much closer to optimizing your design than I ever was. I pretty much gave up on pressurized side burning stoves, at least the kind with pin holes. Most of my stoves have had 1/8" holes and not much pressure. One exception is a stove with sixteen 1 mm holes in a 1 1/4" circle at the top, which worked quite well at -10F, and is the best stove I have made to date. It doubles as an alcohol candle, as seen in my avatar, but an additional piece is needed to make it work as a stove. I have been meaning to do more testing and optimization before publishing plans and test results.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Damn it you guys are making me want to tinker. I really like to go out to the man cave, turn on the tunes, get a drink and start making something .I may just shutter the sewing machine and wrenches for for a while. Hmmm I have been eyeing those Coors Light and Bud Light can bottles .................... :evil:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Alcohol Stoves

I tested my latest stove this afternoon. It draws inspiration from the supercat, but adds a steel combustion ring and a metal wick. The burner is 2 1/2" in diameter, 2 3/4" tall, weighs 20 grams, and supports a pot. I successfully boiled water twice today.

The first test used 30 ml of denatured alcohol. Two cups of 60F water boiled in 11 minutes. The total burn time was 16 minutes.

The second test used 20 ml of denatured alcohol. Two cups of 57F water boiled in 12 minutes. The total burn time was 13 minutes.

The air temperature was 29F. Wind was moderate. The sky was partly cloudy. A 23 oz. Armour Beef Stew can blocked wind and kept hot exhaust gases close to the pot, with three screws as legs, a large central hole in the bottom, and additional perforations in the bottom. A Halulite Minimalist pot with original lid held the water and a 13 gram stainless steel tablespoon.

The fuel efficiency is good enough to warrant further development, but the time to boil is disappointing.

I have three ideas for boiling water faster. First, start with fuel near body temperature. Second, increase wick size. Third, use a larger diameter combustion ring. Stay tuned for updates.
    • Alcohol Stoves

stoviewander wrote:

I tested my latest stove this afternoon. It draws inspiration from the supercat, but adds a steel combustion ring and a metal wick. The burner is 2 1/2" in diameter, 2 3/4" tall, weighs 20 grams, and supports a pot. I successfully boiled water twice today.

The first test used 30 ml of denatured alcohol. Two cups of 60F water boiled in 11 minutes. The total burn time was 16 minutes.

The second test used 20 ml of denatured alcohol. Two cups of 57F water boiled in 12 minutes. The total burn time was 13 minutes.

The air temperature was 29F. Wind was moderate. The sky was partly cloudy. A 23 oz. Armour Beef Stew can blocked wind and kept hot exhaust gases close to the pot, with three screws as legs, a large central hole in the bottom, and additional perforations in the bottom. A Halulite Minimalist pot with original lid held the water and a 13 gram stainless steel tablespoon.

The fuel efficiency is good enough to warrant further development, but the time to boil is disappointing.

I have three ideas for boiling water faster. First, start with fuel near body temperature. Second, increase wick size. Third, use a larger diameter combustion ring. Stay tuned for updates.

Any pictures? gif.014