Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Alcohol Stoves

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Alcohol Stoves

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

8 stoves are in the mail. All are scheduled to be delivered on Monday.
      and now for a much deserved rest. You are a true Tinkerer. Looking forward to watching the pretty blue flame. Might even put next to the wifes candle and show her how back packer roll.

Bet that stove could cook the hell outta some potpuri.

HeHe... You said "potpuri"... :silly:
      yeah but I was thinkin' hashbrowns.

You are seriously whacked out brother :silly: Lucky me :P
      comes from years and years of being a complete an utter k-nuckle head.
    • Alcohol Stoves

rocksNsocks wrote:

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

and now for a much deserved rest. You are a true Tinkerer. Looking forward to watching the pretty blue flame. Might even put next to the wifes candle and show her how back packer roll.

[IMG:http://rlv.zcache.com/flick_the_udder_magnet-rbc8c0ef054884b05a96006abbf60a162_x7js9_8byvr_324.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Alcohol Stoves

WiseOldOwl wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

[IMG:http://rlv.zcache.com/flick_the_udder_magnet-rbc8c0ef054884b05a96006abbf60a162_x7js9_8byvr_324.jpg]
      Now that's funny!
    • Alcohol Stoves

My last two 8 oz stoves came out so good that I am compelled to apologize to the ones who are receiving the batch in the mail. The material is so delicate. It took many tries before I figured out how to cut, manufacture, and assemble these things without putting dents in them. The area where the JB weld bead goes is so tiny. It was hard to figure out how to lay down a good bead. The ribs in the collet were hard to make uniformly. The opening size of the bowl is critical. It took a few tries to get that right. I have OCD. It is likely the cosmetic flaws will not bother you. It does not effect the performance of the stove.

Let me put it another way: WOO and ATM are getting better stoves than you got. :lol:

That is fine. The one I am going to make for me will even be better. Of course I will brag about it when it is done.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Stove set up;
      bottle of fuel, windscreen/cozy, and stove all stored in the grease pot
      I'd like to fit my cup and spoon in the pot but it's not working

I don't like the size of the pot, it's too big, but I'll suffer. The advantage of size is one boil will heat enough water for dinner and drink.

Can I use the stove on a wooden surface or will it burn?
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Alcohol Stoves

For my cook kit, I have a reproduction WW1/2 German Army Spork (folding spoon and fork). Very sturdy, made of aluminum, and well under an ounce. I especially like that it folds and fits into my 12cm Imusa pot with a lighter, alcohol stove, windscreen and small hot pad.

https://www.1944militaria.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RP-FRKSPN
      http://www.atthefrontshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=gpispork
      Of course I talk to myself... sometimes I need expert advice.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Tuckahoe wrote:

For my cook kit, I have a reproduction WW1/2 German Army Spork (folding sppon and fork). Very sturdy, made of aluminum, and well under an ounce. I especially like that it folds and fits into my 12cm Imusa pot with a lighter, alcohol stove, windscreen and small hot pad.

https://www.1944militaria.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RP-FRKSPN
      http://www.atthefrontshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=gpispork

Doh...I have a folding one too :oops:

TY
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrafficJam wrote:

Stove set up;

I don't like the size of the pot, it's too big, but I'll suffer. The advantage of size is one boil will heat enough water for dinner and drink.

I use this cup:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Polypropylene-Cup-2-Pack/23428077

It fits in grease pot. Put stove in cup.

I use a bottom of an aluminum baking tin crumpled up on the sides to make a small heat shield for the stove. Cut a circle out of the bottom of the tin about 1/2" larger radius than the stove. Place the stove centered on the circle and crumple upward to form shield. I use the shield to protect surface and insulate stove. It fits between the stove and the cup.

You should also buy a pot gripper. I have an MSR one that I cut down to fit in grease pot.
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrafficJam wrote:

Stove set up;

It might. I put my stove on a round piece of an aluminum baking pan. But just a piece of plan aluminum foil will work just as well. Use the bottom of your pot as a pattern and then cut it a little smaller so that it will inside your pot. I use one of those microwavable cups of soup with the plastic lid for my cup. Everything except the fuel bottle fits in my titan kettle.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Stove set up;

I use this cup:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Polypropylene-Cup-2-Pack/23428077

It fits in grease pot. Put stove in cup.

I use a bottom of an aluminum baking tin crumpled up on the sides to make a small heat shield for the stove. Cut a circle out of the bottom of the tin about 1/2" larger radius than the stove. Place the stove centered on the circle and crumple upward to form shield. I use the shield to protect surface and insulate stove. It fits between the stove and the cup.

You should also buy a pot gripper. I have an MSR one that I cut down to fit in grease pot.

You guys are ruining my KISS philosophy.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

What's the slim clear plastic thing for? Measuring fuel?

Yes. However, I am rethinking that item. A small dent or scar on the inside of the stove would work as good. A 20 ml mark and a 30 ml mark would work for me as I boil 2 cups in the morning and 3 at night.

I have measuring marks scratched on the inside of my cup and I marked my fuel bottle at 1oz intervals with a marker. I'll venture out through the snow to the garage and take picture of my set up in a little bit.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

My spoon is a homemade basswood one that goes on the back of my pack in the sleeve with my cozy, chair, maps, journal, pencil, and compass. It is a very long spoon to reach the bottom of freezer bags, weighs less than a titanium one, and is a lot cheaper.

You just reminded me, I ordered my compass a long time ago and it's not here :angry: and a Boy Scout book, WTH
    • Alcohol Stoves

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

What's the slim clear plastic thing for? Measuring fuel?

Yes. However, I am rethinking that item. A small dent or scar on the inside of the stove would work as good. A 20 ml mark and a 30 ml mark would work for me as I boil 2 cups in the morning and 3 at night.

I have measuring marks scratched on the inside of my cup and I marked my fuel bottle at 1oz intervals with a marker. I'll venture out through the snow to the garage and take picture of my set up in a little bit.

My measuring marks for water are boiled into the grease pot. Look at the picture. It is easy to see where 2 cups and 3 cups are. Do 4 measured boils at home of each amount to get initial marks set. Pretty easy to straight face the amount from then on. My cup has measuring marks printed on the inside. I check the boil lines periodically on the trail using my cup as a standard..
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Alcohol Stoves

CoachLou wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Mine just arrived
      [IMG:http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/05/e6equ4en.jpg]
      Thank you BB

Oreos and thin mints :blink: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: ' I'll be right down, I'll bring you a bottle of HEAT. :)

The breakfast of Champions
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

Test results are in on new capillary hoop side burning stove with 20 ml of Heet and 2 cups of water at 70° with cone:

prime at 0:08
      boil at 4:20
      out at 5:20

Test results using same parameters for the stoves I mailed are as follows:

prime at 0:18
      boil at 4:42
      out at 5:21

New stove weighs 11 grams. Old stove weighs 31 grams.

I have no way of testing my 8 gram stoves (other than free burn). I have no pot stand. They prime in 3 seconds, but flame pattern is not as well defined as it should be. However, I know the solution. I need to make the bowl opening smaller. All in all, I am encouraged with the results.

Follow up on this last post: I have tested the 8 gram version and find the following with 20 ml of Heet and 2 cups of water at 70° with cone:

prime at 0:05
      boil at 4:05
      out at 4:45

These results make me want to develop the capillary hoop side burning version more, because the numbers suggest it has the greatest efficiency of the 3 designs.

BB-
      Not sure if it would get too hot but you may consider the inside burner with taller sidewalls to serve as windscreen/potstand. Build the stove as it currently sits but run the upper sidewalls up, roll the top, and punch a row of hole punch sized holes for ventilation and to let a little flame spillout. You may need a lower row for air intake but it may make a very efficient stove.
      Basically add the top of the elevated Cat stove design I posted before with the inside burner capilary stove you have. Could be a flop or the greatest alchy stove ever. (or at least a fun experiment)

I could be wrong but if you built it right it could also eliminate the JB weld needed if you put a double layer on top to pin the burner cap down. This would also stiffen the walls of the pot stand portion since you need to punch holes in them.

BirdBrain wrote:

You could be on to something JB. However, this is where my eefforts will be in the short term. I am hoping my tinkering would challenge others to try.

Probably wont be me BB. Only thing I do with aluminum is make custom arrows. I think you got the market on stoves.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrainWreck wrote:

Not yet!
      By the way, do you have brothers?
      We now have a BirdBrain, Birdman, and StovieWonder all on the member roster.

That would be Wander, not Wonder. I am a stovie, and I have wandered some 1700 miles. I have yet to achieve "Wonder" status, but I keep trying.

I am building and testing variations of the super cat stove. I am trying to minimize thermal feedback by separating the combustion area from the fuel reservoir. The fuel reservoir is your typical 3 oz. aluminum cat food, potted meat, or Spam spread container. Combustion takes place in a steel can of similar dimensions with holes in the side. A capillary wick built from aluminum sheet carries fuel between the two cans. If I get reasonable speed and fuel efficiency, I will post more details.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Alcohol Stoves

stoviewander wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

Not yet!
      By the way, do you have brothers?
      We now have a BirdBrain, Birdman, and StovieWonder all on the member roster.

That would be Wander, not Wonder. I am a stovie, and I have wandered some 1700 miles. I have yet to achieve "Wonder" status, but I keep trying.

I am building and testing variations of the super cat stove. I am trying to minimize thermal feedback by separating the combustion area from the fuel reservoir. The fuel reservoir is your typical 3 oz. aluminum cat food, potted meat, or Spam spread container. Combustion takes place in a steel can of similar dimensions with holes in the side. A capillary wick built from aluminum sheet carries fuel between the two cans. If I get reasonable speed and fuel efficiency, I will post more details.

Woohoo. Finally I don't have to listen to myself talk about building stoves. I can't wait. Take over buddy. I am all ears. 49.gif
    • Alcohol Stoves

In fairness to the center burning stove option, I have run several more tests. I find as I raise the stove, the boil time goes down, but so does the burn time. At some point the boil time starts going back up and the burn time bottoms out around 4:15 seconds. I believe I am going dismiss the center burning stove as an option for me at this point. I get better efficiency with my side burners and don't need a pot stand and I am not done improving that design via hoop stove mod.