Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Alcohol Stoves

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Re: Alcohol Stoves

OzJacko wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Okay... let's see if have this straight:

Roll top Budweiser stoves to OZ, TW, and Toli.
      8 gram stoves to IM, RS, Toli, Rasty, and ???

Am I forgetting anyone? I do that.
      Anyone else want one or the other? JJ? ATM? etc?

Sounds bloody good to me!
      gif.004

I see where they are selling the 8 gram stove that I am building (with case, sack, and stand) for $55 on eBay. I am doing it all wrong again. HB has trained me well.

I for one will be a salesman for you, but we will have to await further trips across the globe by willing couriers.
      I hope to go to the states again next year.
      I'll try and get a bundle of paying customers lined up for you....

Not interested in selling any. I would rather give a few away to some friends. I will get bored of this soon and be on to something else. Thank you much anyways.

No worries.
      I look forward with interest to what your very individual mind next comes up with.
      I'm considering a thread along the lines of "Musings and Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie".
      gif.015

You would have a lot of material there... and I sure plenty would be laughing and/or shaking their heads at what I come up with.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

BirdBrain wrote:

BB, let me try one of the 8 gram models. Who knows, you may convert or revert me back.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

BirdBrain wrote:

2 for me :ohmy: I feel special :silly: I made you a "one-off" Survival Bracelet, 2.0mm Aire-Core Pro Dyneema Wrapped with 1.8mm Aire-Core Pro... It is thee first and last one I will make as it was at the peak of my ability to knot cordage, especially with the flat and slippery nature of the Dyneema... Twas a labor of frustration, oops, Luv :kiss: Off 2day, so I will drop it in the Post later...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

BirdBrain wrote:

Thanks in advance Bird Brain...I'll use it with pride, and each time I lite it, I'll reflect.

Yea that's what happened to me - turns out Zelph has friends or groupies make them and he does a great job keeping up... I just did it to discover some of the things that can be done...I just don't want to end up making the same thing over and over again... I am not wired mentally for that.

thanks...if the shipping sucks let me know.

Pm coming
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Yea that's what happened to me - turns out Zelph has friends or groupies make them and he does a great job keeping up... I just did it to discover some of the things that can be done...I just don't want to end up making the same thing over and over again... I am not wired mentally for that.

Pm coming

Did not get the PM WOO.

BirdBrain wrote:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

Pm coming

Did not get the PM WOO.

uh yea this dunce cant figure out the new software... go figure. Tomorrow is a short day...
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

Stove update:

Building is becoming mundane. Therefore, I am stopping mass production with stove's for ATM and WOO. I will continue to build, but with refinement and experiment more my focus. I have a design in mind. If I make it work, I will advertise when I have a few built.

I built these stoves because of the generosity of SS. I soon found out that she was not the only generous one. I like what was started and decided to join in. Let's keep this spirit going. Perhaps we can create a new thing called Site Angels. :blink:

TrainWreck wrote:

I really like your idea of creating a Site Angel category. I'm going to put it up as a new discussion topic.

I'm game. I'll make some more stuff in the near future. I've got a lot of silnylon leftovers laying around. My cuben supply is pretty much depleted until I order some to make something else.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

I am not mailing instructions with my stoves. Instructions get lost. I am posting them here. If someone can't find them, I will link back to them.

First a disclaimer: With stoves, as with everything else, there are preferences. Because of preferences, claims and complaints are made to suit each choice. One such claim or complaint (depending how it is framed) is setup. Make no mistake, every stove has a setup routine. If it is not followed, the stove of choice will not perform correctly. I built my stoves to suit my setup style. I prefer a cone. As such, you will suffer or benefit from my choice. It is all a matter of perspective. Now on to the instructions.

I built my stoves to be able to boil 2 cups of 70° (21.1° for OZ ) water using 17 ml of yellow HEET indoors in a cone. As such 20 ml of SLX outdoors with the screen of your choice should suffice for 2 cups of water drawn from a stream (30 ml for 3 cups). I would encourage having an accurate way to measure your fuel. However, that is a different subject.

Instructions specific to the roll top design: This stove has a wick. It is not designed to burn without a pot on top of it. Doing so will overheat the stove and degrade the wick. Pour desired amount of fuel into stove. Set stove in desired wind screen. Light the stove. Wait for it to bloom (about 18 seconds). Slowly set pot onto stove. Cover pot and wait about 4.5 minutes before checking. Uncover and wait for rolling boil to stop. There is no good way to recover fuel from this design so you might as well let excess fuel to burn with the pot on it. You can hold your hands in the vicinity of the stove if you are concerned if it is burning or not. It is hard to see if an alcohol stove is burning while outside. This can be a bit unnerving to the novice.

Instructions specific to the 8 oz design: This stove is designed to burn with nothing on top of it. It is safe to test and/or let burn off without a pot on it. It does require a separate pot stand. I have not done extensive tests but 1 to 1.5 inches between the top of stove and the bottom of pot seems about right. Pour desired amount of fuel into stove. Set stove in desired wind screen and pot stand. Light the stove. Set the pot onto the pot stand. Cover pot and wait about 4.5 minutes before checking. It is possible to recover fuel from this stove once the water is boiling. However that is another discussion. Obviously any such method would require a cover that could be placed over the stove to extinguish it after water is boiling. I would not put much more than 30 ml of fuel in this stove. It is small.

If you have any other question, please ask.
    • Alcohol Stoves

rocksNsocks wrote:

BB, look at this fine piece of engineering...I think there's a market for your stoves.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Small-Side-Alcohol-Stove/dp/B00BH3B1XE/ref=pd_sbs_sg_25?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AZ3B2JP5WS6RYVWN4A3

I have the correct "market" for my stoves here. As a rule, I never sell anything.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Just Bill wrote:

Are the walls getting any easier?
      You get a chance to try a mini version yet?
      You're slowly making me think about those things again...

Yes. I have it down.

Yes. It performs about the same as my side burner stoves, but weighs slightly more when you add a pot stand. I like my side burner option better.
      I am working on a new thing. It needs refinement. It is not something I am willing to share with people yet. It acts really funky if you starve it of oxygen. It primes in 8 seconds and very aggressively if you get my drift. When I get it down, I will be making some out of some special edition Mountain Dew cans I acquired.
    • Alcohol Stoves

I was thinking mini version for small pots- still no pot stand, just a smaller version- but no worries- it's your problem now, don't let me add another dimension to your madness.

Yar- careful with that new one. I had a few runaways and dangerous combos. The one I showed that melted the walls of the can and the turkey pan windscreen comes to mind as does the double pinhole jet experiment that spit flame. The capillary design seems like a sweet way to build pressure, which is fun to play with.
      Best of luck.

There's always another version-
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCP2-Bfhy04
    • Alcohol Stoves

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BB, look at this fine piece of engineering...I think there's a market for your stoves.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Small-Side-Alcohol-Stove/dp/B00BH3B1XE/ref=pd_sbs_sg_25?ie=UTF8&refRID=0AZ3B2JP5WS6RYVWN4A3

I have the correct "market" for my stoves here. As a rule, I never sell anything.
      I like your style.

Me too, 'Socks... I like ur style too brother...
    • Alcohol Stoves

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

I like your style.

Me too, 'Socks... I like ur style too brother...
      Thanks Toli...like yours too...now we all stylin' :)
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

8 stoves are in the mail. All are scheduled to be delivered on Monday.
      and now for a much deserved rest. You are a true Tinkerer. Looking forward to watching the pretty blue flame. Might even put next to the wifes candle and show her how back packer roll.

Bet that stove could cook the hell outta some potpuri.
    • Alcohol Stoves

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

and now for a much deserved rest. You are a true Tinkerer. Looking forward to watching the pretty blue flame. Might even put next to the wifes candle and show her how back packer roll.

HeHe... You said "potpuri"... :silly:
    • Alcohol Stoves

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

yeah but I was thinkin' hashbrowns.
    • Alcohol Stoves

rocksNsocks wrote:

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

yeah but I was thinkin' hashbrowns.

You are seriously whacked out brother :silly: Lucky me :P