Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Alcohol Stoves

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Alcohol Stoves

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

This stuff is approaching the limits of my abilities.

You must become one with the stove, Master...
      Otherwise, I ain't gonna get one :P

When are you going hiking this year?

Hey MM and ATM..... have you guys got your stove in the mail yet?

The Black Forest Trail is DEFF one of them, talked with WOO about doing it last year, but it did not work out, maybe we can git 'er done this year... If I go solo, I will just Yo-Yo it... DEFF the PA. Grand Canyon, AKA The West Rim Trail, might even bust out my Tankara and do some Trout fishin' along the way... Then there is always the possibility of stalkin' HB when he hits PA. :evil: Will go back to the Dak's again this year too... AK gave me sooo many good suggestions... Batonia with 'Socks and his Posse??? Ain't Skeered 'Socks gif.002
      I ain't a skeerd of no Jersey Devils.

Neither is any other club in the NHL :ohmy: OH SNAP!!!
      oh no you didn't gif.003
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I got the coolest stove in the mail the other day. Haven't tried it just yet but will do soon. Thanks BB. It's way, way, way cool.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Alcohol Stoves

rocksNsocks wrote:

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

The Black Forest Trail is DEFF one of them, talked with WOO about doing it last year, but it did not work out, maybe we can git 'er done this year... If I go solo, I will just Yo-Yo it... DEFF the PA. Grand Canyon, AKA The West Rim Trail, might even bust out my Tankara and do some Trout fishin' along the way... Then there is always the possibility of stalkin' HB when he hits PA. :evil: Will go back to the Dak's again this year too... AK gave me sooo many good suggestions... Batonia with 'Socks and his Posse??? Ain't Skeered 'Socks gif.002

oh no you didn't gif.003

Yep, and now I'm 'bout ready to go Checkers on you...

"King me" :P
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • Alcohol Stoves

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Toli wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

oh no you didn't gif.003

Yep, and now I'm 'bout ready to go Checkers on you...

"King me" :P
      2.gif jokes on you though, I don't follow baseball.

sorry forgot to laugh out loud.
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrafficJam wrote:

BB, remember when I said I probably wouldn't convert to an alcohol stove? I lied. I love it. How long should I expect it to last?

BTW, I just found the instructions in your box. All things considered, I didn't do too bad figuring it out.

It should last a long time. I have a small concern about the wick. It is reasonable to expect nothing else to wear out. I am working on a wickless version. Considering the generosity of those I have given stoves to, I will be sending out the next generation as soon as I perfect it. I am a little nervous though. It appears that I can't out give you guys. On that note: Thank you for the hat. It fits great and it light weight. I am not a big hat person and did not take one last year until after the Bigelows. The spot taught me that I need one to sleep in at least. I took a head band after that but was not happy with it. I like this replacement. One question: Does the pattern go in the back or front?
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BB, remember when I said I probably wouldn't convert to an alcohol stove? I lied. I love it. How long should I expect it to last?

BTW, I just found the instructions in your box. All things considered, I didn't do too bad figuring it out.

It should last a long time. I have a small concern about the wick. It is reasonable to expect nothing else to wear out. I am working on a wickless version. Considering the generosity of those I have given stoves to, I will be sending out the next generation as soon as I perfect it. I am a little nervous though. It appears that I can't out give you guys. On that note: Thank you for the hat. It fits great and it light weight. I am not a big hat person and did not take one last year until after the Bigelows. The spot taught me that I need one to sleep in at least. I took a head band after that but was not happy with it. I like this replacement. One question: Does the pattern go in the back or front?

I'm happy it'll work for you. The pattern goes in the front.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: Alcohol Stoves

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Left to right: 8 grams, 11grams, 31 grams, 8 grams. Have to wait 24 hours for JB Weld to cure before testing. Will likely send out a few of the 8 gram type. 11 gram type too hard to build.

I'll take one if you have any extra

You got it. This is how these look in action (if mine came out right).

• Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

Therefore I do not like to carry things that require batteries that might drain. If it can't last 15 days without a recharge, I am not carrying it.

I feel the same way about lighter. I like to light my stove without a lighter. The lightweight Bic option is too small to safely light an alcohol stove (imo). The long flex head ones are to heavy and bulky. I use a MSR piezo igniter. Just dip it in the fuel in the stove, lift a half an inch, ignite, and blow out igniter. This is a reliable lightweight option that does not require fuel. (a lighter).

Hi BB thanks for finding the MSR Piezo - back on Page 2, another 1/2 ounce in the pack. (Edit),.Curious and a after thought can you start a fire with a bird nest and the Piezo? Hey I will catch up after dinner. Good thread so far!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Hey BB!
      It might be a while before I could organise some payback, but if I gave you an address in West Virginia could you make me a stove?

Absolutely. Don't stress about payback. We are sharing on this site and I think I am behind.

That's great!
      I'll confirm the West Virginian is cool with it.
      IM and I love good alcohol stoves and teaching the locals how "gram weenie" they are.
      We have no problems with fuel here either. Every supermarket and hardware store in the country sells "methylated spirits".
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

Test results are in on new capillary hoop side burning stove with 20 ml of Heet and 2 cups of water at 70° with cone:

prime at 0:08
      boil at 4:20
      out at 5:20

Test results using same parameters for the stoves I mailed are as follows:

prime at 0:18
      boil at 4:42
      out at 5:21

New stove weighs 11 grams. Old stove weighs 31 grams.

I have no way of testing my 8 gram stoves (other than free burn). I have no pot stand. They prime in 3 seconds, but flame pattern is not as well defined as it should be. However, I know the solution. I need to make the bowl opening smaller. All in all, I am encouraged with the results.

BB-
      A wire coat hanger or 4 thicknesses of heavy aluminum foil will form a pot stand or combo pot stand windscreen easily enough for someone of your resources. A few pole barn nails or even 16d sinkers may do it too for your little guy there.

Looks good- can't remember who did the video but a guy was using a wooden block with a notch to make the walls of the capillary stove based if you aren't already using a jig of some sort.

Just Bill wrote:

BB-
      A wire coat hanger or 4 thicknesses of heavy aluminum foil will form a pot stand or combo pot stand windscreen easily enough for someone of your resources. A few pole barn nails or even 16d sinkers may do it too for your little guy there.

Looks good- can't remember who did the video but a guy was using a wooden block with a notch to make the walls of the capillary stove based if you aren't already using a jig of some sort.

I saw that video. I am using an impact socket, 1/8" drill bits, and a 3 sided file. Cutting the large hole on the crimped inner wall is my main obstacle. I can do it, but it takes me too long. I am not a big fan of the stoves that require a separate stand. That is why I have no stand. In an effort to consider all sides, I am building them now. I have decided on a pot stand. I just need to find the right material. Titanium bicycle spokes are my 1st choice. SS TIG wire is second choice. This is the stand I will be building:

Never liked the stands either, but you gotta try everything once...

Few folks on BPL reported getting cheap or free TI spokes at local bike shops if you got a decent one in the area.

Not that I've heard of a wick wearing out, it's a heavy item and worth working around IMO. Either way, keep up the good work fella!

Just Bill wrote:

Few folks on BPL reported getting cheap or free TI spokes at local bike shops if you got a decent one in the area.

Not that I've heard of a wick wearing out, it's a heavy item and worth working around IMO. Either way, keep up the good work fella!

Please keep chiming in. It is obvious that you have been down this road before. Will check local bicycle shop. I was going to go to the dump. But, hey... if I can get new and cheap, that is better.

BirdBrain wrote:

Just Bill wrote:

Please keep chiming in. It is obvious that you have been down this road before. Will check local bicycle shop. I was going to go to the dump. But, hey... if I can get new and cheap, that is better.

I ran a Trek Bike shop for a few years in Orlando, and Ti spokes ain't cheap brother... They might have some broken Stainless ones laying around they would give you tho... My bud owns a High-End mobile bike service there, I could prob get you them for cost plus shipping...

I ran a Trek Bike shop for a few years in Orlando, and Ti spokes ain't cheap brother... They might have some broken Stainless ones laying around they would give you tho... My bud owns a High-End mobile bike service there, I could prob get you them for cost plus shipping...[/quote]

I thought the problem with the TI spokes was if they bent you were out of luck and had to be replaced outright? Never got into em myself- but the deal part was the bent ones that were still long enough to make stove parts but good for nothing else. Not the case?

If not BB- better off buying the wire itself- or not messing with TI at all.

Just Bill wrote:

I ran a Trek Bike shop for a few years in Orlando, and Ti spokes ain't cheap brother... They might have some broken Stainless ones laying around they would give you tho... My bud owns a High-End mobile bike service there, I could prob get you them for cost plus shipping...

I thought the problem with the TI spokes was if they bent you were out of luck and had to be replaced outright? Never got into em myself- but the deal part was the bent ones that were still long enough to make stove parts but good for nothing else. Not the case?
      In my experience, any bent spoke needs to be replaced... When I built Ti spoke wheel sets, I made sure the rider got a few extra spokes of every length used... Unless they were involved in a crash, the biggest issue was pulled threads on the nipples, especially when they were built with aluminum nipples... I personally don't know any one riding Ti wheel sets anymore... It's so 5 years ago ;)

If not BB- better off buying the wire itself- or not messing with TI at all.[/quote]

BirdBrain wrote:

2 of my stoves are going to Australia! OZ is getting one like you have and IM is getting this new design.

And Australians will be told of the generosity and stove making skills of a BirdBrain with a .177 calibre.
      gif.004 gif.004 gif.004 gif.004
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

2 of my stoves are going to Australia! OZ is getting one like you have and IM is getting this new design.

I've got alcohol in my gear box, but you said I need to put a pot of water on it to try it out right?

Yes. 20 ml of fuel for 2 cups of water (30 for 3). Light stove. Allow to prime (about 18 seconds). Set pot on stove. You should use a wind screen out doors.

BirdBrain wrote:

Okay... let's see if have this straight:

Roll top Budweiser stoves to OZ, TW, and Toli.
      8 gram stoves to IM, RS, Toli, Rasty, and ???

Am I forgetting anyone? I do that.
      Anyone else want one or the other? JJ? ATM? etc?

Sounds bloody good to me!
      gif.004

OzJacko wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.004

I see where they are selling the 8 gram stove that I am building (with case, sack, and stand) for $55 on eBay. I am doing it all wrong again. HB has trained me well.

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.004

I see where they are selling the 8 gram stove that I am building (with case, sack, and stand) for $55 on eBay. I am doing it all wrong again. HB has trained me well.

I for one will be a salesman for you, but we will have to await further trips across the globe by willing couriers.
      I hope to go to the states again next year.
      I'll try and get a bundle of paying customers lined up for you....

OzJacko wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.004

I for one will be a salesman for you, but we will have to await further trips across the globe by willing couriers.

Not interested in selling any. I would rather give a few away to some friends. I will get bored of this soon and be on to something else. Thank you much anyways.

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

gif.004

Not interested in selling any. I would rather give a few away to some friends. I will get bored of this soon and be on to something else. Thank you much anyways.

No worries.
      I look forward with interest to what your very individual mind next comes up with.
      I'm considering a thread along the lines of "Musings and Tinkerings of a BirdBrained Gram Weenie".
      gif.015