Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Alcohol Stoves

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Alcohol Stoves

moose717 wrote:

I have a question ... when I first started backpacking I made my own alcohol stove out of a catfood can -- found the instructions on line. I've never used it in cold weather, but use it in temps down to about 50. You guys keep talking about "priming" and I tried to watch Kevin when we were at Harriman. Anyway ... in simple terms ... is priming basically just using a little more fuel because it takes a minute or two longer for the alcohol to light?

Sorta'. Priming is required for stoves with pressurized jets. It takes some time for the alcohol to get up to temperature and ignite out the jets. Some stoves (like Kevin's) require an external heat source via burning excess alcohol on outside of stove. Mine heats from a center bowl and pressurizes the side walls. Mine primes or blooms or blossoms (people call it different things) in about 18 seconds. The longer it takes the more excess fuel is burnt. I hover the pot over the stove until it blooms. By the time I light it and get the pot into position it is almost primed anyways. I will find a video and post it to explain this better.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

moose717 wrote:

I have a question ... when I first started backpacking I made my own alcohol stove out of a catfood can -- found the instructions on line. I've never used it in cold weather, but use it in temps down to about 50. You guys keep talking about "priming" and I tried to watch Kevin when we were at Harriman. Anyway ... in simple terms ... is priming basically just using a little more fuel because it takes a minute or two longer for the alcohol to light?

Sorta'. Priming is required for stoves with pressurized jets. It takes some time for the alcohol to get up to temperature and ignite out the jets. Some stoves (like Kevin's require an external heat source via burning excess alcohol on outside of stove. Mine heats from a center bowl and pressurizes the side walls. Mine primes or blooms or blossoms (people call it different things) in about 18 seconds. The longer it takes the more excess fuel is burnt. I hover the pot over the stove until it blooms. By the time I light it and get the pot into position it is almost primed anyways. I will find a video and pot it to explain this better.

Thanks!
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • Alcohol Stoves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiQCuUxgHxk

The stove on the right is what started all these Budweiser roll top stoves. The stove on the left is similar to my current stove. This video shows how cold water effects the 2 designs. My latest modification addresses this effect when a cold pot is set on top of the stove.
    • Alcohol Stoves

moose717 wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

moose717 wrote:

Sorta'. Priming is required for stoves with pressurized jets. It takes some time for the alcohol to get up to temperature and ignite out the jets. Some stoves (like Kevin's require an external heat source via burning excess alcohol on outside of stove. Mine heats from a center bowl and pressurizes the side walls. Mine primes or blooms or blossoms (people call it different things) in about 18 seconds. The longer it takes the more excess fuel is burnt. I hover the pot over the stove until it blooms. By the time I light it and get the pot into position it is almost primed anyways. I will find a video and pot it to explain this better.

Thanks!

If you want one, I will build and send you one.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Kathy and I have been using an Etowah II alcohol stove. I have no idea how much it weighs, how much fuel it uses, or how long it takes to boil water, but I am happy with it. It works well with our K-Mart grease pot and a wind screen I made from aluminum flashing. Unlike most of you, we're usually heating water for two.

[IMG:http://www.etowahoutfittersultralightbackpackinggear.com/images/e2.jpg]
    • Alcohol Stoves

That's really sweet BB gif.016 I like tinkering around making stuff, so I'll pass this time. I'll add this to my list. I sew a lot, so this will get me out of that "rut."
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed
    • Alcohol Stoves

Thanks for the stove and all the info BB! You've made it fun and interesting and I've learned a lot about alcohol stoves in the past few days. I just might become an alcohol stove user after all...maybe...we'll see...if I don't burn my hand off trying to light it. :lol:
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Can you spot the mod? I crimped a stove in 3 spots on the rim today and tested if it insulated the stove from cold water in a pot. It did. Thus this mod. And WOO, leave the lighter home. I can think of 3 reasons: too heavy, subject to failure, to hard to light stoves because of size... not needed... that's 4.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

4 stoves are in the mail. I was told they will arrive anywhere from Saturday to Wednesday depending on distance and the storm.

I did not mention something in my instructions sheet that I will pass on here. I am not in favor of carrying things that have designs built in that cause them to be prone to failure. I like to eliminate Murphy as much as possible. Therefore I do not like to carry things that require batteries that might drain. If it can't last 15 days without a recharge, I am not carrying it.

I feel the same way about lighter. I like to light my stove without a lighter. The lightweight Bic option is too small to safely light an alcohol stove (imo). The long flex head ones are to heavy and bulky. I use a MSR piezo igniter. Just dip it in the fuel in the stove, lift a half an inch, ignite, and blow out igniter. This is a reliable lightweight option that does not require fuel. One might ask what if the thing fails. It won't. But if it did you would use the emergency matches that you ought to be carrying anyways until you get to town where you can buy the option most people use (a lighter).

Bump
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

What I do to light my cat can is to dip a twig in the alcohol, light the twig, and then touch that to the alcohol. I'll burn my fingers every time if I try to light the stove with my lighter.

Look at my piezo option above. No note lighters. No more burns.

I'm not a gram weenie.
      I carry one of those blow torch style lighters.
      I just shoot the flame into the stove.
      Instant lighting, no burnt fingers or messing around trying to get a bic lighter flame to go down when they only want to go up.

BB I am loving this thread and your info.
      Showed IM yesterday and we will try making some in near future.
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

4 stoves are in the mail. I was told they will arrive anywhere from Saturday to Wednesday depending on distance and the storm.

I did not mention something in my instructions sheet that I will pass on here. I am not in favor of carrying things that have designs built in that cause them to be prone to failure. I like to eliminate Murphy as much as possible. Therefore I do not like to carry things that require batteries that might drain. If it can't last 15 days without a recharge, I am not carrying it.

I feel the same way about lighter. I like to light my stove without a lighter. The lightweight Bic option is too small to safely light an alcohol stove (imo). The long flex head ones are to heavy and bulky. I use a MSR piezo igniter. Just dip it in the fuel in the stove, lift a half an inch, ignite, and blow out igniter. This is a reliable lightweight option that does not require fuel. One might ask what if the thing fails. It won't. But if it did you would use the emergency matches that you ought to be carrying anyways until you get to town where you can buy the option most people use (a lighter).

Bump
      Right you are BB. I dirt bagged my peizo (apparently spell check does not know how to spell piezo either) electric generator from an old disposable Bar-B-que lighter that ran outta fuel, just break open the handle, and bingo. The little quarts sparker will live forever, baring terminal corrosion.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

Working on your stove MM.

So, this is my progression on using Alchy stoves, keeping in mind I went "stove less" for 2 years...

The one on the left is a Brasslite Turbo-D, was my "go to" stove for many years/miles... Easily many 1000's of boils, and still a solid stove... Dan's(Zelphs) venom stove w/simmer ring, when I started to get fancy cooking, BTW, it works, really... A stove I make in a pinch, needs at least a 1.3L pot width, a freakin' rocket engine stove, no finesse, just heat... In Front is my go to stove for the last couple of years, Robbie's(Smokeater908) Rollover stove(6g)...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • Alcohol Stoves

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

So, this is my progression on using Alchy stoves, keeping in mind I went "stove less" for 2 years...

The one on the left is a Brasslite Turbo-D, was my "go to" stove for many years/miles... Easily many 1000's of boils, and still a solid stove... Dan's(Zelphs) venom stove w/simmer ring, when I started to get fancy cooking, BTW, it works, really... A stove I make in a pinch, needs at least a 1.3L pot width, a freakin' rocket engine stove, no finesse, just heat... In Front is my go to stove for the last couple of years, Robbie's(Smokeater908) Rollover stove(6g)...

Here's the anatomy of a stove anyone can make in a pinch to boil water... I have many times just wallowed out the holes with a knife, and slit the insert with said knife...

• Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

Can you spot the mod? I crimped a stove in 3 spots on the rim today and tested if it insulated the stove from cold water in a pot. It did. Thus this mod.

The mod works great. I put ice water into the pot and set it on the stove just after it primed. the flame was not effected by the cold pot. The 4 stoves I sent out need to be retrofitted. I will ponder the solution.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Can you spot the mod? I crimped a stove in 3 spots on the rim today and tested if it insulated the stove from cold water in a pot. It did. Thus this mod.

The mod works great. I put ice water into the pot and set it on the stove just after it primed. the flame was not effected by the cold pot. The 4 stoves I sent out need to be retrofitted. I will ponder the solution.

2.gif ... JK... Luv ya,,, Mean it...
    • Alcohol Stoves

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

So, here is my cook set, Ti-Goat 475ml Ti mug with handles(weighs the same as thee ever popular MLD w/o handles and silicon band) Ruta Locora carbon fibre lid, Rollover stove and alminium windscreen... Under 78g... Add to that, either an old skool BPL Ti long handle spoon or a STS Al spoon(depends on my meal bags depth) under 98g...

• Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I see em. Are those continual/pre-heaters?
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

BB, I can probably do this myself, with detailed instructions of course.
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TJ, now your cookin with gas...he's dreamy!
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

moose717 wrote:

Sorta'. Priming is required for stoves with pressurized jets. It takes some time for the alcohol to get up to temperature and ignite out the jets. Some stoves (like Kevin's) require an external heat source via burning excess alcohol on outside of stove. Mine heats from a center bowl and pressurizes the side walls. Mine primes or blooms or blossoms (people call it different things) in about 18 seconds. The longer it takes the more excess fuel is burnt. I hover the pot over the stove until it blooms. By the time I light it and get the pot into position it is almost primed anyways. I will find a video and post it to explain this better.

Mine only requires an external heat source when it's below about 25 degrees out. Above that temperature, it primes perfectly well from a little pool of alcohol sitting on top of the penny. But below that temperature, it needs a little bit of help because the fuel on top of the penny seems to run inside before the stove blooms. I'm not ashamed of that, there are a lot of pressurized alcohol stoves that don't function at all in cold temperatures, and Moose surely saw that I had no trouble getting a boil! (I also saw the Jetboil users on that trip cradling their canisters in bare hands trying to boil off the butane. Canister stoves are cantakerous in that kind of weather, too. It was 18 degrees inside my tent that morning, so it must have been single-digits outside.)

It takes only a few drops of priming fuel, even in single-digit temps. A quarter teaspoon is way too much.

I use a separate pot stand. I used to use one made of drip irrigation stakes, but I found that the stove can burn through it, so I switched to aluminum rod stock. When I'm solo, I use a Grease Pot; when I'm cooking for others (as I was in Harriman) I bring the pot from a GSI Dualist cookset. Both those pots are wide, so they don't balance well on a tiny stove.

My usual technique is to put down the heat reflector, the priming dish, the stove, the pot stand, pot and windscreen - the whole stack.
      Then I stick a tiny wisp of dryer lint at the edge of the priming dish. A spark from a firesteel lights the lint and priming fuel, and the priming flame lights the main part of the stove. Moose didn't get to see because it's quick to set up the stack and light it. In summer I can just strike a spark into the pool of alcohol on the top of the stove (or maybe use a bit of tinder to catch the spark).

The priming dish doubles as a lid when I put the stove away, and the heat reflector can be used as a steamer basket.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

The sleeve is pressed in via vice. It would likely be destroyed if you attempted to yarn her out. You would also need the new sleeve and a jig with 3 holes to put in a vice to press the new sleeve in. I am pondering an easy fix other than how I did it here. I have a couple ideas. I am playing Einstein (thinking and pretending that takes the place of doing). The stove works fine without the mod and if you hover it for a few seconds above the flame, there is no issue. This mod just makes it so you can set a very cold pot directly on the stove without effecting the flame. This was not possible with this kind of design in the past.
    • Alcohol Stoves

AnotherKevin wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

moose717 wrote:

Mine only requires an external heat source when it's below about 25 degrees out. Above that temperature, it primes perfectly well from a little pool of alcohol sitting on top of the penny. But below that temperature, it needs a little bit of help because the fuel on top of the penny seems to run inside before the stove blooms. I'm not ashamed of that, there are a lot of pressurized alcohol stoves that don't function at all in cold temperatures, and Moose surely saw that I had no trouble getting a boil! (I also saw the Jetboil users on that trip cradling their canisters in bare hands trying to boil off the butane. Canister stoves are cantakerous in that kind of weather, too. It was 18 degrees inside my tent that morning, so it must have been single-digits outside.)

It takes only a few drops of priming fuel, even in single-digit temps. A quarter teaspoon is way too much.

I use a separate pot stand. I used to use one made of drip irrigation stakes, but I found that the stove can burn through it, so I switched to aluminum rod stock. When I'm solo, I use a Grease Pot; when I'm cooking for others (as I was in Harriman) I bring the pot from a GSI Dualist cookset. Both those pots are wide, so they don't balance well on a tiny stove.

My usual technique is to put down the heat reflector, the priming dish, the stove, the pot stand, pot and windscreen - the whole stack.
      Then I stick a tiny wisp of dryer lint at the edge of the priming dish. A spark from a firesteel lights the lint and priming fuel, and the priming flame lights the main part of the stove. Moose didn't get to see because it's quick to set up the stack and light it. In summer I can just strike a spark into the pool of alcohol on the top of the stove (or maybe use a bit of tinder to catch the spark).

The priming dish doubles as a lid when I put the stove away, and the heat reflector can be used as a steamer basket.

Finally... info on a penny stove. I know 2 things about a penny stove: 1) I have seen YouTube videos where people have successfully built them. 2) I cannot build one that performs good.

I am glad for your input. I do not mean to misrepresent them. All I know is what I have observed online. I have not had success building one. What we need now are plans detailing how to build one right.

Just reread the post. I use a KMart grease pot on my tiny stove. I must have better balance than most. gif.014
    • Alcohol Stoves

Another note on this thread. I know there are varying opinions on what works for the person with the varying opinions. My hope in this thread is to get people to make the case for their setup. I have been making the case for mine. I have little doubt there are many other setups that work and likely some that work better. Ultimately that is why I am on this type of site. I want to learn what other people are doing and hopefully glean some knowledge along the way.
    • Alcohol Stoves

The gram weenie in me can't help but brag that my setup weighs 8.0 ounces. That incudes the grease pot, lid, 2 part homemade caldera cone, cut down pot gripper, igniter, fuel measuring vile, stove, and tiny base shield to insulate stove from the ground.

The tight wad in me can't help but brag that the pot cost about $7, the cone was made from excess roofing flashing, the pot gripper was found on the trail, the igniter cost about $8, the vile for pulled out of a trash can, the base shield was cut from an aluminum baking tin, and the stove has $0.55 of parts in it.

I also carry an small cup that fits in the grease pot with the above mentioned cook kit and a 375 ml reclaimed "mickie" bottle for fuel that I bought for $0.15 from the redemption store.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

The sleeve is pressed in via vice. It would likely be destroyed if you attempted to yarn her out. You would also need the new sleeve and a jig with 3 holes to put in a vice to press the new sleeve in. I am pondering an easy fix other than how I did it here. I have a couple ideas. I am playing Einstein (thinking and pretending that takes the place of doing). The stove works fine without the mod and if you hover it for a few seconds above the flame, there is no issue. This mod just makes it so you can set a very cold pot directly on the stove without effecting the flame. This was not possible with this kind of design in the past.

Wow...I've learned something the past few days. I dont understand all this but when you mentioned the mod, I thought, "I bet I can just hover the pot over the flame". Maybe I understand more than I think?

I have one of Zelphs mugs/lids. Would that be ok on the stove? I think I read that it gets hot so I might need a pot gripper?
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Wow...I've learned something the past few days. I dont understand all this but when you mentioned the mod, I thought, "I bet I can just hover the pot over the flame". Maybe I understand more than I think?

I have one of Zelphs mugs/lids. Would that be ok on the stove? I think I read that it gets hot so I might need a pot gripper?

I am being a weenie in my design. We are only talking seconds in difference in boil times. The stove will not go out as is if you set the pot on with cold water in it. The flame just backs down a tad if the water is cold. The direct contact cools the alcohol and slows the burn for a matter of seconds. There is no need to hover more than a couple of seconds. I am just trying to make the stove bomb proof.

Side burner stoves like mine require a wide pot to work at maximum efficiency. I use a KMart grease pot. It is 5.5" wide. Yes, you should have a pot gripper of some sorts. I will post links to options later. I am out the door soon.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Okay. In the spirit of sharing here are my stove options.
      Not pictured or detailed we also have a full Trangia set, a Trangia clone made in China and I have another gas canister stove that is nearly twice the weight of the MSR.

My main opttions:
      L-R; MSR gas stove, Evernew Ti Stove Set, TiTri Sidewinder.
      Gas is most convenient, I use it when I hike with Annie, in bad weather and (when I was in USA) Maine and other places I may be at altitude.
      Evernew Stove Set is my favourite. I use the burner with the Sidewinder when I am expecting wind or am looking at wood burning options. The stove itself weighs 37gm. The whole set weighs in at 85gm. Note the pot cozy for the Evernew pot weighs in at 89gm and is worth about 5 times that in my opinion.
      The mug is stainless steel and I won't weigh it. Got it for $1 from a Salvos (goodwill) store and the lid is just magic. I normally wrap the stove set in a bit of rag and shove it in the mug. The lighter (note blow torch style) fits in as well. On shorter solo hikes this is all I take (and fuel obviously).

Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Alcohol Stoves

How long does it take for your Trangia clone to prime. I have seen reviews that suggest that the real deal primes much faster. I have been tempted to try to build one, but those reviews have dissuaded me. I have gathered that it is all in getting the wick right. Considering how long it took me to get my stove right, a trangia clone intimidates me.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

How long does it take for your Trangia clone to prime. I have seen reviews that suggest that the real deal primes much faster. I have been tempted to try to build one, but those reviews have dissuaded me. I have gathered that it is all in getting the wick right. Considering how long it took me to get my stove right, a trangia clone intimidates me.

I don't know.
      The Evernew is not a trangia clone, it has no simmer ring option or lid to save unburnt fuel etc.
      Not quite as OCD as you .177, but before our trip to AT last year, IM and I sat down with all our alcohol stoves and using the same pot and the same amount of water that was also a standard starting temp, we measured how long it took all the stoves to bring the water to what we both agreed was a rolling boil.
      We no longer have the figures, it was just to satisfy curiosity about differences and decide which to take.
      They were all pretty much the same.
      The fastest was a cheap steel one IM has that he bought for a few dollars but is many times the weight of my Evernew. Slowest was the Trangia clone. A rough and ready pepsican stove IM made was next slowest. My evernew was a bit quicker than the 2010(?) stove that came with my Sidewinder so I use the Evernew when I take the Sidewinder as the 2010 stove (not pictured) has an annoying lip around the base that makes it harder to pack.
      We also timed how long they took to burn out completely from the same amount of fuel.
      Unsurprisingly the length of burn pretty much matched with what you expect from the boil time.
      I concluded that alcohol stoves do have variance in performance, but not really enough to concern me.
      But I love the look of yours and if everything else is similar, I'll go on looks.
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrafficJam wrote:

I got my stove too BB! I love it but question your taste in beer. :) JK

Now I have to find fuel to try it out.

I do not drink. I buy the bottles from a local redemption center for a nickel a piece. I buy the yellow Heet from Wal*Mart for testing at home.

SLX is the preferred option on the trail. Do not get the Kleen Strip Green. Too much ethanol is not a good thing. SLX has a good mix between methanol and ethanol.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I got my stove too BB! I love it but question your taste in beer. :) JK

Now I have to find fuel to try it out.

I do not drink. I buy the bottles from a local redemption center for a nickel a piece. I buy the yellow Heet from Wal*Mart for testing at home.

SLX is the preferred option on the trail. Do not get the Kleen Strip Green. Too much ethanol is not a good thing. SLX has a good mix between methanol and ethanol.

I've been to two places and can't find the right fuel for my awesome stove. I don't have the courage to go to Wal Mart on a Saturday. I've got sterno and was thinking about using some in the stove...just to check it out. Is this ok?