Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Alcohol Stoves

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Alcohol Stoves

I am not sure if my status posts to my friends are going through. Therefore I will post this here: Lately the Poho's have been feeling generous. People have been giving stuff away. I believe SS started this trend. I have been asking myself how I could join in on the fun. In the spirit of the generosity shown by others on this site, I am willing to send one of my stoves to anyone on this site that wants one. Just PM me your contact info and I will mail one out as I make them. Not sure if there is any interest, but ya'.....
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

I am not sure if my status posts to my friends are going through. Therefore I will post this here: Lately the Poho's have been feeling generous. People have been giving stuff away. I believe SS started this trend. I have been asking myself how I could join in on the fun. In the spirit of the generosity show by others on this site, I am willing to send one of my stoves to anyone on this site that wants one. Just PM me your contact info and I will mail one out as I make them. Not sure if there is any interest, but ya'.....

I'm interested in trying one. I probably won't be a convert so don't want to take one if somebody else wants it.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Alcohol Stoves

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I am not sure if my status posts to my friends are going through. Therefore I will post this here: Lately the Poho's have been feeling generous. People have been giving stuff away. I believe SS started this trend. I have been asking myself how I could join in on the fun. In the spirit of the generosity show by others on this site, I am willing to send one of my stoves to anyone on this site that wants one. Just PM me your contact info and I will mail one out as I make them. Not sure if there is any interest, but ya'.....

I'm interested in trying one. I probably won't be a convert so don't want to take one if somebody else wants it.

Don't worry about that. 1st come, 1st serve. I have plenty of bottles and am going to make a few.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Don't worry about that. 1st come, 1st serve. I have plenty of bottles and am going to make a few.

Sounds good, I'll pm you
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Alcohol Stoves

OzJacko wrote:

Fantastic video BB!
      I will be showing it to IM for him to make "nicer" looking stoves.
      I won't ask for you to mail one..... :lol:

I am making a custom one for Toli. I plan on posting pictures of it in process. My design differs in many respects from the on in the video. The most useful part of that video is how to roll the edge. And thank you. I am not sure how much it would cost to mail to your place.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Average of numbers for 3 trials on final design of stove with 14.1 grams (1/2 ounce) of Heet and 2 cups of water at 70° with cone:

prime at 0:18
      boil at 4:42
      out at 5:21

17 ml barely brings water to boil. Water is starting roll as stove goes out at 210°, but the temperature continues to climb to 212° as water calms after flame out.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Fantastic video BB!

I am making a custom one for Toli. I plan on posting pictures of it in process. My design differs in many respects from the on in the video. The most useful part of that video is how to roll the edge. And thank you. I am not sure how much it would cost to mail to your place.

That's me gif.014 Thanks BB gif.004 ...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...
    • Alcohol Stoves

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Fantastic video BB!

Will upload in process photos later.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Fantastic video BB!

Will upload in process photos later.

Oh H E Double Hockey Sticks YES!!! gif.014 Looks awesome brother...
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

I could not find suitable boxes. So I built some. I just got done and it is time for work. 4 stoves will be in the mail tomorrow. They will be packaged and addressed tonight.

Thanks again BB... Hope you were able to send it back in the same box, don't wanna be a PITA :P The offer still stands, I will make you my version of a Survival Bracelet using the Air-Core Pro Dyneema, but if ur good, I will instead PIF it to another forum member if you would like...

• Alcohol Stoves

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I could not find suitable boxes. So I built some. I just got done and it is time for work. 4 stoves will be in the mail tomorrow. They will be packaged and addressed tonight.

Thanks again BB... Hope you were able to send it back in the same box, don't wanna be a PITA :P The offer still stands, I will make you my version of a Survival Bracelet using the Air-Core Pro Dyneema, but if ur good, I will instead PIF it to another forum member if you would like...

No. 4 new homemade boxes.

I have hesitated on the bracelet. It sounds good, but I already have one from Shellie Shuttle. PIF
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I have hesitated on the bracelet. It sounds good, but I already have one from Shellie Shuttle. PIF[/quote

I'd think twice about that BB. Two survival bracelets could give you "Super Powers" when you tap them together! :P :side:
    • Alcohol Stoves

Mountain-Mike wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Toli wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I have hesitated on the bracelet. It sounds good, but I already have one from Shellie Shuttle. PIF

I'd think twice about that BB. Two survival bracelets could give you "Super Powers" when you tap them together! :P :side:

I agree and almost said yes. I don't mind being a post hog, but did not want to be a bracelet hog.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Mountain-Mike wrote:

I want to see a pic of Agent .177 clicking his two survival bands together on top of Mt Washington!!!!!

Just call me Wonder Woman.

i thought you were a guy.

So do I. So did my parents, my wife, and my 3 children. This site is very informative.
      yes i suspect your family is on to you.
      its all good
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

this discussion reminds me of the time my wife said that the kids did not look like her. I told her I had to confess that she was not the mother.

HaHa that's funny. Makes me think of my sister- her idea of a vacation is staying at a Hilton, mine is sleeping in a tent- we just can't be from the same parents.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Alcohol Stoves

4 stoves are in the mail. I was told they will arrive anywhere from Saturday to Wednesday depending on distance and the storm.

I did not mention something in my instructions sheet that I will pass on here. I am not in favor of carrying things that have designs built in that cause them to be prone to failure. I like to eliminate Murphy as much as possible. Therefore I do not like to carry things that require batteries that might drain. If it can't last 15 days without a recharge, I am not carrying it.

I feel the same way about lighter. I like to light my stove without a lighter. The lightweight Bic option is too small to safely light an alcohol stove (imo). The long flex head ones are to heavy and bulky. I use a MSR piezo igniter. Just dip it in the fuel in the stove, lift a half an inch, ignite, and blow out igniter. This is a reliable lightweight option that does not require fuel. One might ask what if the thing fails. It won't. But if it did you would use the emergency matches that you ought to be carrying anyways until you get to town where you can buy the option most people use (a lighter).
    • Alcohol Stoves

Dmax wrote:

I haven't seen one of those, cool. I normally just dip a piece of grass, twig, etc into the alcohol. I light it and then I can light the stove.

Same idea, except in this case the igniter is the twig and the lighter. I have seen many reviews where people say these things can't light alcohol stoves. Seems simple to me.
    • Alcohol Stoves

I have a question ... when I first started backpacking I made my own alcohol stove out of a catfood can -- found the instructions on line. I've never used it in cold weather, but use it in temps down to about 50. You guys keep talking about "priming" and I tried to watch Kevin when we were at Harriman. Anyway ... in simple terms ... is priming basically just using a little more fuel because it takes a minute or two longer for the alcohol to light?
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed