Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Alcohol Stoves

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I left my stove and fuel outside. The temp was 41. Everything worked great, I used 25 ml fuel/2 cups water and had to wait for the fuel to burn out.

There are opposing schools of thought in cooking on the trail (and many people with a mix of those mindsets). One is to heat with alcohol and the other is to heat with a canister. They really don't mix. There are too many differing views than I would like to pick fights with in this post. I will just pick on one here.

JB advised to bring extra fuel just in case. That may be prudent advice for this trip and as many trips as it takes to get to know your system. However, if you can never break the "bring extra in case" school of thought, you should be carrying a canister. The problem with bringing extra fuel and burning extra fuel is that you are always burning that extra fuel and wasting that extra fuel and waiting for that extra fuel to burn off, unless you have a stove that allows you to snuff it and recover that extra fuel. But you would still be carrying that extra fuel. That is what canister burners do.

Your test in the garage showed you that you are using too much fuel. You want that stove to be going out as it comes to a boil. You want to be as close to that as possible. My comfort level even allows for the stove to barely miss the boil once in a while. 200° is close enough for me once in a while. To each their own, but that is how I roll.

If I treat my water with Aquamira before heating it, I too will settle for less than a boil, especially for oatmeal or a hot drink. Two packs of ramen in 2 cups water works best with water as hot as I can get it. Thread drift: raspberry lemonade tastes good with my fruit & cream oatmeal, so sometimes I make my oatmeal with my left over mixed drink.

Another possibility is using a stove that is easy to blow out and recover unburnt fuel from. That is one reason I keep working on my Pushbutton stove. It is easy to blow out, but stays lit in a 20 mph wind, even without the windscreen or pot stand. I wait for it to cool, remove the fuel plug, place a small container (round dipping sauce container posted earlier, but something plastic would be much lighter) over the top, and quickly invert them.

I am in Evansville, IN trying to make a quick buck. I plan to go camping, do some more testing, and report more results soon.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does

stoviewander wrote:

Another possibility is using a stove that is easy to blow out and recover unburnt fuel from. That is one reason I keep working on my Pushbutton stove. It is easy to blow out, but stays lit in a 20 mph wind, even without the windscreen or pot stand. I wait for it to cool, remove the fuel plug, place a small container (round dipping sauce container posted earlier, but something plastic would be much lighter) over the top, and quickly invert them.

That remains my only frustration with my designs. Although, my 8 gram and 10 gram versions allow for a syphon. A small hose and collapsible fuel container would make this easy and would be lighter than a funnel. I have toyed with that idea or an eye dropper to recover fuel. Also, a 30 ml syringe with markings on the side could do the job and double as measuring device. I currently use one for measuring fuel for tests.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Re:Re: Re:Alcohol Stoves

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

USPS crushed his. Had to make another. Getting better at this.

I hope the USPS gets crushed from it's own stupidity. No wonder they're all killing each other.

They will have to be creative to crush this one. When it arrives you will see what I mean and will get a chuckle over how we have to protect ourselves from people with no consideration or common sense.

BirdBrain wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

That remains my only frustration with my designs. Although, my 8 gram and 10 gram versions allow for a syphon. A small hose and collapsible fuel container would make this easy and would be lighter than a funnel. I have toyed with that idea or an eye dropper to recover fuel. Also, a 30 ml syringe with markings on the side could do the job and double as measuring device. I currently use one for measuring fuel for tests.

Oh, the creative juices are flowing again. I feel the need to come up with the lightest, easiest and most efficient way to recover fuel from my 10 oz side burner (that I am hoping JJ or CL or someone will name).

BirdBrain wrote:

stoviewander wrote:

I have a 30 ml syringe which I can easily slip a short length of tubing onto. I have used that combination on the AT to measure and siphon fuel. Great minds can think alike. :)

I am heading to Harrisburg, PA to section some AT for 10 days, so you may not hear much from me. Always nice to have a fellow stovie to bounce ideas off and get feedback - many thanks.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Alcohol Stoves

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

How about the BirdBrian Sidewinder ?

It should have the word weenie in there somewhere.

Teenie weenie Sidewinder

Not feeling it like I did with the BirdBrain SideBurner and the Puuuurrrrtttty Stove. No rush. I want it to feel right. The 1st 2 names have an edge to them. They are fun. They are easily made sport of. I like giving haters and lovers things to laugh at.

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Teenie weenie Sidewinder

Not feeling it like I did with the BirdBrain SideBurner and the Puuuurrrrtttty Stove. No rush. I want it to feel right. The 1st 2 names have an edge to them. They are fun. They are easily made sport of. I like giving haters and lovers things to laugh at.

Apple sider? I am silly.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Given the fact that it has 16 ribs, 32 1/32" jets, boils 16 oz of water in 4 minutes using 16 ml of Heet, and has 4 of a super secret modification, I have a name in mind. I like the 2 others came up with for the last 2 stoves, so I will give it some time. I am out for a bit. Later lurkers.
    • Alcohol Stoves

Wieners and alcohol stoves? See http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=691&p=4814&hilit=hotdog#p4814

I have also seen similar posts, but cannot find them in a hurry. If I was going to do that sort of thing, I would wrap the food well with aluminum foil to keep soot and unburnt fuel off.

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Teenie weenie Sidewinder

On the other thread we've got guys talking about the lenght of their poles, and over here we've got somebody's teenie weenie? One-track minds, all of you...
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

Given the fact that it has 16 ribs, 32 1/32" jets, boils 16 oz of water in 4 minutes using 16 ml of Heet, and has 4 of a super secret modification, I have a name in mind. I like the 2 others came up with for the last 2 stoves, so I will give it some time. I am out for a bit. Later lurkers.

How about turboweenie for the flame pattern? I'm out of weenies.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Alcohol Stoves

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I should be more clear. I am not seeking a name for the center burning stove. The designer has a name for that one. It is called chs-easy. I am seeking a name for the stove I sent you. It is a 10 gram side burner that I have my own finger prints all over. I build the chs-easy to he original specs.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

I should be more clear. I am not seeking a name for the center burning stove. The designer has a name for that one. It is called chs-easy. I am seeking a name for the stove I sent you. It is a 10 gram side burner that I have my own finger prints all over. I build the chs-easy to he original specs.

Ohhhhhh. Now I see, I was confused before. I can't wait to try it out.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Alcohol Stoves

JJ, your stove is out for delivery. I will be checking for a report. You might have got the only one that I am willing to share. Your version is so hard to build. I crushed another trying to insert the top collar on Thursday. You got one because you are a true gram weenie.

ATM, your stove is in the mail as of yesterday. They say it will be there on Monday. Funny stuff, I know.
    • Alcohol Stoves

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

I have sad news... for me.

I made another attempt to give the CHS-easy center burner every chance to beat my side burner numbers. This is the center burner stove that I have mailed to a few of the Café members.

1st I tried to perfect the flame pattern. This was accomplished by drilling pilot holes for the 8 jets with the smallest bit I could find (not sure of size) and then angle drilling the jets with a 1/32" bit so the bit ended up pointing counter clockwise at the 2nd jet from the jet being drilled. Next I started tipping the angle upward until the spiral tightened. 15° ended up being about right. Next I tested until I got the optimum boil height. That ended up being 1.25" from the bottom of the pot to the top of the stove.

The result was I am able to boil 2 cups starting at 70° in 3 minutes 58 seconds on 14.5 ml of yellow Heat. This matches what I can do with my 10 gram side burner with Klean Strip Green. This makes the refined 8 gram center burner more efficient than the 10 gram side burner.

2.gif 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

The only saving grace is the lightest stable pot stand I can construct weighs 10 grams making it 8 grams heavier than my 10 gram side burner that does not require a pot stand. Now I am grasping at straws.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

ATM, your stove is in the mail as of yesterday. They say it will be there on Monday. Funny stuff, I know.

Maybe I'll just call them in Miami on Friday and see if I could just come pick it up because we're going back to Alabama the end of April and wont be here by the time it gets to WPB.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Alcohol Stoves

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

That's purrrrrrrrrty.

Tracking says a stove arrived at your place. Was it intact? Have you tried it?

Yes to both and thank you so much BB I have tried twice to load a report with pictures but I keep getting a fatal error message. Let me try again with one picture.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Alcohol Stoves

BB. The stove works great! I fired that puppy up on the patio and did a little FBC with a straight heat shield, 20 ml of yellow heet and 2 cups of cold tap water ( not sure of the temp, no thermometer) in my titan kettle. The stove bloomed almost immediately, about 5 seconds, and the water came to a gentle boil in 4 minutes. The stove went out at 4 minutes 15 seconds.

The stove weighs a mere 10 grams which is 4 grams heavier than my cat can stove, but it is 40% more fuel efficient which means I can carry my little 4 floz bottle instead of the big 8 floz fuel bottle that I usually carry.
      The little stove is a definite weener!!! Thanks again BB.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Alcohol Stoves

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I am unable to load the picture of the stove. I keep getting a fatal error message. I took it with my new camera, maybe it's too high a resolution for the server??????

Needs to be 1mb or less

Thanks Rasty I'll see what I can do about it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Re:Re: Alcohol Stoves

jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I am unable to load the picture of the stove. I keep getting a fatal error message. I took it with my new camera, maybe it's too high a resolution for the server??????

Needs to be 1mb or less

Make it a jpg. Load into your computer and transfer from there.

BirdBrain wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Needs to be 1mb or less

Make it a jpg. Load into your computer and transfer from there.

That is what i did but i guess the resolution is too high . Im doing it all wrong again
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference