Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Everything Old Is New Again

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Everything Old Is New Again

Atlas Obscure is a constant source of seemingly pointless information (I love it). Today I learned that Trail Days, Thru Hiking, and FKT are not entirely modern inventions. From this AO post we learn that 200 years ago competative and demonstration long distance walking was all the rage in England, with clubs, gambling, drinking, celebrity athletes, parties, cheating, crowdsourcing, arrests for disorderly conduct, etc... I guess we've not really come all that far.

atlasobscura.com/articles/pede…ism-george-wilson-walking
    • I worked with a guy from Ireland once, and knowing nothing about the country having never been there I asked "what do you have?" Malls, speed way racing, amusement parks? He said "just remember, everything you have...we had it first" now that made sense to me. We really are a very young country, and on Tuesday we'll once again celebrate our independence from England and the start of our own country. Happy 4th and for one, happy birthday. :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks ().

• Back in 1980 I got to work in Holland for 6 months as part of a contract the company I worked for had.
      We used to eat, and drink, at a Brit bar in the middle of Amsterdam since we spoke the same language, sort of.
      There was me and 3 other guys from the same company and we waned to make the 4th Of July a memorable one.
      So we stole an American flag from the awning of some tourist shop and marched into the bar waving the flag (about 3 x 5 feet) while whistling Yankee Doodle. We marched in loudly and planted ourselves at the middle of the bar. We got plenty of looks and everyone wanted to know what the ruckus was about. When we explained that we were celebrating the 4th Of July all we got were blank stares. When we changed that to American Independence Day their expressions changed and we just smiled at their scowls. Then we bought everybody in the place a round of drinks and everything was OK again.
      That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
      :)
    • It should be remembered that, not all but many were sent to the Americas with free passage...for stealing and other thuggery. We should bring back that idea and implement here. If you're a repeat offender, it's off to...Kodak Island with ya or the Allusions with a tin can to boil water.