Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Sometimes you've just gotta dream

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• LIhikers wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Since dreamin' don't cost nothin'...a European trip with a focus on the Great Britton would be like goin' home for me.
      Everything carries a cost, even not going on your dream trip.It's just that the cost isn't in money.
      I don't recall who made this quote but it comes to mind a lot, I wrote it on my grand daughter's graduation card....when you get to the end of your life and look back, it's not the things you did that you will regret, it's the things you didn't do.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • I would say these are my dream trips

untamedborders.com/trekking-tajikistan-pamir-mountain-lakes/

untamedborders.com/trekking-th…n-22-days-in-afghanistan/

If you are lucky, you might run into a game of buzkashi. A blog post describes like this:

"a couple of dozen horses and men play a game that aims to sink a dead headless goat's/sheep's corpse into a hole in the ground. It's each on their own, and it is rough. Horsemen try to steal the corpse from a competitor and score a point. There is no real pitch boundaries so occasionally the crowd has to run for their lives to avoid being trampled. We are lucky to bump into a buzkashi game. It is spectacular, thrilling and at times pretty scary as a spectator"

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• odd man out wrote:

I would say these are my dream trips

If you are lucky, you might run into a game of buzkashi. A blog post describes like this:

"a couple of dozen horses and men play a game that aims to sink a dead headless goat's/sheep's corpse into a hole in the ground. It's each on their own, and it is rough. Horsemen try to steal the corpse from a competitor and score a point. There is no real pitch boundaries so occasionally the crowd has to run for their lives to avoid being trampled. We are lucky to bump into a buzkashi game. It is spectacular, thrilling and at times pretty scary as a spectator"
      sounds like some kind of crazy redneck pologolf.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • The Afghanis have become more civilized in playing this game. The body used for scoring was once a captured foe or a particularly despised criminal. At the start of the game, the person was still alive.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • NoAngel wrote:

odd man out wrote:

sounds like some kind of crazy redneck pologolf.
      This reminded me of a book I read many years ago - The Horseman by Joseph Kessel. The trials and tribulations of an aspiring buzhkashi horseman who wants to play in Kabul. It was also made into a movie with Omar Sharif - late 60s or early 70s IIRC.

Funny what tickles you memory and what surfaces...
    • odd man out wrote:

It seems the Turkish countries of central Asia, Buzkashi is called Kokpar. The dominant teams are from Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan so naturally they met for the finals in this year's Kokpar world championship in Astana. Sadly it looks like the American team couldn't break into the top four teams (who knew we even have a Kokpar team?), but then again this was their first major international tournament. There's a video in this link if you want to see what its like. If it helps, they use a fake goat carcass for the championships.

rferl.org/a/kazakhstan-kyrgyzs…01819.html?ltflags=mailer
    • Talkin about dreams...does anyone else have a dream jar? AKA change jar? When the jar gets full, it gets dumped into a bigger one. I have the next one ready to go. Haven't decided what I'm spending it on...but I'm dreaming about a WM bag, or a nice violin, or a new bicycle.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Put my notice in. Last day is Sept 5th (being nice and taking my last on-call rotation in full. We go from Tues to Tuesday).

Hiking the Collegiate Loop as a tune-up hike.

Put my stuff in storage/wrap things up in September

Take off for a Utah trek (not the Hayduke) for about 5 wks.

Pick up my car back in Colorado, go road-tripping from late October/ Early Nov until ????. Camping, hiking, backpacking, and cultural sites are on the docket.
    • TrafficJam wrote:

Talkin about dreams...does anyone else have a dream jar? AKA change jar? When the jar gets full, it gets dumped into a bigger one. I have the next one ready to go. Haven't decided what I'm spending it on...but I'm dreaming about a WM bag, or a nice violin, or a new bicycle.
      i have a change counter/sorter. I put all my change in it and put the coins in those paper tubes from the bank. When we go on a vacation it's my "Mad Money" .
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • PaulMags wrote:

Put my notice in. Last day is Sept 5th (being nice and taking my last on-call rotation in full. We go from Tues to Tuesday).

Pick up my car back in Colorado, go road-tripping from late October/ Early Nov until ????. Camping, hiking, backpacking, and cultural sites are on the docket.
      Congratulations! Welcome to the ranks of the soon-to-be unemployed! My last day is tomorrow.
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

Put my notice in. Last day is Sept 5th (being nice and taking my last on-call rotation in full. We go from Tues to Tuesday).

Congratulations! Welcome to the ranks of the soon-to-be unemployed! My last day is tomorrow.
      Mine too! Do you think it's contagious?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

Gotta be something in the water...
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

Hope my Sawyer doesn't remove it then, cause I'm tired of working. I just want to go out and play now. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • EdDzierzak wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

I think it's some sort of cosmic balance. I'm finally employed again, because of that the stars (figuratively speaking) decided to release others from the chains of wage work. :D
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

I think it's some sort of cosmic balance. I'm finally employed again, because of that the stars (figuratively speaking) decided to release others from the chains of wage work. :D

Yay! Glad to hear it. I'd noticed that you'd been subdued of late, but in the last week or two sounded more like your usual self (atrocious puns and all). In fact, I'd been meaning to reach out and ask how you were doing. One of these months, we really ought to make another attempt at Friday Mountain (doable as a day trip if we start from the front like sane people rather than bashing up the back side). I know that Phinn doesn't leave you a lot of time, though, so I've not been bugging you.

The company hasn't forced me into retirement yet. I'm sure that day's coming. But the last couple of rounds, they didn't make me an offer that I couldn't refuse. I'm getting to that point where sacking me might just be doing me a favour.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

You have my sympathy.....may the farce be with you.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Since we're dreaming...

That was so damned bad I loved it....my wife down in the family room has got to think I've totally lost it I am laughing so hard...then again it could be that third glass of bourbon....I said bourbon instead whisky cause it sounds so much more sofisticated....and I know it's mispelled that and I don't care.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

A good trusted sitter is hard to come by, keep em on retainer :thumbup:
    • uncle meat wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

EdDzierzak wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

A good trusted sitter is hard to come by, keep em on retainer :thumbup:
      We found her and she's already on retainer. I used to get home late from my old job, so we hired a sitter who would come over whenever my wife was working a night shift in order to watch my son until I got home. Now that my new job is much closer and has more predictable hours, we still pay her to come over once a week. Alot of it that is just to keep her working for us in case we need her more in the future.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • Kev, I've been thinking of the Catskills quite a bit lately, however it won't be in the cards for a while. I'm not sure if I announced it here, but Phin the second is expected to arrive in just over two weeks, so we get to do the whole thing all over again. gif.014.gif
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Kev, I've been thinking of the Catskills quite a bit lately, however it won't be in the cards for a while. I'm not sure if I announced it here, but Phin the second is expected to arrive in just over two weeks, so we get to do the whole thing all over again. gif.014.gif
      Congratulations! :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Kev, I've been thinking of the Catskills quite a bit lately, however it won't be in the cards for a while. I'm not sure if I announced it here, but Phin the second is expected to arrive in just over two weeks, so we get to do the whole thing all over again. gif.014.gif
      Congrats!Who knew that Elves were so prolific :D
      Or fertile.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Congratulations! Two Little Elves... I can see we're going to be suffering from cuteness overload around here!

Friday Mountain will still be there when you're ready. I may try to bag it in the meantime, but I'm still slowly working back into things - three steps forward and two steps back, I'm afraid. I'm going to try to take Teacher and Gumball to Overlook Mountain and Echo Lake in another week, and see how the feet and knees treat me on that one.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.