Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The Golf thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• interesting article in this weeks SI (and i read it earlier on their website) about the guy who was primarily responsible for that course being built. he is currently in prison for murdering his wife and the "history books" have been rewritten to remove all references to him.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

interesting article in this weeks SI (and i read it earlier on their website) about the guy who was primarily responsible for that course being built. he is currently in prison for murdering his wife and the "history books" have been rewritten to remove all references to him.
      While I certainly don't condone murdering your wife, that sounds like a little too much white washing there.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

interesting article in this weeks SI (and i read it earlier on their website) about the guy who was primarily responsible for that course being built. he is currently in prison for murdering his wife and the "history books" have been rewritten to remove all references to him.
      While I certainly don't condone murdering your wife, that sounds like a little too much white washing there.
      I agree, we don't wanna change the meaning of the word history, crazy, it is what it is, he was a golf coarse designin' murderin' SOB!
    • max.patch wrote:

Cool coarse though, I like links. These greens are fast, and some of em remind me of "Pine hurst" with its slopping greens and unforgiving table tops.
    • uncle meat wrote:

I'd really like to see more land in some of these hellacious sand traps and struggle to get out like St. Andrews's monsters...but there to damn good and aren't struggling to much despite the strong winds.
      We got an Olds Catalina stuck in a sand trap one night herding cows. The course had been closed for years and was converted to a dairy farm and the fraternity I was in rented part of it. We had too much mooo uch fun that night.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

I'd really like to see more land in some of these hellacious sand traps and struggle to get out like St. Andrews's monsters...but there to damn good and aren't struggling to much despite the strong winds.
      We got an Olds Catalina stuck in a sand trap one night herding cows. The course had been closed for years and was converted to a dairy farm and the fraternity I was in rented part of it. We had too much mooo uch fun that night.
      I got myself stuck in the sand in the pine barrens, found and old piece of rug in the woods and tried to dig and drive out, and jacked it up, pushed it over...right into more sand! Luckily a fella came along shortly after that with a Jeep and a whench, he had me out in no time flat!
    • Rasty wrote:

one course I worked at we could fit a 40 foot x 80 foot party tent in the 18th sand trap. We caked the event the bunker bash and it was a very fun party each year. The sand trap was almost 20 feet deep also.
      With a good rain, you could have had a pool. Or perhaps a pond. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

one course I worked at we could fit a 40 foot x 80 foot party tent in the 18th sand trap. We caked the event the bunker bash and it was a very fun party each year. The sand trap was almost 20 feet deep also.
      You would never flood a properly constructed sand trap.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

You would never flood a properly constructed sand trap.
      ...or get a ball out of it...I believe I've had more strokes in a sand trap than most have in 9 holes.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • My brother was a superintendent at Pinehurst for 8 years. He was on No. 1 & No, 4 for a couple years then moved out to No. 6. I would head up there every chance I could and play from sun up to sun down. I loved No. 2 before the USGA bastardized it for the Open. I haven't played it since they've supposedly taken it back to it's original form.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • I would guess that the USGA was not happy with -16 winning the U.S. Open. Maybe the clown's mouth will be added to a few greens at Shinnecock Hills...

I understand making the U.S. Open a supreme test of golfing skill. What I don't understand is recreational courses that have severely sloped greens where a putt that just misses the hole will roll off the green.

Off to hit and then chase the little white ball in 8 hours...
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

I would guess that the USGA was not happy with -16 winning the U.S. Open. Maybe the clown's mouth will be added to a few greens at Shinnecock Hills...

I understand making the U.S. Open a supreme test of golfing skill. What I don't understand is recreational courses that have severely sloped greens where a putt that just misses the hole will roll off the green.

Off to hit and then chase the little white ball in 8 hours...
      I agree, you really gotta be able to get up and down and make it sit, anything less than that puts a lot of chance/good luck/right place right time/and a prayer into play, and fate picks the winner.

A good example was Keopka on 16 the hardest hole of the day, everyone blew it...he birdies it, unbeleavable!

Or maybe it was 15, eye furgit.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Socks: Up and down ().

• Speaking of pro players vs. recreational golfers...

I was playing a course on St. Croix with a local many years ago. As we finished the 15th and moved to the nearby 16th tee, four shots rained down onto the 15th green behind us - all of them close to the pin. Turns out the LPGA had a tournament scheduled and four tour members were playing a practice round together. We learned that four professionals can play birdie golf faster than two amateurs playing bogey golf - we had to step aside and let them play through.

Yeah... they're that good.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Foresight wrote:

If you're even remotely interested in the game then do yourself a favor and watch touring professionals play at least once. Until you do, you simply cannot fathom how good they truly are.
      that's how I learn to play, the basics and subtle nuances...fanny out, arms hang straight down, proper address, ball fore and aft depending on what your trying to achieve, lots to it that game, not just hit a little white ball and chase it all day.
    • Foresight wrote:

If you're even remotely interested in the game then do yourself a favor and watch touring professionals play at least once. Until you do, you simply cannot fathom how good they truly are.
      I was walking around (deffinitely NOT playing) the old course in St Andrews during the British Amateur Championship. The wind was blowing a gale off the North Sea perpendicular to the 1st an 18th fairways. Very impressive. I played a round on the lady's,putting green.
    • Stopped in pebble beach once, not to play just to see it as we were driving in the area, very impressive 9th or 18th can't remember...the one where ya shoot over the water right by the club house. I really don't play a lot of golf, and I'm not that good, but I love the game of golf and can watch it over baseball on TV anyway, nothing like being at a ball game and eatin' dogs!
    • you golfers are gonna hate this...about 20 years ago a friend called me and told me to pack a bag -- the boss (his father in law) gave him the company tickets to the masters.

i told him to call someone else -- i wasn't gonna waste a second of my life on that crap.
      2,000 miler
    • During the height of his popularity, Tiger was awaiting the setup of a Nike commercial shoot when he became fidgeting. He started bouncing a ball off an iron in similar fashion and an executive became inspired to produce a commercial featuring this skill.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

During the height of his popularity, Tiger was awaiting the setup of a Nike commercial shoot when he became fidgeting. He started bouncing a ball off an iron in similar fashion and an executive became inspired to produce a commercial featuring this skill.
      eldrick bounced his balls off a lot of things he shouldn't have.
      2,000 miler
    • uncle meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

During the height of his popularity, Tiger was awaiting the setup of a Nike commercial shoot when he became fidgeting. He started bouncing a ball off an iron in similar fashion and an executive became inspired to produce a commercial featuring this skill.
      Aparently Woods did to :D
      Eldrick 'Tiger' Woods. I guess with a name like Eldrick, you're gonna find a nickname.

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Aparently Woods did to :D
      Eldrick 'Tiger' Woods. I guess with a name like Eldrick, you're gonna find a nickname.
      Ugh, never knew that...thanks. ^^
    • What I contemplated today...

If you attempt to rob a bank, you won't have any trouble[b] with rent/food bills for the next 10 years, [b] whether or not you are successful.
      [/b][/b]

Do twins ever realize that one of them is unplanned?

If poison expires, is it more poisonous or is it no longer poisonous?

Which letter is silent in the word "Scent", the S or the C?

Why is the letter W, in English, called double U? Shouldn't it be called double V?

Maybe oxygen is slowly killing us and it just takes 75-100 years to fully work.

Every time you clean something, you just make something else dirty.

The word "swims" upside down is still "swims".

Intentionally losing a game of rock, paper, scissors is just as hard as trying to win.

100 years ago, everyone owned a horse and only the rich had cars.

Today everyone has a car and only the rich own horses.

The doctors who told Stephen Hawking in 1953 that he had 2 years [b]to live are probably dead by now.[/b]

If you replace "W" with "T" in "What, Where and When", you get the answer to each of them.

Many animals probably need glasses, but nobody knows it.

If 2/2/22 falls on a Tuesday, we'll just call it "2s Day".
    • I was at the US Open this year; both Saturday & Sunday. My sister had won tickets. We also had access to the Trophy Room, I believe it was called, which was air conditioned, had better food, a lot of flat screens and the deluxe portable lavatories. Had a GREAT time!!! We alternated between following a few players and sitting near greens for a few groups. Nice to have the pros playing in the Midwest.

My sister goes to tour events on a semi-regular basis so I bought her a tripod chair with an umbrella type handle and a carry strap for her birthday this past week. She really seemed to like it.
    • Trillium wrote:

I was at the US Open this year; both Saturday & Sunday. My sister had won tickets. We also had access to the Trophy Room, I believe it was called, which was air conditioned, had better food, a lot of flat screens and the deluxe portable lavatories. Had a GREAT time!!! We alternated between following a few players and sitting near greens for a few groups. Nice to have the pros playing in the Midwest.

My sister goes to tour events on a semi-regular basis so I bought her a tripod chair with an umbrella type handle and a carry strap for her birthday this past week. She really seemed to like it.
      I've never been to a pro tournament, had the chance once when a friend needed some fellas to set up a display for work which he said was like a little room/theater for them to hock their wares and then break it down afterwords, the rest of the day wouldn't been all mine...but I wasn't able to scare up a reliable crew in time. The corse was Jasna Polana.