Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Ah Chefs - Rasty weigh in on marinades please....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ah Chefs - Rasty weigh in on marinades please....

I have never considered soaking chicken breast for 24 hours. I haven't heard of this, but saw it on a face off on one of the cooking channels. So we tried it. We soaked 5 breasts in a low sodium chicken stock - not the broth, without the fat. I like the fat. Added dried herbs and a teaspoon of fresh crushed garlic. Rosemary and Tyme slightly toasted is a personal favorite. Well I started the project and quite frankly on the trail I could have vac and sealed it for the trip on the first night.

My wife made a dinner for everyone and for the first time in a few years because the extra moisture she could not over cook it. Yea I said that... It was awesome... does anyone else do this and are there cool soaking recipes?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • By soaking, are you talking about brining a chicken?

allrecipes.com/recipe/170656/simple-chicken-brine/

Soaking chicken in nothing but low salt chicken broth does nothing to macerate the flesh. Without salt the chicken won't take up much moisture. Without maceration or super-hydration, your chicken will be neither more tender nor more juicy...just sayin....

Soaking chicken in a chicken broth that is flavored(garlic, smoke, herbs, etc...) will add flavor, just like any simple marinade. Add salt(8 to 10 percent?) to the marinade and your chicken will be juicier and more flavorful. Add papaya enzyme and it will also be more tender.

YCMV... :D
    • ScareBear wrote:

By soaking, are you talking about brining a chicken?

Soaking chicken in nothing but low salt chicken broth does nothing to macerate the flesh. Without salt the chicken won't take up much moisture. Without maceration or super-hydration, your chicken will be neither more tender nor more juicy...just sayin....

Soaking chicken in a chicken broth that is flavored(garlic, smoke, herbs, etc...) will add flavor, just like any simple marinade. Add salt(8 to 10 percent?) to the marinade and your chicken will be juicier and more flavorful. Add papaya enzyme and it will also be more tender.

Using salt contradicts my understanding of osmosis.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

thekitchn.com/the-science-behind-how-brining-works-221708

cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8243-the-science-of-brining
    • When smoking brisket, I'll usually brine for 10-12 hours in a kosher salt, crushed garlic, water, black pepper, and either real Dr Pepper or Coke . Pork loin and chicken parts receive a similar brine except for the soda addition. I use a fruit flavor beer, orange/lemon are favorites.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Strange ain't it, but it works.
    • Dan76 wrote:

When smoking brisket, I'll usually brine for 10-12 hours in a kosher salt, crushed garlic, water, black pepper, and either real Dr Pepper or Coke . Pork loin and chicken parts receive a similar brine except for the soda addition. I use a fruit flavor beer, orange/lemon are favorites.
      What the Hell? what is fruit flavored beer are you mentioning? What happened to Guinness? 8o
    • Dan76 wrote:

When smoking brisket, I'll usually brine for 10-12 hours in a kosher salt, crushed garlic, water, black pepper, and either real Dr Pepper or Coke . Pork loin and chicken parts receive a similar brine except for the soda addition. I use a fruit flavor beer, orange/lemon are favorites.
      I seem to remember drinkin' a cherry Lambic that was one of the tastious beers I ever had...real clean!
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

What the Hell? what is fruit flavored beer are you mentioning? What happened to Guinness? 8o
      Guinness is for sipping. Though it is great for making a quick bread.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Guinness is for sipping. Though it is great for making a quick bread.
      Woah! Now ya got my wheels turnin' gotta try that one.
    • ScareBear wrote:

Not exactly - not all that water salt and sugar, that Low sodium Broth or chicken stock is with sea salt-not Kosher, so it still works, To help it I have been poking it with a fork. A quick marinade would be Italian dressing for example, or a Lemon zest-fresh crack pepper, sea salt with a good oil & vinegar. Most of the stuff is twenty four hours.
    • Not exactly soaking, but my favorite chicken marinade comes from a restaurant owner in Secuk Turkey who makes the "world's best chicken kebab" (or so he claimed). When I tried to order something else, he said "You don't want that. I make you chicken." He was right. It was real good. After dinner he gave me a tour of the "kitchen" (a half barrel with a wood fire) and gave me his recipe. He didn't give me amounts (I doubt he measures) so you will have to guess propirtions.

Yoghurt - not that low/no fat pasty Greek crap, but natural creamy whole milk Turkish style.
      Tomato paste - enough to make it bright pink.
      Garlic and salt - be fairly aggressive with these.
      Lemon juice - not the time to use bottled juice. Buy a lemon

Cut chicken breast into chunks about golf ball sized (or a little bigger) and marinade for a day. Skewer on rods, roast over hot wood coals. Yum.
    • odd man out wrote:

Not exactly soaking, but my favorite chicken marinade comes from a restaurant owner in Secuk Turkey who makes the "world's best chicken kebab" (or so he claimed). When I tried to order something else, he said "You don't want that. I make you chicken." He was right. It was real good. After dinner he gave me a tour of the "kitchen" (a half barrel with a wood fire) and gave me his recipe. He didn't give me amounts (I doubt he measures) so you will have to guess propirtions.

Yoghurt - not that low/no fat pasty Greek crap, but natural creamy whole milk Turkish style.
      Tomato paste - enough to make it bright pink.
      Garlic and salt - be fairly aggressive with these.
      Lemon juice - not the time to use bottled juice. Buy a lemon

Cut chicken breast into chunks about golf ball sized (or a little bigger) and marinade for a day. Skewer on rods, roast over hot wood coals. Yum.

add some curry to that and your on your way to a fine chicken tika masala!
    • I've had a similar chicken dish while in Turkey, but seasoned lamb cutlets grilled over wood coals or freshly caught fish grilled in a seaside restaurant is memorable.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Drybones wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

There is a Belgian brewery producing raspberry infused beer. It is referred as a breakfast beer.
      Nice! My uncle used to add tomato juice to beer in the morning.
      I do that with vodka...with a splash of tobasco and horse radish.
      I like my Bloody Mary's served with a slim Jim swizzle stick and a fork to finish off the dreggs of horse radish and black pepper. Burp! :)
    • uncle meat wrote:

Drybones wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

There is a Belgian brewery producing raspberry infused beer. It is referred as a breakfast beer.
      I like my Bloody Mary's served with a slim Jim swizzle stick and a fork to finish off the dreggs of horse radish and black pepper. Burp! :)
      You should try a Bloody Bull with Balls Added
    • uncle meat wrote:

Drybones wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

My son made one at Thanksgiving that's the best I've had...and it was also a meal...it had a large, very large, tooth pick with a hot pepper, hot pickle, celery, large olive...and I can't remember what else on it.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

[IMG:https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/36/d7/39/36d739dd4a62b6b94c91c82b550fc967.jpg]
      Awesome beer while the wife is having her Dessert Chocolate decadent Ice Cream on a goofy sized Cookie.

Played in a soccer game just outside this ville. We lost badly, but gained satisfaction when we challenged our opponents to American rules football.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

[IMG:https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/36/d7/39/36d739dd4a62b6b94c91c82b550fc967.jpg]Awesome beer while the wife is having her Dessert Chocolate decadent Ice Cream on a goofy sized Cookie.
      Played in a soccer game just outside this ville. We lost badly, but gained satisfaction when we challenged our opponents to American rules football.
      :thumbsup:
    • ScareBear wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Drybones wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

You should try a Bloody Bull with Balls Added
      I'll try most anything once.
    • Well a couple of pointers. I honestly do not think this is unique, the competing chefs soaked chicken pieces overnight in broth of Chicken and Chicken fat. Added a touch of garlic and dried onion and spices.

here are a few notes.

The Chicken was harder to over cook and remained very moist. It achieved a longer time to reach temperature. It had more flavor.
    • Never seen 'Better than Bullion' WOO. I'll keep my eyes open for it. I see they advertise it as a soup base. My secrete ingredient in soup broth and a few other meals is Anchovy Paste. Don't tell my wife!

You don't want to add too much, but a little gives the dish a nice Umami taste.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Never seen 'Better than Bullion' WOO. I'll keep my eyes open for it. I see they advertise it as a soup base. My secrete ingredient in soup broth and a few other meals is Anchovy Paste. Don't tell my wife!

i'm old enough to remember that when you ordered a pizza "all the way" it came with anchovies unless you told them to leave them off. (at least in miami). i wonder when that stopped. i haven't even seen anchovies on the menu as a pizza topping choice in years. and that's fine with me. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Never seen 'Better than Bullion' WOO. I'll keep my eyes open for it. I see they advertise it as a soup base. My secrete ingredient in soup broth and a few other meals is Anchovy Paste. Don't tell my wife!

i'm old enough to remember that when you ordered a pizza "all the way" it came with anchovies unless you told them to leave them off. (at least in miami). i wonder when that stopped. i haven't even seen anchovies on the menu as a pizza topping choice in years. and that's fine with me. :)
      And of course there was Patrick Dempsey and his extra anchovies pizza orders in Loverboy. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

And of course there was Patrick Dempsey and his extra anchovies pizza orders in Loverboy. :rolleyes:
      lol! i haven't seen that movie in 20 years. gotta be on netflix or amazon prime or somewhere...
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

lol! i haven't seen that movie in 20 years. gotta be on netflix or amazon prime or somewhere...
      Personally liked Can't Buy Me Love better.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I was in Selçuk Turkey a few years ago and this gentleman convinced us to eat at his restaurant because he made the world's best chicken kebabs. My wife had the Levrek (grilled sea bass). I tried to order the Çöp Şiş but the owner wouldn't let me. He said I had to have the chicken kebabs because they were the world's best. I agreed since I apparently had no choice. Anyway, they really were great. After dinner he gave me a tour of his "kitchen", which was a brick oven (see picture) with charcoal for grilling. He then gave me his recipe for the World's Best Chicken Kebab. Unfortunately he didn't have any amounts (I doubt he measured). You can play with the ratios as you wish.

Cut up some boneless chicken breast into pieces (see pictures).
      Marinade in the mixture below (overnight would be good) and grill on skewers over hot coals until nicely charred.

Marinade:
      Yoghurt. Best to use plain whole milk yoghurt. In Turkey the yoghurt is nice and creamy - not strained (Greek, e.g.) as has become so trendy.
      Lemon juice
      Salt (you can be pretty aggressive here - I recall the salt was noticeable in the final product).
      Garlic (as with the salt, the product was noticeably garlicky)
      Tomato Paste (not a lot, just enough to make it dark pink).

We walked down the same street the next day for lunch and in an amazing coincidence, the restaurant next door made the world's best baba ganoush (so claims the owner). It was really pretty good, which is saying something since I don't usually like baba ganoush. The eggplant in Turkey is completely different (and much better) from what we get here. It was roasted his over coals so it came out nicely smokey. The guy in the background was the baker who made amazing flat bread in an impressive wood burning oven. You got to have great bread with baba ganoush.

• OMO,

Great story. A private kitchen tour like that is a real treat, the pride and caring of a chef usually shows in the final product.

Let me know when you find the Worlds Best Falafels.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

OMO,

Great story. A private kitchen tour like that is a real treat, the pride and caring of a chef usually shows in the final product.

Let me know when you find the Worlds Best Falafels.
      Yes, I also love a good falafel. Unfortunately I didn't see any in Turkey. it's more of a Middle East food, and I haven't been to the middle east. Maybe someday.

I do know a guy who went on a 5 day backpacking trip in the rockies with a buddy (not me). His buddy said he would take care of packing all the food. On the first day, my friend found out his buddy had packed nothing but falafel mix for 5 days. He said after 5 days he started to "feel awful" from eating nothing but falafel.