Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

23 hours

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My daughter and I decided last night at 7:30 pm to get in the car and go hiking. At 8:30 pm we left Wilmington, NC and drive to Elk Park, VA which is about 6 hours 30 minutes. I got pulled over at 1:30 in the morning for doing 78 in a 65 and got off with a warning. We slept a few hours in the car and drove to the Grayson Highlands state park and did a 11 mile loop hike. Got back in the car an went home and got back at 7:30 pm. What were we thinking?

This was her first experience at Grayson. We will go back soon for a longer stay.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I can almost see how this will go down... My dad drove us 18 hours in the dead of night, and uphill both ways to have a hike Grayson Highlands state park where he could barely follow the blazes.... He was insane - bu I still love him. :D

Oh I left about about eating those awful Ramps...
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • My wife often comments that I'll drive 100 miles each direction to the AT to hike a few miles and then come home. And my reply is usually " and your point is???" Or "so its ok if I do more multiple day trips"? What makes perfect sense to us hikers often seems illogical to others.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Foresight wrote:

There's an Arby's on 17 headed out of Wilmington (south side, I believe). I laid in the field where it now sits hungover as hell and unable to convince myself to function while my buddy did all the work (design topo).
      That tract maybe has a 1 foot elevation change every 1000 feet
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • You are correct. And, like most, you would say "WTF does it matter???", but the lack of relief actually makes the topo work that much more necessary. Drainage is the reason. In most areas a 1% slope is a piece of cake to accomplish and even greater slopes are the norm. In the flat areas ALL of the drainage, sewer, storm, etc., are designed with slopes well under 1% therefore making the topo work critical
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

You are correct. And, like most, you would say "WTF does it matter???", but the lack of relief actually makes the topo work that much more necessary. Drainage is the reason. In most areas a 1% slope is a piece of cake to accomplish and even greater slopes are the norm. In the flat areas ALL of the drainage, sewer, storm, etc., are designed with slopes well under 1% therefore making the topo work critical
      Sh...it does roll up hill
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Foresight wrote:

You are correct. And, like most, you would say "WTF does it matter???", but the lack of relief actually makes the topo work that much more necessary. Drainage is the reason. In most areas a 1% slope is a piece of cake to accomplish and even greater slopes are the norm. In the flat areas ALL of the drainage, sewer, storm, etc., are designed with slopes well under 1% therefore making the topo work critical
      In past times I helped renovate a house set into a bowl like depression. The lot sloped into the house from all sides from 4 to 7%. Naturally the house was in a swamp most times throughout the year with the attendant mosquitoes and mold issues. The engineer recommended moving it to higher ground but it was cost prohibitive.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Foresight wrote:

In past times I helped renovate a house set into a bowl like depression. The lot sloped into the house from all sides from 4 to 7%. Naturally the house was in a swamp most times throughout the year with the attendant mosquitoes and mold issues. The engineer recommended moving it to higher ground but it was cost prohibitive.
      Sounds like a house boat in the mountains would be in order, wouldn't that be a sight!