Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hardcastle Announces FKT Attempt

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hardcastle Announces FKT Attempt

I formally state my intentions to set a self-supported FKT on the Appalachian Trail beginning in early June, 2017.

I will follow the same protocols set out by the current record holder and my inspiration, Heather Anderson (copy and pasted below);

This means:
      Arranging for no pre-planned outside support at any time, and only accepting truly random acts of kindness (trail magic) that come my way.
      I will carry all of my own gear and supplies at all times (no "slackpacking" or "muling").
      I will walk into and out of resupply locations where I will purchase food and/or collect supply boxes that I have sent to myself.
      I will follow the Appalachian Trail and official relocations only (such as the detour around Falls Village, CT), no blue blaze or alternate routes.
      When I leave the trail for resupply purposes, I will rejoin the trail at the same location I left, leaving a continuous line of footprints the entire distance.
      Never accepting a ride in a vehicle for any reason.
      As always, I will respect the wilderness landscape, the lives that dwell therein, other trail users, and the generations of users that will follow by practicing Leave No Trace Ethics.

I do not have a Facebook page and can't stand social media (which is why I belong in the woods). However I will carry a SPOT tracker and release the data if I am successful.

This is my first time tackling the AT and I look forward to flying over from Wales in the United Kingdom to take on the challenge. No doubt I have no clue what I'm in for but why not state my intentions just in case I get lucky!

Oliver Hardcastle
    • Ummm... you might want to post your intentions on the FKT site. Your thread is most likely going to drift into a discussion about drinking Blatz and peeing in water sources while hiking with an unleashed dog.

Oh look... a butterfly!
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Oliver Hardcastle wrote:

I formally state my intentions to set a self-supported FKT on the Appalachian Trail beginning in early June, 2017.

I will follow the same protocols set out by the current record holder and my inspiration, Heather Anderson (copy and pasted below);

This means:
      Arranging for no pre-planned outside support at any time, and only accepting truly random acts of kindness (trail magic) that come my way.
      I will carry all of my own gear and supplies at all times (no "slackpacking" or "muling").
      I will walk into and out of resupply locations where I will purchase food and/or collect supply boxes that I have sent to myself.
      I will follow the Appalachian Trail and official relocations only (such as the detour around Falls Village, CT), no blue blaze or alternate routes.
      When I leave the trail for resupply purposes, I will rejoin the trail at the same location I left, leaving a continuous line of footprints the entire distance.
      As always, I will respect the wilderness landscape, the lives that dwell therein, other trail users, and the generations of users that will follow by practicing Leave No Trace Ethics.

I do not have a Facebook page and can't stand social media (which is why I belong in the woods). However I will carry a SPOT tracker and release the data if I am successful.

This is my first time tackling the AT and I look forward to flying over from Wales in the United Kingdom to take on the challenge. No doubt I have no clue what I'm in for but why not state my intentions just in case I get lucky!

Oliver Hardcastle
      So, nobody is going to believe you with just your SPOT. You are going to have to provide further evidence than just a SPOT device. Perhaps you can take a look at the FKT site or even...shudder....whiteblaze for recent discussions about what it takes to prove up your FKT.

But, I have some questions. Mainly, who the heck are you? I can't find you in any racing results, ever. Have you ever ran a competitive ultra? Regular marathon? What is your longest distance over 24 continuous hours? I mean, seriously. Have you ever done an ultra or even 50 miles in 24 hours?
    • ScareBear wrote:

Oliver Hardcastle wrote:

This means:

Oliver Hardcastle
      So, nobody is going to believe you with just your SPOT. You are going to have to provide further evidence than just a SPOT device. Perhaps you can take a look at the FKT site or even...shudder....whiteblaze for recent discussions about what it takes to prove up your FKT.
      But, I have some questions. Mainly, who the heck are you? I can't find you in any racing results, ever. Have you ever ran a competitive ultra? Regular marathon? What is your longest distance over 24 continuous hours? I mean, seriously. Have you ever done an ultra or even 50 miles in 24 hours?
      can't the spot devise link to a tracking site?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

If you are serious then I highly suggest you post this to the FKT site as well as Whiteblaze.net. Posting it here won't get it much traction in the larger A.T. community
      No but it'll give us plenty of comic fodder other than making fun of TOS. gif.014.gif
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • Rasty wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Oliver Hardcastle wrote:

This means:

Oliver Hardcastle
      So, nobody is going to believe you with just your SPOT. You are going to have to provide further evidence than just a SPOT device. Perhaps you can take a look at the FKT site or even...shudder....whiteblaze for recent discussions about what it takes to prove up your FKT.But, I have some questions. Mainly, who the heck are you? I can't find you in any racing results, ever. Have you ever ran a competitive ultra? Regular marathon? What is your longest distance over 24 continuous hours? I mean, seriously. Have you ever done an ultra or even 50 miles in 24 hours?
      can't the spot devise link to a tracking site?
      It can, and does. But, apparently, it is not good enough, by itself. I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but here's a quote about it from TOS from some dude that may know something about it...
      "!!! NOTE: Due to recent problems, I'm going to say flat out that a satellite tracker (SPOT or DeLorme) is REQUIRED if you want to have an FKT recognized on any route longer than a couple of hours. You do not need to make the track public during your trip (and may not want to for safety reasons), but myself or some other objective third party must have access to the track during your trip. DO NOT come to me after the fact and say you didn't know a tracker was necessary or just didn't want to afford one! Also, a SPOT or DeLorme track is necessary but not sufficient verification - you still need to document what you did with a detailed report, photos, etc."

So, dude needs to keep a journal, provide photo's(preferably time stamped to match the SPOT coordinates!), document where and how all resupplies were done, preferably with time-stamped photos. Hell, they'd prefer you use a camera with GPS so they are time and location stamped. List witnesses and the time/location they saw you. Crap like that. They'd also prefer you did it in real time on social media with your SPOT linked to it...that way folks on the trail can confirm you were there or not. And WTH you were doing when they saw you. Bartolli/Ninja/whoever she was got tripped up that way, caught smoking ciggies, extensive breaks off trail, boozing, in a pickup truck, etc...

The post was edited 1 time, last by ScareBear ().

• Speaking of FKT's; I've never understood what takes some people so long to take a dump. My own spawn is a forever dumper, it boggles my mind. Just this morning I set a personal best timed dump at 36.07 seconds. This is from trouser drop to trouser raise, for those wanting a shot at the title.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

Speaking of FKT's; I've never understood what takes some people so long to take a dump. My own spawn is a forever dumper, it boggles my mind. Just this morning I set a personal best timed dump at 36.07 seconds. This is from trouser drop to trouser raise, for those wanting a shot at the title.
      You might think about cutting down on the coffee turd.gif
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Foresight wrote:

Speaking of FKT's; I've never understood what takes some people so long to take a dump. My own spawn is a forever dumper, it boggles my mind. Just this morning I set a personal best timed dump at 36.07 seconds. This is from trouser drop to trouser raise, for those wanting a shot at the title.
      Fastest Known Turd haha :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Foresight wrote:

I hope you still had enough time for the paperwork.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Foresight wrote:

I hope you still had enough time for the paperwork.
      No job is finished until the paperwork is done.
    • Rasty wrote:

Foresight wrote:

I do love my coffee, but it's getting really hot out now so I've switched over to Thomas Creek's Coffee Oatmeal Stout.....damned good.

Last button on the left

Yes, that includes the paperwork. In fact, that's what slows me down. Generally I've transitioned to the wiping phase by 10 seconds in.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Foresight wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Foresight wrote:

I do love my coffee, but it's getting really hot out now so I've switched over to Thomas Creek's Coffee Oatmeal Stout.....damned good.
      Last button on the left

Yes, that includes the paperwork. In fact, that's what slows me down. Generally I've transitioned to the wiping phase by 10 seconds in.
      You should spring for one of these....be sure and read the QandA to find out exactly what that TURBO function does! OMG!!!

amazon.com/BEIR-Advanced-tempe…ywords=bidet+toilet+combo
    • ScareBear wrote:

Foresight wrote:

Rasty wrote:

Foresight wrote:

I do love my coffee, but it's getting really hot out now so I've switched over to Thomas Creek's Coffee Oatmeal Stout.....damned good.Last button on the left

You should spring for one of these....
      amazon.com/BEIR-Advanced-tempe…ywords=bidet+toilet+combo
      That's some scary looking equipment. Is that a phone on the side of that contraption?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • My last physical, I had to go see a cardiologist (everything's fine, I just have a weird heart that shows abnormal on ECG's) to get cleared. On the intake questionnaire they asked about coffee consumption. I answered truthfully, that I drink one (most days) or two (maybe twice a week) of my one liter French press daily. He told me even though my heart is fine I might want to cut back on the coffee. I laughed out loud and told him to be glad he's not my regular doctor or he'd be losing a patient. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life.
      Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee
    • When we moved to our current house, in 1986, we met our wonderful neighbors. He ALWAYS had a cup of coffee in his hand. Always. Now, this little "Village", (we are a suburb of Dallas TX) was on well water back then. And he'd lived here since the early 1970's, when there was often not even enough well water! The water in the wells, has a high mineral content. So, he got to using coffee to "flavor" the water. All of it. Round the clock. once we got to know him better, I ventured to ask him once, how could he sleep with constant coffee intake? He smiled. He switched to decaf at noon! The coffee from then until bedtime, was all decaf.
      The city grew (we lived on a dirt road the first few years....now, 1/4 mile away, are mansions that the Dallas Cowboys and other well off types live in) and the city went into a water conservation agreement. Our wells still supply some of the water. but not much! The village was like 2000 people in 1986.....we are 15000 now (and almost all built out....however some developer did buy up some of the old 5 acre estates and subdivided those).
      Anyway, the man could drink coffee!
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork