Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Astro on the AT 2017

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro on the AT 2017

Did 9.5 miles today on the Arkansas River Trail. All the different treatments I have been doing for the Plantar Fasciitis seem to be working. While not totally gone, significantlyreduced, so I am all in for NH and ME this summer. Will get my airline ticket to Boston later this week. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Mail drops sent, clothes and pack treated, son shaved my head last night, so pretty much ready to go. At my son's baseball game this morning and then little more grading this afternoon. Fly out to Boston in the morning.

442 miles to do from Hanover, NH to Mt Katahdin. With my Plantar Fasciitis I did not get as much hiking in as I would have liked, or in the shape I would have preferred. But I am still looking forward to it and will make the most of it. :thumbup:
    • Astro wrote:

Mail drops sent, clothes and pack treated, son shaved my head last night, so pretty much ready to go. At my son's baseball game this morning and then little more grading this afternoon. Fly out to Boston in the morning.

442 miles to do from Hanover, NH to Mt Katahdin. With my Plantar Fasciitis I did not get as much hiking in as I would have liked, or in the shape I would have preferred. But I am still looking forward to it and will make the most of it. :thumbup:
      Good luck! Hoping for on-the-trail reports!
    • Astro wrote:

Mail drops sent, clothes and pack treated, son shaved my head last night, so pretty much ready to go. At my son's baseball game this morning and then little more grading this afternoon. Fly out to Boston in the morning.

Best wishes for a memorable...and enjoyable....hike.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Astro wrote:

Have a great hike. Check in and let us know how you're doing.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Have a great hike. Maybe some how we'll meet up there in New England.
      Look for a white haired couple with a large dog.
      Oh wait, I just got a crew cut so it'll be tough to tell it's white.
      I don't have much hair on top after last night, but my beard is white. Hope to meet you and your wife.
    • Astro wrote:

You can do it! Have a fantastic adventure!!!!
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • CoachLou wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

This is all we have to work out inSouthern Connecticut. This is the view from the top, Long Island sound.

And this was my view on the way up. :thumbsup:
      Where's that?
      Bluff Head in North Guilford, along the Mattabesett Trail.........looking North past the white shorts.
      Nice, which I think is part of the New England Trail? This cannot be too far from Laz's place. I have been hoping to do a section down there someday and stay at his B&B.

Edit: Wait a second, there was something to see past the white shorts? :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

The post was edited 1 time, last by IMScotty ().

• IMScotty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

This is all we have to work out inSouthern Connecticut. This is the view from the top, Long Island sound.

Where's that?
      Bluff Head in North Guilford, along the Mattabesett Trail.........looking North past the white shorts.
      Nice, which I think is part of the New England Trail? This cannot be too far from Laz's place. I have been hoping to do a section down there someday and stay at his B&B.
      Edit: Wait a second, there was something to see past the white shorts? :)
      We can do a section and you can stay at Overloads B&B!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

Where's that?
      Nice, which I think is part of the New England Trail? This cannot be too far from Laz's place. I have been hoping to do a section down there someday and stay at his B&B.Edit: Wait a second, there was something to see past the white shorts? :)
      We can do a section and you can stay at Overloads B&B!
      Shouldn't it be Overloads B & C? Bed & Cheesecake?
    • CoachLou wrote:

Astro wrote:

Holt's Ledge.
      Make sure you go up Smarts Mtn. Firetower! Sleep up there if you can!
      Just saw this, and already set up in the cabin by myself and it is already dark. Another guy was in here and asked if I snore? I said probably, so he left. Will go up the tower in the morning. When I got here i was sprinkling, so I went to get water and it poured. :thumbdown:
    • CoachLou wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Anxiously awaiting trail reps and pics...
      Me too, I'm meeting him in Franconia.......but when :whistling:
      The weather up there has been 'heavy rain' for more than 24 hours, and you don't camp up there in bad weather where you have service!
      Why not? I amped up there in a tropical storm. I was doing property maintenance on Nantucket Island at the ime & had to postpose a few times due to threatening hurricanes. When it was determined the current one was going ti miss the Island I tld my boss I would see him in about a week. He offered to allow me to postpone since the new storm track took it nto the Whites. I declined since it would be degraded by the time it hit there. The next morning I flew off the Island & caught a bus up there. I got some strange looks as I was headed up the mountain toward Liberty Springs CS as people evacuated to avoid the now tropical storm. I was properly prepred, I brought an extra book to rea for the day I spent mostly in my tent. Whenit cleared early the next afternooon reading when the caretaker returned to check on damage. The look on his face was priceless when I told him I was staying the night & owed him for the previos night too, sine there was nobody around to pay. I had awesome weather the next day s I crossed Franconia ridge. Rest of the trip was great. I stayed two nights at Garfiel ridge. I helped the caretaker with composting th privy. If you ever have to do it you will no longer resent paying a camping fee there. While working with him I found out I hikke some with his grandparents on my thru-hike. I continued on going over Boncliff & dropping into Pemigiwasset Wilderness before coming out. I stopped a few miles from the tralhed to check out a popular rock slide/shute in a stream that shoots you off a waterfall into a pool. Another hiker was looking for it too. I told him he was looking right at it. You just couldn't see it because it was under a few feet of water at the time.
    • Well 95% of my body had a great hike from Hanover to Glencliff, but the Plantar Fasciitis in my foot is worse now than was when I went to see the Doctor a few months ago. I was doing a lot of different treatments for it and doing fine building my legs up on flat surfaces, but it was not ready for the rocks and mountains I was going over. Cube mountain made cube steak out of my right heel. There is no way it was going to be able make it through the Whites.

After my first full day I was thinking Monsoon instead of Katahdin. On the second after Smart mountain it was if I can just do 5 to 6 miles a day through The Whites I can still do some of Maine. Then after full day 3 and Cube mountain it was time to reassess the situation. Had a conversation with a hiker who had Plantar Fasciitis who said after they kept pushing on with it for around five days it took them over a year to recover! :(

So hopefully choosing wisdom over valor and heading home. Those mountains are not going anywhere. I really hated miss walking with Coach Lou again, and the chance to me LIHikers. Once I get home I have access to a computer I will add a trip report with pictures.
    • Well darn it! I'm sorry you have to cut your trip short but I can relate to hurt feet and it ain't no fun. Got to take care of those puppies. Its not looking like I'll finish the trail this year either. I am working on a plan to hike Killington to Gorham.

Have a safe trip home Astro.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference