Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Urinating in Water Sources

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

I pee in my own water source. Lake Michigan. Sometimes the solution to pollution is dilution. But my understanding is that pee is pretty much sterile. It's the poo that has the nasty bugs.
      What would the Cafe be without a pointless calculation? Considering that lakes Michigan and Huron are technically one lake, using their combined volume from Wikipedia and doing some unit conversion, I find they have a volume of 8.4x10^18 mL. So a few mL of pee really is pretty insignificant.
    • odd man out wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I pee in my own water source. Lake Michigan. Sometimes the solution to pollution is dilution. But my understanding is that pee is pretty much sterile. It's the poo that has the nasty bugs.
      What would the Cafe be without a pointless calculation? Considering that lakes Michigan and Huron are technically one lake, using their combined volume from Wikipedia and doing some unit conversion, I find they have a volume of 8.4x10^18 mL. So a few mL of pee really is pretty insignificant.
      wait a minute, are you having a conversation with yourself? That's my job! :thumbup:
    • meat wrote:

odd man out wrote:

odd man out wrote:

wait a minute, are you having a conversation with yourself? That's my job! :thumbup:
      by breaking my comments into different post, people can ignore any part they want.
    • Years ago I did a multi-day white water rafting trip through the grand canyon. The NPS camping rules were that the poop must be carried out (the poop got its own raft), and the urine must be dumped in the river. It was interesting to see one person dumping the piss bucket into the same river that another person was getting water for the coffee from.

Urine is a sterile product. After a while you realize it is no biggie.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • meat wrote:

Do fish pee? I know they poop cause I seen em...but do they drink and pee?
      Fresh water fish do not drink the water since they already have water leaking in through osmosis. To get rid of the fresh water that leaks in they produce large volumes of dilute urine.

Salt water fish need to drink the salt water to make up for the water they are constantly loosing through osmosis. They produce very concentrated, salty urine to help get rid of the extra salt they are taking in.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

meat wrote:

Fresh water fish do not drink the water since they already have water leaking in through osmosis. To get rid of the fresh water that leaks in they produce large volumes of dilute urine.
      Salt water fish need to drink the salt water to make up for the water they are constantly loosing through osmosis. They produce very concentrated, salty urine to help get rid of the extra salt they are taking in.
      Interesting!, thanks, that's what I was wonderin'
    • meat wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

meat wrote:

Fresh water fish do not drink the water since they already have water leaking in through osmosis. To get rid of the fresh water that leaks in they produce large volumes of dilute urine.Salt water fish need to drink the salt water to make up for the water they are constantly loosing through osmosis. They produce very concentrated, salty urine to help get rid of the extra salt they are taking in.
      Sometimes it is the humorous threads where we learn some serious information, and the serious ones where the funny stuff comes out. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

meat wrote:

Fresh water fish do not drink the water since they already have water leaking in through osmosis. To get rid of the fresh water that leaks in they produce large volumes of dilute urine.Salt water fish need to drink the salt water to make up for the water they are constantly loosing through osmosis. They produce very concentrated, salty urine to help get rid of the extra salt they are taking in.
      Sometimes it is the humorous threads where we learn some serious information, and the serious ones where the funny stuff comes out. :rolleyes:
      I would assume they also have to eliminate waste nitrogen.
    • Honest We have all seen some stuff on the trail that you wish you could have caught the Neanderthal that did that before you. I gave up a long time ago... I have seen deer carcasses floating in streams. Just have a healthy appreciation and do your best. Today I opened the bottom pan under a stove and dumped about three cups of mouse feces on the back patio - made the owner of the stove clean all the pots and pans after I washed out the pull out tray. Yes, mouse urine was everywhere in the shoe boxes, closets, behind the main tv, shows up quite well with a CSI UV lamp with orange blood finding glasses. Urine was all over the food preparing counter-tops.... Most folks don't know how polluted their homes are - the trail appears cleaner to me.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Honest We have all seen some stuff on the trail that you wish you could have caught the Neanderthal that did that before you. I gave up a long time ago... I have seen deer carcasses floating in streams. Just have a healthy appreciation and do your best. Today I opened the bottom pan under a stove and dumped about three cups of mouse feces on the back patio - made the owner of the stove clean all the pots and pans after I washed out the pull out tray. Yes, mouse urine was everywhere in the shoe boxes, closets, behind the main tv, shows up quite well with a CSI UV lamp with orange blood finding glasses. Urine was all over the food preparing counter-tops.... Most folks don't know how polluted their homes are - the trail appears cleaner to me.
      +1 on this. I get really annoyed at the endless news stories that "expose" all the dangerous germs they find on kitchen counters, hotel rooms, TV remote controls, cell phones, etc... Any time they need ratings they just send a reporter to swab down some everyday item.
    • odd man out wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Honest We have all seen some stuff on the trail that you wish you could have caught the Neanderthal that did that before you. I gave up a long time ago... I have seen deer carcasses floating in streams. Just have a healthy appreciation and do your best. Today I opened the bottom pan under a stove and dumped about three cups of mouse feces on the back patio - made the owner of the stove clean all the pots and pans after I washed out the pull out tray. Yes, mouse urine was everywhere in the shoe boxes, closets, behind the main tv, shows up quite well with a CSI UV lamp with orange blood finding glasses. Urine was all over the food preparing counter-tops.... Most folks don't know how polluted their homes are - the trail appears cleaner to me.
      +1 on this. I get really annoyed at the endless news stories that "expose" all the dangerous germs they find on kitchen counters, hotel rooms, TV remote controls, cell phones, etc... Any time they need ratings they just send a reporter to swab down some everyday item.
      So you've seen the one where they show they UV light results of hotel bedspreads?

abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/hiding-hotel-room/story?id=1507794
    • ScareBear wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

So you've seen the one where they show they UV light results of hotel bedspreads?
      Baby dats nasty! Cof124 gif.013.gif
    • ScareBear wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

In fairness many things glow under black light including any laundry detergent that did not get fully rinsed out by the machine.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

So you've seen the one where they show they UV light results of hotel bedspreads?abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/hiding-hotel-room/story?id=1507794
      In fairness many things glow under black light including any laundry detergent that did not get fully rinsed out by the machine.
      What about on the walls, carpets and doors?
    • ScareBear wrote:

SarcasmTheElf wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

So you've seen the one where they show they UV light results of hotel bedspreads?abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/hiding-hotel-room/story?id=1507794
      What about on the walls, carpets and doors?
      How am I supposed to know how they do their laundry...
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • @Elf
      I've got some oil tapped right outta the well head from a Texas oil rig that fluoresces a nice light green, yet its opaque and blackish.

...and an old saucer made from uranium glass that glows green like a 70's black felt poster.

All under short wave, under long wave it can be different sometimes, fun phenomenonz
    • ScareBear wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Uh - I am in the bug business. I own the lights and 0range glasses. cost me $200, helps me find the bed bugs.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Uh - I am in the bug business. I own the lights and 0range glasses. cost me $200, helps me find the bed bugs.
      know anyone using a dog to detect bedbugs? What type of pesticide do you use to eliminate bedbugs?

I once paid the equivalent of a US dollar for a two night stay in a hostel like shelter located in a Moroccan village and was inflicted with multiple flea or bedbug bites. I placed my gear and clothing in plastic bags and kept it in a freezer for a couple weeks prior to bringing it to my quarters.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

know anyone using a dog to detect bedbugs? What type of pesticide do you use to eliminate bedbugs?
      I once paid the equivalent of a US dollar for a two night stay in a hostel like shelter located in a Moroccan village and was inflicted with multiple flea or bedbug bites. I placed my gear and clothing in plastic bags and kept it in a freezer for a couple weeks prior to bringing it to my quarters.
      Tyvek Suit, Face Mask, GLOVES, and Googles. Bedlam Plus to the underside and sides of the box spring, Bedlam Plus all the nearby furniture, bed supports Header and footer. Anything hanging on the wall behind the bed. Open the outlet & phone covers and squirt Cimex Dust and put the covers back on. Sterifab on the top mattress. Then apply Cysmic CS crack and crevices to the entire house, Bedlam Plus the couches, and any chair that has upholstery. Then Wash and dry all clothing, bedding... Then do it all again 10-15 days later .... then do it again 10 -15 days later, with a nicotine based spray.

That is the short version Bed Bugs are not a do it yourself situation. Mess up and you can make yourself very sick. Some people have ended up in the hospital and some have died. The bug now has 26 different products that can kill it and it still resistant to most drugs. Your success will be based in diligence. Also keep in mind that there are other bugs that can nearby that can make you think you have BB. - The presence of the Harlequin Bug, and Carpet beetles.

You don't need a BB dog. Google Bed Bug Evidence.

domyownpestcontrol.com/bed-bug-kit-p-230.html
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

know anyone using a dog to detect bedbugs? What type of pesticide do you use to eliminate bedbugs?I once paid the equivalent of a US dollar for a two night stay in a hostel like shelter located in a Moroccan village and was inflicted with multiple flea or bedbug bites. I placed my gear and clothing in plastic bags and kept it in a freezer for a couple weeks prior to bringing it to my quarters.
      Tyvek Suit, Face Mask, GLOVES, and Googles. Bedlam Plus to the underside and sides of the box spring, Bedlam Plus all the nearby furniture, bed supports Header and footer. Anything hanging on the wall behind the bed. Open the outlet & phone covers and squirt Cimex Dust and put the covers back on. Sterifab on the top mattress. Then apply Cysmic CS crack and crevices to the entire house, Bedlam Plus the couches, and any chair that has upholstery. Then Wash and dry all clothing, bedding... Then do it all again 10-15 days later .... then do it again 10 -15 days later, with a nicotine based spray.
      That is the short version Bed Bugs are not a do it yourself situation. Mess up and you can make yourself very sick. Some people have ended up in the hospital and some have died. The bug now has 26 different products that can kill it and it still resistant to most drugs. Your success will be based in diligence. Also keep in mind that there are other bugs that can nearby that can make you think you have BB. - The presence of the Harlequin Bug, and Carpet beetles.

Sounds like we should vacuum them up and drop them on terrorists.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

know anyone using a dog to detect bedbugs? What type of pesticide do you use to eliminate bedbugs?I once paid the equivalent of a US dollar for a two night stay in a hostel like shelter located in a Moroccan village and was inflicted with multiple flea or bedbug bites. I placed my gear and clothing in plastic bags and kept it in a freezer for a couple weeks prior to bringing it to my quarters.
      Tyvek Suit, Face Mask, GLOVES, and Googles. Bedlam Plus to the underside and sides of the box spring, Bedlam Plus all the nearby furniture, bed supports Header and footer. Anything hanging on the wall behind the bed. Open the outlet & phone covers and squirt Cimex Dust and put the covers back on. Sterifab on the top mattress. Then apply Cysmic CS crack and crevices to the entire house, Bedlam Plus the couches, and any chair that has upholstery. Then Wash and dry all clothing, bedding... Then do it all again 10-15 days later .... then do it again 10 -15 days later, with a nicotine based spray.That is the short version Bed Bugs are not a do it yourself situation. Mess up and you can make yourself very sick. Some people have ended up in the hospital and some have died. The bug now has 26 different products that can kill it and it still resistant to most drugs. Your success will be based in diligence. Also keep in mind that there are other bugs that can nearby that can make you think you have BB. - The presence of the Harlequin Bug, and Carpet beetles.

They just made their way to the best hotel's in Saudi Arabia - they love the Air conditioning

Sounds like we should vacuum them up and drop them on terrorists.
    • Urine is not sterile, even before it comes out of you and gets contaminated by your skin. Bacteria are present at low levels in the urine of healthy people not suffering from a urinary tract infection, Evann Hilt of Loyola University of Chicago reported May 18 at a conference of the American Society for Microbiology.
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.