Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

EMS closing...............again

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• EMS closing...............again

The rumor at the climbing gym my son goes to says that Eastern Mountain Sports will be closing.
      This supposedly was from an employee so I went on line in search of evidence and found this.............

Eastern Outfitters LLC, parent company of Eastern Mountain Sports and Bob's store, wants to close about half of its store - including 27 of its 51 EMS stores.
      Two of the stores targeted to close are at Destiny USA and Towne Center in Fayetteville, according to bankruptcy court documents.
      The Meriden, Conn.-based company filed for bankruptcy protection in February. The plan to close the stores still needs bankruptcy court approval.
      There is no word yet on when the stores will close.
      Eastern Mountain Sports sells outdoor and camping gear and supplies.
      Bob's Stores sells sneakers and clothing. The retailer wants to close 21 of its 35 Bob's Stores.
      Eastern Outfitters had planned to close all its store, but Sports Direct signed an agreement to provide an $85 million loan to help it repay some of its debts, and is looking at possible acquisition of some of the locations, according to The Wall Street Journal.
      Eastern Outfitters listed assets and liabilities in the range of $100 million to $500 million, according to Fortune.

Eastern Outfitters is owned by private equity firm Versa Capital Management, which acquired Bob's and Eastern Mountain Sports through the bankruptcy last year of Vestis Retail Group, the previous owner of the store chains.
      Versa said at the time that Eastern Outfitters had more than $400 million in annual revenue. The two retailers and Sports Chalet were indirectly owned by Versa when it filed for Chapter 11 in April. Versa bought the chains back during the course of the bankruptcy, according to Fortune.
      The Eastern Mountain Sports store opened in Towne Center in 2005, and has been at Destiny USA and Carousel Center even longer. A store in Great Northern Mall closed in 1999.
      The list of EMS stores slated to close:
      • Buckland Hills, CT
      • Fairfield, CT
      • Wilmington, DE
      • Berkshire, MA
      • Boston, MA
      • Lynnfield, MA
      • Northborough, MA
      • Annapolis, MD
      • Portland, ME
      • Nashua, NH
      • Salem, NH
      • Eatontown, NJ
      • Amherst, NY
      • Carle Place (Plaza 200), NY
      • Fayetteville, NY
      • Niskayuna, NY
      • Poughkeepsie, NY
      • Scarsdale, NY
      • Syracuse, NY
      • Collegeville, PA
      • Exton, PA
      • Haverford, PA
      • Lancaster, PA
      • Middletown, RI
      • Burlington, VT
      • Manchester, VT
      • Rutland, VT
    • EMS has been very good to me over the years. Their old store in my area (now closed) went through great pains to only hire hardcore hikers, river rats, ski bums, and cyclists who were passonate about their craft and loved to give sound advice and talk shop. It was the kind of knowledge and service that kept me coming back. I am now friends with three of the former employees that I met while I was a customer and we still keep in touch. They're store brand was top notch and an amazing value and I regularly made out like a bandit with their end of season discounts. (My zero degree EMS down bag was purchased for $80 because they were changing models)

Vestis royally screwed the pooch when they tried to combine the operations and supply chains of EMS, Ski Chalet, and Bob's stores. I have friends who used to work in their corporate office and have heard horror stories about what happened a few years back. This current bankruptcy seems to be simply a continuation of unresolved problems from a few years ago when their previous restructuing left them with strict and unfavorable credit terms from their suppliers.

I don't know if the company will survive much longer, but I sure hope they do, I miss the days when they were my "local" outfitter.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • EMS was always my local store from the time I started camping. The year I did my thru I knew most of the staff on first name basis. That year was a lot of special order stuff. I also have worn a lot of their gear I bought when they went on special. I remember when I took their Ice Climbing Course. I showed up in an EMS Parka. The guides were jelouse because mine had a hood that could be rolled up into the large collar. They were the testers for new apparal & the prototypes didn't have one.
    • Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

Only time I was in a store was Manchester Center, VT this past summer. Had bought some stuff online from them also.
      Same here. I thought it was a nice store.
      Yeah, I would have appreciated having them for "my local store".
      Amazon.com had become the local store for enough folks to close brick and mortar stores, many more will fall by the way side, the new Gander Mountain is closing here in Gadsden...free shipping on orders over $25 and no sales tax, which is 9% here, is hard to compete with, I am at this moment trying to determine what to add for $13 to my $12 order from Amazon to get free shipping which would cost $7....you have to admit, they have a great business model.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

Only time I was in a store was Manchester Center, VT this past summer. Had bought some stuff online from them also.
      Amazon.com had become the local store for enough folks to close brick and mortar stores, many more will fall by the way side, the new Gander Mountain is closing here in Gadsden...free shipping on orders over $25 and no sales tax, which is 9% here, is hard to compete with, I am at this moment trying to determine what to add for $13 to my $12 order from Amazon to get free shipping which would cost $7....you have to admit, they have a great business model.
      Amazon has had a great growth model, but despite their size I don't know that they've ever turned a profit. Eventually their prices will go up or they will find themselves in the same situation as the brick and mortar stores that they drove out of business.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

Amazon has had a great growth model, but despite their size I don't know that they've ever turned a profit. Eventually their prices will go up or they will find themselves in the same situation as the brick and mortar stores that they drove out of business.
      All things have a life cycle, good leadership = long life, poor leadership = short life....but eventually they are all replaced by another.
    • I bought my EMS 20 degree down semi-rectangular bag back in 1999. Just used it on my section hike last month. Really good piece of gear.

My understanding is that EMS stopped making serious gear years ago and started selling 'lifestyle' gear and clothing. The last time I visited the Lancaster PA store, I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket and still left empty handed.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • I and my sister went to the Gadsden Gander Mountain store and they were just not wanting to wait on us. I'm not surprised they are closing. They argued loudly for several minutes over who was going to wait on us and then who was going to ring up my purchase. We never went back. I saw no reason to be treated that way. Walmart gives better service.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

I bought my EMS 20 degree down semi-rectangular bag back in 1999. Just used it on my section hike last month. Really good piece of gear.

My understanding is that EMS stopped making serious gear years ago and started selling 'lifestyle' gear and clothing. The last time I visited the Lancaster PA store, I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket and still left empty handed.
      That may have briefly been the case under one of the intermediate owners, however I have been buying their gear regularly for the past ten years and it's all top notch. Two of my buddies purchased their new zero degree down bag this winter and I think it's one of the top value bags on the market.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

A buddy owns a local bike shop and frequently has folks come in, ask questions about a particular bike or accessory, and sometimes while still in the store order the item online to save a few dollars.

On a different note, Amazon entered onto a deal with the state of Utah to collect sales tax on all purchases originating in the state in return for an 1.8% fee.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

You should consider Prime.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

you might want to check on that "no sales tax" thing. i just yesterday received an order from amazon which charged me the full 9% sales tax. same with a recent order from walmart.
    • chief wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

NoAngel wrote:

Astro wrote:

you might want to check on that "no sales tax" thing. i just yesterday received an order from amazon which charged me the full 9% sales tax. same with a recent order from walmart.
      Yeah, I get hit with taxes on some orders, don't know why some and not all...it's coming...politicians will always find a way into your wallet.
    • Just learned something in researching Alabama's sales tax rules:

For internet purchases, if taxes are not charged by the online retailer then you are subject to pay Use Tax for those purchases, which is the same rate as Sales Tax. I've never heard of anyone paying it, but legally the state can come after you for it the same as if it were any other state tax.

Happily both my pension and my SS are exempt from state taxes and my property taxes are dirt cheap.
    • Still have, and use, a fair amount of EMS branded equipment.

The avy shovel and my beater down coat are with me on a lot of trips in particular. (Which reminds me, I really, really, really, need to clean that coat. :) )

When I was in Rhode Island, it was a "real" outdoor store not far away.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

Well it was a good run... folks now buy at Dicks Sport for crap, Cabelas for better stuff, and the internet for that "wow find" things change folks.
      Dick's had a rather large store located in a mall close rather suddenly this spring. Don't know whether it was the mall (built for the 02 Olympics) which was declining or the store selection as I am rarely in the area.

However both Cabelas and Scheels have opened locations in the past year.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • PaulMags wrote:

On the plus side, this thread made me clean the coat. $9 at cleaners (less than the cost of the solution, plus many quarters and time!)

Coat is all lofty again and looks brand new. Well, except for the patch I put on 8 years ago. ;)
      I never had much luck with the tech washes, sure they work...but nothin' beats a brand new finish, it laughs at rain, not the tech wash, it works for a bit and then wets out. Others mmv.
    • uncle meat wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

On the plus side, this thread made me clean the coat. $9 at cleaners (less than the cost of the solution, plus many quarters and time!)

Coat is all lofty again and looks brand new. Well, except for the patch I put on 8 years ago. ;)
      I never had much luck with the tech washes, sure they work...but nothin' beats a brand new finish, it laughs at rain, not the tech wash, it works for a bit and then wets out. Others mmv.
      How does one add a brand new finish to modern shell fabrics?
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

Buy a new jacket?
    • Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

I agree - but nothing lasts forever... going to miss EMS.
      They are not dead yet. I am worried about Victoria's Secret if they close the world will end.
      I once had a girlfriend who worked there. When she told my mom where she worked, I wondered if my mom knew what it was.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

Blue Jay La Fey wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

I agree - but nothing lasts forever... going to miss EMS.
      They are not dead yet. I am worried about Victoria's Secret if they close the world will end.
      Really? I don't think my wife has anything Victoria's Secret and she's not in a panic.
      This really isn't about your wife is it?
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • SarcasmTheElf wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

PaulMags wrote:

What DB said.