Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

John Muir Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

I was at a conference at Keystone CO (9000 ft +?) One of the speakers blacked out during his talk. A few minutes in, we noticed his grammar was a little off. Subtle at first and no one was quite sure what was going on. Then it gradually got worse to the point he was just reciting random words. Then he just stopped talking and stood there motionless for about 30 seconds. Then he just sat down. It was very odd. He got up about a half hour later, apologized and got through his whole talk on the srcond try. He said he was altitude disadvantaged because he cam from Australia.
      Australians are also up side down which adds an additional challenge
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Mountain-Mike wrote:

twistwrist wrote:

Wow, the prices to pick up a resupply at all of the locations are outrageous...up to $100 just to pick up the package?! Is it simply because of the remoteness of the trail? Obviously I'm not used to that from the A.T.
      I take it you are talking about Muir Trail Ranch. It's remote. Supplies come by pack train or boat. It's the reason I opoted for Vermillion Valley RFesort & a long walk on a side trail into Sequia NP CG.
      What I see here is: bearfoottheory.com/john-muir-trail-resupply/
      Red's Meadow - $40 to pick up a resupply
      Muir Trail Ranch - $70
      Onion Valley - $75

Does that sound about right? I read of another place when I posted this original post that charged $100, but it was on a different site I suppose.
      www.appalachiantrailclarity.com - Life on the A.T.

Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself.
    • For resupply I mailed a package to the Tuolumne Meadows PO, Mammoth Lakes PO (there is a shuttle from Devils Postpile to Mamouth Lake) and to Muir Trail Ranch. I packed ten days worth of food into my Expedition size Bearikade for the last leg from Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney. So the only resupply I actually had to pay for was MTR. If you are not too picky, you could almost resupply from their hiker box. They had an insane amount of stuff.

I spent an excellent night at Muir Trail Ranch and I was very happy with that choice.

If you use the Tuolumne PO for resupply, beware that they hand out hiker packages only at certain times.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier