Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Backpack list for small grandaughters!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Backpack list for small grandaughters!

Well Ashley is intrigued with hammocks... I will set up one this weekend.

I am looking for idea's as a starter for kids. Her father - Austin did not enter the trail till 11 years old. Ashley is 6 for short hikes.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • ____ Prescription medications and copies of the prescription & med card

____ First-aid kit

____ Thermometer

____ Children's pain reliever

____ Antibiotic ointment for cuts and scrapes

____ Allergy relievers, if necessary

____ Motion sickness relievers

____ Night-lights Cylume

____ candies, or chewing gum to ease air pressure

____ Plastic bags

____ Durable toys

____ Car seat

____ Paper towels or napkins

____ Extra changes of clothing (for you and your child)

____ Backpack, Sleeping bag and pad.

____ Hand sanitizer or sanitizing wipes

____ Bottled water & Mio Flavor

____ Security blanket or stuffed animal

Packing by Age

____ Spork

____ Sippy cup

____ Travel Games

____ Snacks & Granola Bars

____ Small deck of cards

____ Travel-size baby shampoo

Packing by Destination

If it will be warm at your destination, also include:

____ Waterproof sunblock

____ Insect repellent

____ Hat or cap

____ Ear drops for swimming
      ____ Swimsuit & towel

If it will be cold at your destination, also include:

____ Long underwear

____ Gloves or mittens

____ Scarf

____ Warm hat

____ Vaseline, to protect face and lips from chapping
    • positively disturbing... I am running on super (NON CLUE) there isnt much information out there. I am surrounded by a group of knowledgeable people and no posts... Yea I am asking for help here. I havn't a daughter and now I have a granddaughter and I am really asking for help/ and she is so stoked!
    • A lot will depend on the weight and physical condition, along with age that will dictate the amount of weight they can carry. I've never considered my nieces, when we take them, the same as me and the other boys in scouts growing up.
      Our youngest niece started out just carrying a pillow, sleeping clothes, a few snacks, and a little water. As they got older more got added and the pillow got smaller.
    • I was the guardian for several years of a high energy boy starting at age 4. He immediately wanted hike and camp. I found a small woman's backpack for him but was careful not to overload it. The rule was he had to carry a change of clothing, all of his snacks, and the first aid kit. I carried his sleeping bag and change of weather gear.

We started by walking the neighbourhood to determine his capability and than progressed to short hikes to a campsite. When he moved on, he was hiking 5-6 miles carrying most of his gear and of course his snacks.

One item to remember. Children do not regulate their core body temperature well. They get colder and of course hotter faster than adults. Take care to ensure she's properly attired for the weather conditions.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • meat wrote:

c'mon Woo, you got this, no different at that age really than hiking wit da boys...I refer you to the "hike cute" thread on TOS.
      Clearly that thread was not what I am looking for... I have a six year old begging to get out there - I just bought a $100 3year fishing license so we can go river/lake fishing.. Guess I am hooting up the wrong tree in the woods.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

meat wrote:

c'mon Woo, you got this, no different at that age really than hiking wit da boys...I refer you to the "hike cute" thread on TOS.
      Clearly that thread was not what I am looking for... I have a six year old begging to get out there - I just bought a $100 3year fishing license so we can go river/lake fishing.. Guess I am hooting up the wrong tree in the woods.
      a life preserver would be a good start, start a worm bed, tie some flies, make and paint some cork plugs.
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

meat wrote:

I for one would like to know how her hiking experience evolves.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I think what you pack for your grand daughter would be very dependent on how far and how long you'll be out for and how many miles you expect t cover. A simple overnighter would require a lot less than a multi-day trip. More important than the things you carry will be the things that make the trip fun for her. Things like playing at a stream, climbing on big rocks, swimming in a lake, trying to start a fire, and on and on and on. Above all, have fun and enjoy her company! :)
    • I don't think a six year old girl would worry about whether the boys find her attractive, especially since the boys her age aren't interested in girls yet. I would expect a girl that age to be more interested in playing dress up to look like a female adult role model in her life, and that would not necessarily spill over into other activities like hiking. I am just a guy, but I have parted my hair the same way as my dad for as long as I can remember.

I looked at the photo on TOS. I generally prefer straight hair, so the perm was wasted on me.

I once read a psychological study of why men are attracted to faces. The conclusion was that the most attractive faces have features most closely resembling the average. But that is clearly not the whole story, as women of exotic appearance can be irresistible.
    • Camera? Binoculars? Field guides to plants and animals? Butterfly net? If you don't trust her with a better camera, maybe take a disposable camera. Ventilated jar for catching fireflies or bumblebees?

Yeah, I hung out with a girl in kindergarten. I even offered her pickle juice to drink. I showed her my penny collection, and she took it to the candy store. I don't remember appearance mattering to either of us, although it is hard to speak for her.
    • SandyofPA wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dmax wrote:

How much does she weigh?
      How tall is she?
      How far does she day hike?
      Does she carry a day pack on day hikes?
      Gotta know these before more info about items I pack can be answered
      She is six and 43 ponunds and 44 inches - and this is an introduction. To day walking.
      That is easy then, water, lunch, rain jacket, whistle. You carry the first aid kit.

SandyofPA wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dmax wrote:

How much does she weigh?
      How tall is she?
      She is six and 43 ponunds and 44 inches - and this is an introduction. To day walking.
      That is easy then, water, lunch, rain jacket, whistle. You carry the first aid kit.
      And a sit pad.
    • Dmax wrote:

SandyofPA wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dmax wrote:

How much does she weigh?
      How tall is she?

SandyofPA wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Dmax wrote:

How much does she weigh?
      How tall is she?
      She is six and 43 pounds and 44 inches - and this is an introduction. To day walking.
      And a sit pad.
      OK and she wants to carry the box of band-aids...You would laugh if you saw the rain jacket... I have to find the picv.