Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking trip with my family!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hiking trip with my family!

Hi all,
      I’m starting this thread to get some ideas regarding hiking. I’m thinking of taking my family for hiking and trekking in the coming month. I have saved money for almost 1 year and ideally, I want to take them for around 10 days. I don’t have much experience in hiking or trekking.

So far we have visited many places. And this time we are planning to visit Duck provincial park. I have heard that it is one of the best places for trekking. One of my friends had told me to buy safety shoes while going for trekking. It would be safer if we have safety shoes.
      If anyone has bought online, please give some suggestions. And also, what are the things we should be careful while going for hiking?"
    • What part of the world is Duck Park? I have never heard of safety shoes for hiking, and I have been hiking for over 40 years. Weight on your feet is very tiring so I use the lightest shoes that protect my feet from rocks. Because of my age I also carry the lightest pack that will do the job. Welcome to the Café, where we revel in doing it all wrong!
    • Not sure why you would think you need safety shoes for hiking. When I think safety shoes I think steel toed boots as in construction shoes/boots. I like a hiking shoe like Keen's Voyager or Oboz Sawtooth or a trail runner like Altra Lone Peaks.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Colin Fletcher in. His excellent book The Complete Walker says that 1 pound on the foot is like 5 pounds on the back. I wear sneakers or light hiking boots for hiking.

Day hikes will show you what you and your family can do easily and safely.

Steel toed are too heavy for hiking.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • I've only seen military drills in movies and on TV, but from what little I've seen, it seems like keeping the barrel pointed skyward is wise, although I wouldn't want to be hit by a falling bullet.

Do hunters tend to blow their toes off? A rifle sling might be better than steel toed footwear.

I hope you enjoy thread drift, Joyal. Get used to it. ☺
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

I've only seen military drills in movies and on TV, but from what little I've seen, it seems like keeping the barrel pointed skyward is wise, although I wouldn't want to be hit by a falling bullet.

Do hunters tend to blow their toes off? A rifle sling might be better than steel toed footwear.

I hope you enjoy thread drift, Joyal. Get used to it. ☺
      I don't know anyone who hunts in steel toe safety boots....

I do know folks that hunt in some stupid(IMHO) footwear, but not steel toe boots.

Hunters tend to blow the back of the leg off the hunter in front of them when a non-intentional discharge occurs....or their face, e.g. Dick Cheney.......most of hunting is a solitary pursuit of a single animal....some of it, like catahoula dogs and wild boars, can become a dangerous circus in the blink of an eye...
    • joyal11 is a spammer , albeit a clever one. Adding in enough hiking content to appear legit, then throwing in some click bait to make money on forum members who click on the link.

I see the same post format on the motorcycle forum I moderate. In my case, the links are for a locksmith.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

joyal11 is a spammer , albeit a clever one. Adding in enough hiking content to appear legit, then throwing in some click bait to make money on forum members who click on the link.

I see the same post format on the motorcycle forum I moderate. In my case, the links are for a locksmith.
      Thanks, that confirmed my suspicion.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

joyal11 is a spammer , albeit a clever one. Adding in enough hiking content to appear legit, then throwing in some click bait to make money on forum members who click on the link.

Thanks, that confirmed my suspicion.
      It was pretty evident from the get go.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • JimBlue wrote:

Colin Fletcher in. His excellent book The Complete Walker says that 1 pound on the foot is like 5 pounds on the back. I wear sneakers or light hiking boots for hiking.

It's the first day of the rest of your life, congratulation on an excelent book choice and one that been on my night stand for more that 30 years! His other titles you my like as well.

"The thousand mile summer" a memwa of his hike on the cdt or pct or maybe it was pvc... I forget just now, good book anyway. Also "the man who walked through time" about his 400 mile throuhike of the Grand Canyon. I believe all out of print now, but can still be found online from used book dealers.
    • JimBlue wrote:

I have his 1st and 4th, likely his last edition, and the thousand mile summer. I found it interesting on how he backpacked the Grand Canyon. I probably also have his pacific crest trail book to.
      Those are great books to take on a hike, thin, don't make up much room, not to heavy...the complete walker would be a bit much even by my standards.
    • meat wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Colin Fletcher in. His excellent book The Complete Walker says that 1 pound on the foot is like 5 pounds on the back. I wear sneakers or light hiking boots for hiking.

It's the first day of the rest of your life, congratulation on an excelent book choice and one that been on my night stand for more that 30 years! His other titles you my like as well.
      "The thousand mile summer" a memwa of his hike on the cdt or pct or maybe it was pvc... I forget just now, good book anyway. Also "the man who walked through time" about his 400 mile throuhike of the Grand Canyon. I believe all out of print now, but can still be found online from used book dealers.
      Hiking the PVC requires excellent balance and non-slip soles.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

What link? I don't see no link?
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Did it somehow get removed. I know I saw it there earlier.
    • Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

I removed it
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Rasty wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

I removed it
      Good, I suspected that, but at my age who knows. :rolleyes: