Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Gear changes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gear changes

As a result of the crappy weather I encountered going over Mt Rodgers and Grayson Highlands I made a couple of gear changes. I had always used a poncho and let my legs get wet. Well this trip they got cold and I wished for rain pants. Went to Wally World and bought some Frogg toggs. Really impressed with the lightness. Almost as light as my wind shirt and wind pants. Went to the PO and mailed the wind shirt and pants home. The other change I made is shoe inserts. I had been using Meindls from Cabelas and really liked them until the other day in the rain. They are like frigging sponges. Horrible. Changed them out for a pair of hopefully less water absorbent Dr Scholls.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • The Frogg toggs ul2 is a mixed review for me. I ripped out the seat of the pants the second time I wore them. The jacket is still kicking strong. I have a heavier set of FT's that have been going for years. This year I plan on cutting the legs off the pants and turn them into rain shorts ... Makes for a good reason to buy some new rain pants.