Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Damascus to??

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Day 1 Damascus to Saunders Shelter 4/1/17

Arrived in Damascus at 1:30 pm at Cowboys and got a cup of coffee and headed north. Crazy Larry was on his front porch so I stopped to talk with him for a bit before heading on up the road. Larry really is a character, in a good way. There was a bridge out with a detour, but the detour was posted wrong as everyone I talked to ended up having to wade across. No big deal it was only about 30 feet across and knee deep- pretty typical for what you will encounter up north in Mass and Vermont.
      Saw lots of bikes on the Creeper Trail- I must come back and ride the Creeper as it sure looks like fun. Did just a short day of about 9 miles and camped at Saunders Shelter with 4 others. Past the Evan Williams Honey around to all except the 14 year old and we had camp fire. A good day.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Day 2 Saunders Shelter to Whitetop Mountain 4/2/17
      A beautiful day with no clouds in the sky for almost the whole day. Actually got some sunburn on my arms and had to wear my bandanna under my hat A- Rab style to keep from getting my redneck neck sunburned. The last 5 miles of the day was all up hill with a climb from 2,275 ft to 5,102 ft. Fantastic views from Buzzard Rock and from Whitetop. Camped on the bald near the summit of Whitetop. Camped with two section hikers and the "Energizer Bunny" from Scottland. We had a nice camp fire and past the whiskey around (except for the minor, again). A great star filled night. 12 mile day.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Day 3 Whitetop Mtn to Wise Shelter 4/3/17
      Woke to a cloudy morning with the fog rolling in and it would deteriorate from there. Visibility dropped to less than 100 ft and the wind picked up to I would say about 40 mph with rain. Just Wonderful ! (dripping with sarcasm). Stopped at Wise Shelter after 11.7 miles as it started thundering and lightning. Spent the night in the shelter with 6 others.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Day 4 Wise Shelter to Trimpi Shelter 4/4/17
      Got up early and had poles on the ground 7:30 am. It was very windy the first two miles and the trail was flooded and somewhat difficult to follow. This is where the 14 year old took a wrong turn and went on a big solo loop. Saw three ponies near the parking lot. The trail went across Comers Creek Cascades- spectacular. Ran across the young couple thru hiking with the baby. The mother was carrying the baby on her back, hope she never falls like I did the day before- the saturated ground gave way and my feet went over my head and I landed squarely on my back. Heard there was a bad storm coming so I planned on a long day today and a short day tomorrow into Marion. Just one other hiker (Skydiver) at the shelter, I am tarping and he is hammocking.
      20 mile day.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

Day 3 Whitetop Mtn to Wise Shelter 4/3/17
      Woke to a cloudy morning with the fog rolling in and it would deteriorate from there. Visibility dropped to less than 100 ft and the wind picked up to I would say about 40 mph with rain. Just Wonderful ! (dripping with sarcasm). Stopped at Wise Shelter after 11.7 miles as it started thundering and lightning. Spent the night in the shelter with 6 others.

Man that's some thick ass fog! That's damn near a cloud! Careful up there, don't want any midairs. :D
    • Day 5 Trimpi Shelter to Marion April 5 and April6
      Got up early and hiked the 10.8 miles to the Mt. Rogers Visitor Center and took the bus down the mountain to Marion. Original plan was just to resupply and get my coffee/cheeseburger/beer fix but reports of a potentially nasty storm headed my way I decided to check into the Travelers Inn. The wind picked up again and the rain began. Did the usual town chores and headed to MickeyDs to get my burger and coffee fix. Zeroed the next day as the winds were predicted up to 60 mph with rain/sleet/snow. Ate a fantastic mexican meal with Tecate beer at Mi Puerto.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Day 6 Marion to Atkins April 7
      Took the 11 am bus back to the top of the mountain even though the winds were still supposed to be 30 mph + (they were) and it was supposed to snow at higher elevations (it did). Met "Cropduster " on the bus who earned his named farting as he past a fellow hiker. It started flurring right as we got off the bus. By the time we climbed out of the gap there was about 2" on the ground. The snow stopped about 2pm and it warmed up melting almost all of it. Stopped in the one room school house for pictures and trail magic. Dinner at the Red Barn - had them make me cheeseburger with mustard, onions, and chili (redneck or Carolina burger) and spent the night at the old motel. 11.1 miles.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • NoAngel wrote:

Day 6 Marion to Atkins April 7
      Took the 11 am bus back to the top of the mountain even though the winds were still supposed to be 30 mph + (they were) and it was supposed to snow at higher elevations (it did). Met "Cropduster " on the bus who earned his named farting as he past a fellow hiker. It started flurring right as we got off the bus. By the time we climbed out of the gap there was about 2" on the ground. The snow stopped about 2pm and it warmed up melting almost all of it. Stopped in the one room school house for pictures and trail magic. Dinner at the Red Barn - had them make me cheeseburger with mustard, onions, and chili (redneck or Carolina burger) and spent the night at the old motel. 11.1 miles.
      you had me at Mexican food :D
    • Day 7 Atkins to Lick Creek April 8
      Up and at it early, packed up and waiting for the Red Barn to open for breakfast at 7am. Of course I wolfed down the Hiker Breakfast of pancakes, sausage, bacon, grits, biscuits and several cups of coffee. We had long morning up hill, then thru some pastures and then more up hill pastures. Stopped on the top of one of these pastures for lunch with a great view of the surrounding valley and mountains.Stopped just after crossing Lick Creek and stealth camped with Cropduster and Walden. Had a nice dinner on the bridge over the creek. 18.1 miles.

"Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Day 8 Lick Creek to Ft Bastian April 9
      Woke to a cold morning and my water actually froze as I poured it from a liter bottl into my 2 smaller 20 oz bottles. Big up hill this morning and I flushed two beautiful turkeys on my way up. Past Chestnut Knob Shelter, across some nice balds, past Jenkins shelterand on to Ft Bastian. Met by Mountain Mike down the road with beers and enjoyed some passing of stories with more beer and some whiskey around the camp fire. 20.3 trail miles.

Unfortunately I awoke at 1:30 and 4:30 with the heaves and squirts of the dreaded nora virus. Laid in camp all the next day and went home after that as I was too weak and running out of time to complete my intended section. But I still had a great time and it was nice to meet Mountain Mike.
      Images
      • DSC02424.JPG

261.55 kB, 800×600, viewed 236 times
      • DSC02433.JPG

253.93 kB, 800×600, viewed 261 times
      • DSC02434 - Copy.JPG

286.65 kB, 800×600, viewed 249 times
      • DSC02435.JPG

195.34 kB, 800×600, viewed 244 times
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • "Woke to a cold morning and my water actually froze as I poured it from a liter bottl into my 2 smaller 20 oz bottles."

Under cooled water.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • I should have taken a picture of it. None of my water bottles had any ice on or in them. But when I opened the liter smart water bottle and started pouring from it into my 20 oz Gatorade bottle, the water coming out immediately began to freeze so that I had this frozen tongue of ice sticking out of the smart water bottle that I had to keep breaking off. I've never seen water freeze that fast.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

Chili mornin' eh boy's?

I kinda chuckle when people ask "I'm leaving April 1st will I really need a jacket, hat or gloves?"
      That is why if I ever get to do a thru, I am leaving early May instead March or April.
      You just never know what you're going to get no matter when you start...God has a sense of humor...started at Springer 3/12, hot, hot, hot...started back at Hampton on or about 4/15, heavy snow, high winds, single digits some nights.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

Chili mornin' eh boy's?

I kinda chuckle when people ask "I'm leaving April 1st will I really need a jacket, hat or gloves?"
      That is why if I ever get to do a thru, I am leaving early May instead March or April.
      Hike fast. :D
      You don't really have to hike fast, just consistent. How many zeros do early starters take du to weather? Some times multiples at same place. If you're not in the party crowd neros can get you through town stops.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

Chili mornin' eh boy's?

You would be surprised how steady can keep up with fast on a long hike. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

Chili mornin' eh boy's?

slow and steady wins the race
      Tell that to Mario Andretti
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

meat wrote:

Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

Chili mornin' eh boy's?

slow and steady wins the race
      Tell that to Mario Andretti
      Cof124

Point taken
    • Drybones wrote:

That stone shelter past Atkins was nice, only got to stop and eat lunch there though.
      When I got to the Chestnut Knob Shelter, I dropped my pack, laid down in the grass to soak up the sun, and told my hiking partner that I was done for the day. One of my better decisions on the AT. I even got to meet Dakota Joe later in the day.

Felt so good the next day that I pulled a 22-miler to Route 52.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Astro wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

Chili mornin' eh boy's?

I was thinking average miles per day, not MPH. I went 26 miles at 2 MPH in one day south along the AT starting at the Mason Dixon line, and I have walked in rain, snow, ice, slush, and hail.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Drybones wrote:

That stone shelter past Atkins was nice, only got to stop and eat lunch there though.
      When I got to the Chestnut Knob Shelter, I dropped my pack, laid down in the grass to soak up the sun, and told my hiking partner that I was done for the day. One of my better decisions on the AT. I even got to meet Dakota Joe later in the day.
      Felt so good the next day that I pulled a 22-miler to Route 52.
      what's joe up to?
    • meat wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Drybones wrote:

When I got to the Chestnut Knob Shelter, I dropped my pack, laid down in the grass to soak up the sun, and told my hiking partner that I was done for the day. One of my better decisions on the AT. I even got to meet Dakota Joe later in the day.Felt so good the next day that I pulled a 22-miler to Route 52.
      what's joe up to?
      The last I heard (read) doing time.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • TrafficJam wrote:

You saw The Baby? What was your impression of the family?
      I talked to them for about five minutes. It was late in the day and I had several more miles to go. Going sobo there was no where for them to camp for at least 5 or 6 miles. I thought they were very very naive. Basically young and nice and nuckin' futz.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

meat wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

Drybones wrote:

When I got to the Chestnut Knob Shelter, I dropped my pack, laid down in the grass to soak up the sun, and told my hiking partner that I was done for the day. One of my better decisions on the AT. I even got to meet Dakota Joe later in the day.Felt so good the next day that I pulled a 22-miler to Route 52.
      what's joe up to?
      The last I heard (read) doing time.
      Aren't we all.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.