Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hike with a Knife poll

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rasty wrote:

Drybones wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder about The Elf, I thought he lived up north but with the stuff he's coming up with he must live below the M-D line.
      Growing up in rural New York makes you realize that woodchucks are just northern rednecks.
      I lived in a little town called Dansville in the Finger Lakes Region for 5 years, was really surprised how conservative folks were there and how rural NY could be, the neighborhood was kind of Mayberryish, folks walked by the house and stopped to talk, kids played on the sidewalks, deer came into the yard, wild turkey walking up the middle of the street in front of the house...in warmer weather we had all our meals on the front porch and socialized with the passers by.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • ScareBear wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

That's what the safety pin is for. :thumbsup:
      The Schrade was chosen because it doesn't have a point. One of the functions I need is to be able to deploy the knife in a hypothermia event to cut a pack off or cut into a pack. I don't need to be stabbing myself or anyone else. It's also a good river knife. You don't want pointy things on things that rely upon air pressure to stay afloat...just sayin...

For under $20, it's a steal....

Interesting video - but I prefer the point. I do not like the idea of watching him put his thumb on the blade to shave the bark off.
      I have reconsidered the usefulness of this knife....... was wishing I had one while trying to scrape peanut butter and jelly from those small cups to make a sandwich on the trail this week end...my sharp pointed knife was a PITA for this task.
      I am stumped, there are lots of great neck knives and this Shade as I like the name, is not one of them... I saw better choices at the REI center.
      So, you've personally tested my knife? I don't understand what your beef with a sub-20 dollar knife from a reputable manufacturer is? Would I have rather bought the NRS Pilot that I suspect you are referring to? Not really. What does it do that my knife doesn't? Is it sharper? Pointy-er? Lighter? Better metal? And, I don't wear it on my neck. It is lashed to a shoulder strap on my pack...
      OK I respect your choice, I don't have a beef with the knife - I did not like the lack of saftey on the hilt, I have had my fair share of cuts while using a knife, Hense, I went to a locking blade and gave away many of Swiss in favor of Gerber or a Bench Made. I prefer a stronger steel, holding an edge, and intentionally well thought out. I since went to REI and tested what was available, and if you like what you got - that's awesome.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

The Schrade was chosen because it doesn't have a point. One of the functions I need is to be able to deploy the knife in a hypothermia event to cut a pack off or cut into a pack. I don't need to be stabbing myself or anyone else. It's also a good river knife. You don't want pointy things on things that rely upon air pressure to stay afloat...just sayin...

Interesting video - but I prefer the point. I do not like the idea of watching him put his thumb on the blade to shave the bark off.
      I have reconsidered the usefulness of this knife....... was wishing I had one while trying to scrape peanut butter and jelly from those small cups to make a sandwich on the trail this week end...my sharp pointed knife was a PITA for this task.
      I am stumped, there are lots of great neck knives and this Shade as I like the name, is not one of them... I saw better choices at the REI center.
      So, you've personally tested my knife? I don't understand what your beef with a sub-20 dollar knife from a reputable manufacturer is? Would I have rather bought the NRS Pilot that I suspect you are referring to? Not really. What does it do that my knife doesn't? Is it sharper? Pointy-er? Lighter? Better metal? And, I don't wear it on my neck. It is lashed to a shoulder strap on my pack...
      OK I respect your choice, I don't have a beef with the knife - I did not like the lack of saftey on the hilt, I have had my fair share of cuts while using a knife, Hense, I went to a locking blade and gave away many of Swiss in favor of Gerber or a Bench Made. I prefer a stronger steel, holding an edge, and intentionally well thought out. I since went to REI and tested what was available, and if you like what you got - that's awesome.
      I don't understand "lack of safety on the hilt"? Do you mean that the knife lacks a quillion or a thumb rise to prevent your thumb from sliding on the knife blade's spine? First, the grip is too short to utilize quillions. Second, a thumb rise would defeat the knife's profile. Third, the knife has significant flat and wide areas on the knife's spines to prevent you from slicing your thumb, should it slide onto the knife's spine....

Having a folder completely defeats the stated purpose for my trail knife and is redundant to my multi-tool Gerber.

The steel on the Schrade is 58-60 on the hardness scale, which is the same as most Benchmade and Gerber, which use AUS-6A, so I really don't understand the stronger steel/holding edge argument?

Look, if I needed a knife that I would use in situations other than an emergency(like if I had to cut things every day) I would go with a far higher quality knife blade. Hell, I've got an original Cold Steel TrailMaster that will go through a freaking car door, but other than chopping wood or gutting a bear, it has no useful purpose for me on any trail. Except maybe the Amazon Trail...

Of course, YMMV. I just couldn't see paying 3 times the price for the NRS Pilot.
    • ScareBear wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

Drybones wrote:

Wise Old Owl wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

I don't understand "lack of safety on the hilt"? Do you mean that the knife lacks a quillion or a thumb rise to prevent your thumb from sliding on the knife blade's spine? First, the grip is too short to utilize quillions. Second, a thumb rise would defeat the knife's profile. Third, the knife has significant flat and wide areas on the knife's spines to prevent you from slicing your thumb, should it slide onto the knife's spine....
      Having a folder completely defeats the stated purpose for my trail knife and is redundant to my multi-tool Gerber.

The steel on the Schrade is 58-60 on the hardness scale, which is the same as most Benchmade and Gerber, which use AUS-6A, so I really don't understand the stronger steel/holding edge argument?

Look, if I needed a knife that I would use in situations other than an emergency(like if I had to cut things every day) I would go with a far higher quality knife blade. Hell, I've got an original Cold Steel TrailMaster that will go through a freaking car door, but other than chopping wood or gutting a bear, it has no useful purpose for me on any trail. Except maybe the Amazon Trail...

Of course, YMMV. I just couldn't see paying 3 times the price for the NRS Pilot.
      Yes and that about sums it up... I agree.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • JimBlue wrote:

Cartoon network showed the same Rick and Marty episode for around 3 hours. Over and over for their April 1st.
      Dats phoced up! :D prolly signed off with porky pig, "That's all folks"
      If I was a kid I would be pissed. I might even go all postal and get all surgeon general about it and break out a butter knife
    • Wise Old Owl wrote:

OK lets get this back on track... As guys you are a train wreck.

What is wrong with Mora?
      Nothing. I have several for use in the kitchen, while car camping, and for carving. The ones I have are easily maintained and relatively inexpensive. However I typically don't carry one while hiking as the blade length could be considered illegal and they are hefty.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC