Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

An incredibly Lucky Climber Survival Story

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I wonder how long it takes to fall 2,000 feet, long enough to make a short groecery list? Long enough to recite the Lord's Prayer? Or maybe even make a phone call to loved ones on speed dial...but certainly there's enough time to kiss your own arse bye bye.

Never mountaineer alone???
    • meat wrote:

I wonder how long it takes to fall 2,000 feet, long enough to make a short groecery list? Long enough to recite the Lord's Prayer? Or maybe even make a phone call to loved ones on speed dial...but certainly there's enough time to kiss your own arse bye bye.

At least 40 seconds by my calculations, assuming a terminal velocity of 53 m/s and neglecting air resistance before reaching terminal velocity. That might be long enough for an Our Father and a few Hail Marys.
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

meat wrote:

I wonder how long it takes to fall 2,000 feet, long enough to make a short groecery list? Long enough to recite the Lord's Prayer? Or maybe even make a phone call to loved ones on speed dial...but certainly there's enough time to kiss your own arse bye bye.

At least 40 seconds by my calculations, assuming a terminal velocity of 53 m/s and neglecting air resistance before reaching terminal velocity. That might be long enough for an Our Father and a few Hail Marys.
      Wow, that's a long time to contemplate death...I like quick goo-byes :D

Glad the fellas alright
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

meat wrote:

certainly long enough to string out OH SHIIIIIT a little longer, between the prayers of course.
    • meat wrote:

Long enough to write a song
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • One of the posters had interesting words...

"Some people don't understand the quest for adventure. Stay home on your couch, Michael James Gudat, where you belong."

When I mention a quest to TH the AT, some folks express disbelief at exposure to weather extremes while others are wishful.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

Sorry, 14.2 seconds. I forgot to use the distance in meters instead of feet.
      A quick mental calculation had me questioning the initial figure, but now I agree.
      I get 11.17 seconds to impact at 2000 feet, assuming instant acceleration to terminal velocity and terminal velocity of around 122mph...add about 8 seconds from standstill to 90 percent of terminal velocity for about a 20 second fall duration...

Just for reference, 90 percent of terminal velocity is 110mph. In a free fall, you reach 50 percent of terminal velocity in around 3 seconds. That is 61mph. A 3 second free fall that terminates instantly is 100 percent fatal. I figure it to be equivalent to jumping off of a 9 story building. It turns the human body into a bag of pulverized goo...
    • Rasty wrote:

I'm fairly certain when falling down a mountain you won't hit terminal velocity.
      You don't need to....50 percent for 3 seconds will get it done...

There's is one "off-piste" ski run at Alta that ends with a cat track traversing the width of the run. It is so steep that unless you can self-arrest in a fall(iffy, at best) you will gather enough speed that when you hit the cat track, it's all over but the funeral...
    • ScareBear wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

A quick mental calculation had me questioning the initial figure, but now I agree.
      I get 11.17 seconds to impact at 2000 feet, assuming instant acceleration to terminal velocity and terminal velocity of around 122mph...add about 8 seconds from standstill to 90 percent of terminal velocity for about a 20 second fall duration...
      Just for reference, 90 percent of terminal velocity is 110mph. In a free fall, you reach 50 percent of terminal velocity in around 3 seconds. That is 61mph. A 3 second free fall that terminates instantly is 100 percent fatal. I figure it to be equivalent to jumping off of a 9 story building. It turns the human body into a bag of pulverized goo...
      Having arrived among the first on scene of several suicides using the free fall method, I tend to agree.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

WanderingStovie wrote:

I get 11.17 seconds to impact at 2000 feet, assuming instant acceleration to terminal velocity and terminal velocity of around 122mph...add about 8 seconds from standstill to 90 percent of terminal velocity for about a 20 second fall duration...Just for reference, 90 percent of terminal velocity is 110mph. In a free fall, you reach 50 percent of terminal velocity in around 3 seconds. That is 61mph. A 3 second free fall that terminates instantly is 100 percent fatal. I figure it to be equivalent to jumping off of a 9 story building. It turns the human body into a bag of pulverized goo...
      Having arrived among the first on scene of several suicides using the free fall method, I tend to agree.
      yikes!