Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2 week trip in Virginia......suggestions?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Welcome to the cafe rickturnbill. That sounds like a great itinerary. You didn't say what time of year. Do it when the park facilities are open so you can resupply in the park and take advantage of the showers and restaurants- see the park's website for schedule. There are quite a few side trails in the park down to falls. At Big Meadows there is maybe a .2. mile side trail to a fall. Just south of Loft Mountain is a side trail to Jones Falls. In between Big Meadows and Loft there is a side trail to South River Falls. At the other end just past The Priest is Spy Rock and nearby is Crabtree Falls.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • If you could squeeze out three weeks, you could probably start at the Northern end of SNP and make it to the triple crown.

Loved SNP for the reasons JJ (NoAngel) lists above. It great to just walk by a Wayside and be able grab a hot meal (you don't have to cook yourself). Also with the camp stores provide resupply options, and be able to take a shower and do laundry is always welcomed. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • WanderingStovie wrote:

Bears Den Hostel could be one stop shopping for parking, shuttle, bunk, shower, laundry, and food.
      Love the hiker special. :thumbup:
      Laundry, frozen pizza, Ben & Jerry's ice cream soft drink.

Just don't leave any gear on the floor if the dog is loose. Ate up the baskets on my hiking poles. :(
      Images
      • 6e9fbf98294d7323dc5d2051a97941a0.jpg

120.93 kB, 752×423, viewed 382 times
    • Wow.....that was quick. Great replies. Much appreciated. We are planning on early June once school is out. I am now leaning for the three week option of pushing through. We hike quite a bit, so should be able to maintain 10-12 mile days. Right now, transportation seems to be the challenge. thanks again. I look forward to following everyone else' trips.
    • The Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba (by McAfee's Knob and Dragon's Tooth) gets rave reviews. Unfortunately it was closed when I went through there. The waysides in SNP however were open. Be sure to get the blackberry shake. If you see Thornton, say hi for me. That's what I named the bear near Thornton gap who parked his butt on the trail and refused to move.
    • The AT runs through Harpers Ferry, WV, with a short walk to the Amtrak Station. The Capitol Limited connects Harpers Ferry and Washington, DC. The MARC Brunswick line also connects HF & DC. The Northeast Regional connects Washington, DC and Lynchburg, VA. A bus connects Lynchburg and Roanoke. The 25 bus takes you within 6 miles of the AT crossing in Daleville. Outdoor Trails in Daleville may be willing to shuttle you, if you want to skip the 6 mile road walk. Following US220 under I-81 is best avoided, although I have done it on foot.

Parking in Harpers Ferry is limited.

The post was edited 6 times, last by WanderingStovie ().

• Drive, park at one end, get a ride to the other end. It's a good strategy for hiking without time pressure.

Or park midway in the longest stretch between convenient resupply options. That minimizes pack weight and/or road miles walked. It may also split up an overly long day driving and sitting on busses, trains, or shuttles. Or you can start with the shortest or easiest walk to a shelter, if you want to leave directly from work or school. Bring a light / headlamp for night hiking.
    • odd man out wrote:

The Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba (by McAfee's Knob and Dragon's Tooth) gets rave reviews. Unfortunately it was closed when I went through there. The waysides in SNP however were open. Be sure to get the blackberry shake. If you see Thornton, say hi for me. That's what I named the bear near Thornton gap who parked his butt on the trail and refused to move.
      Great chance at getting to see (non-aggressive) black bears in SNP. I once saw 7 in 24 hours. :)
      Just don't get caught between a mom and her cubs.
    • odd man out wrote:

The Homeplace Restaurant in Catawba (by McAfee's Knob and Dragon's Tooth) gets rave reviews. Unfortunately it was closed when I went through there. The waysides in SNP however were open. Be sure to get the blackberry shake. If you see Thornton, say hi for me. That's what I named the bear near Thornton gap who parked his butt on the trail and refused to move.
      Homeplace is a great meal to end a hike on. All you can eat choice of roast beef, fried chicken, and ham. Good vegetables and dessert too.
    • odd man out wrote:

It was closed when I hiked through also, however, I lived in Roanoke for five years and did the trip over the mountain to eat there....hiker heaven.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Great chance at getting to see (non-aggressive) black bears in SNP. I once saw 7 in 24 hours. :) Just don't get caught between a mom and her cubs.
      And you may have to shew the deer out of the trail.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Astro wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Great chance at getting to see (non-aggressive) black bears in SNP. I once saw 7 in 24 hours. :) Just don't get caught between a mom and her cubs.
      And you may have to shew the deer out of the trail.
      Yeah, the deer are a whole lot easier to get pictures of.